The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 28, 2018, 06:03 PM   #26
Powermwt

Marlin 1894C are going for just over $600 new.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/41044

New S&W 686 is $700 and up...

I use to have a 1894 in 44 mag... traded it for a S&W Model 28 .357 and I have been happy with it for 40 years.

The only guy that needs to be happy with his purchase is you!
Old December 28, 2018, 11:36 PM   #27
lamarw

usr1987 - The N size frame Mountain Gun in the picture is actually 1 oz. lighter than my L frame size S&W Model 686 with a 4" barrel. That is, until you load the two revolvers and the Mountain Gun is 1 oz. heavier. LOL It throws a larger bullet.
Old December 29, 2018, 12:49 AM   #28
usr1987

My local LGS can get Redhawk 357 5.5 but is 998$ and a Henry is in the same price range. Used ones are non existent and called quite a few local shops. I am quite shocked at the overall cost and also the cost of ammo. 49c/357 and 39c/38spl, is way more than the 9mm at 17c/rd. Considering that I shot around 100-250 rds /month this might be expensive. I might have to reconsider this since I do not want this to turn into a sports car driven on Sunday:-)
Old December 29, 2018, 03:46 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
For that reason I would be giving up the extra round, and going with a Blackhawk, Vaquero, or one of the Uberti SAA copies.
But then again, I would have them in "authentic" 45 Colt.
Either way, you're not fully "authentic." The Single Action Army was originally chambered in .45 Colt, but the Winchester lever action carbines weren't. Those were in .44-40. Back in cowboy days, those who wanted the same cartridge in both their six gun and their saddle gun had to wait until Colt started making the SAA in .44-40. Offering the lever action carbines in .45 Colt is a modern adaptation, not "authentic."
Old December 29, 2018, 08:31 AM   #30
Targa

USR you can order either one of those guns from just about any of the online sale sites for a couple hundred dollars less than that. As far as ammo, buy online, you will be looking at .30 cents a round for .38 spcl and .33-35 cents a round for .357mag.
Old December 29, 2018, 09:50 AM   #31
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
My local LGS can get Redhawk 357 5.5 but is 998$ and a Henry is in the same price range. Used ones are non existent and called quite a few local shops. I am quite shocked at the overall cost and also the cost of ammo. 49c/357 and 39c/38spl, is way more than the 9mm at 17c/rd. Considering that I shot around 100-250 rds /month this might be expensive. I might have to reconsider this since I do not want this to turn into a sports car driven on Sunday:-)
Much cheaper to buy ammo on line and especially in bulk.

Quality, new, large mfg brass case, full power 158gr can be had for 30cpr, a penny or two less as you start upping the quantity. Also, since it's easy to save your brass from revolvers and LGs, you can resell it. Can't speak for certain in your area but you should be able to move it for at least 5cpc, which would make your cost down in the 25cpr neighborhood.

If that got your attention.....

Of course then there is reloading it yourself, which isn't as complicated as many make it seem. For under fifty bucks you can pick up a lee classic loader, mallet and pair of loading blocks (or make your own). Even a beginner can reload at 20cpr, as you start to learn the art of buying and keeping tabs on cost, you can get your costs similar to that of new mfg 9mm.
Old December 29, 2018, 11:29 AM   #32
txray22

Some .357 rifles don't shoot all .38spls well. Check and see what gran bullet is recommended.
Old December 29, 2018, 11:46 AM   #33
Real Gun

I think the Ruger 77/357 pairs up with a double action revolver better than a lever action, and it is not semi-auto about which you are concerned. Where you get into trouble is actually intending to cut costs and shoot 38 Special. Then the rifle of either type doesn't function or is not at its best. However, I too have seen a new Remlin work perfectly shooting 38 Special. It was cowboy action with 10 rounds, but the newer shooter was not at all fast or testing the action's ability at competitive speed. The gun had no work done to it.

The 77/357 has a five round rotary mag,, while the lever actions typically hold 9 or 10. The 77/357 is less likely to encounter a law about round capacity, if you can imagine an 1866-1892 design being condemned. If five rounds seems like too few, consider that additional mags can be carried and I expect to remain legal.

The Redhawk doesn't measure much differently than a Smith N-frame and can share some of the same holsters. Neither gun was intended for concealment, especially the Smith as a police gun carried openly. What I question about the interest is round count. If it holds more than six, you know it is in a platform intended for a larger caliber. I had a 5" GP100 full lug that had no problem shooting the full range of 357 Magnum. The GP100 Match Champion I have now is more of a handful but is up to the task and a more practical gun. Same thing for the 4" S&W 686 I had. You could simply opt for a full lug GP100 with a longer barrel, 5 or 6 inches. Grip choices help with any recoil issues.

The advantage of a loading gate is to be able to quickly, although not fully, reload, even one-handed in the right circumstances. That is why tube-loading Henry Repeating Arms rifles are allowed but not favored in Cowboy Action Shooting.

If you favor a lever action rifle, then the more logical pairing of a revolver would be a single action Blackhawk or Vaquero, noting that you, like me, might prefer to shoot a Redhawk single action in any case. The Redhawk trigger in either single or double action is not the stuff of dreams. The catch with the Blackhawk or Vaquero is that you will probably not get a full grasp of the grip. I would pass, if you are immediately going to go with a poorly fitting Pachmayr rubber grip. Those guns have enough mass to handle the recoil, so it's really a matter of gaining some skill with that type of grip and learning to let the gun roll rather than fight it.

I guess I have spent my two cents

Last edited by Real Gun; December 31, 2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old December 29, 2018, 11:57 AM   #34
Cosmodragoon

usr1987, to address some of your concerns:

I've also heard about Smith and Wessons with canted barrels but I haven't seen it firsthand. There is a lot of talk floating around about quality not being what it used to be with revolvers in general. Some of that has to do with cost-savings measures such as MIM parts. We forget that aside from expanding technology, companies are trying to stay competitive and meet high demand in a market where inflation is real and both American labor and materials are expensive. In my limited experience, it does look like older models sometimes seem to have been made with a little more care. You can look for used older models or you can carefully inspect new ones and if anything is wrong, contact the company.

With modern versions of the medium-large revolvers, such as the 686 or GP100, you'll get a better trigger out of the box with S&W but you'll also get that dreaded lock hole. With the smaller revolvers, I think the LCR has a better trigger and is nicer overall than the alloy Smiths.

As far as lever guns go, I've had and shot a bunch of Henry Rifles over the years. My experiences have been very good. I also got hung up on wanting a loading gate once upon a time but I got over it. The "tactical reload" with a loading gate sounds good but yes, those can be fiddly and will you really need it? (Will you need it faster than you can draw its pistol partner?) Henry also has unusually good customer service, as in I've actually gotten email replies from their CEO. Once, something they shipped me was one day late. When I called to make sure everything had gone out the door, they actually followed up by sending me a care package of extras!

Yes, ammo costs money and 9mm remains fairly cost effective. If California does something crazy like ban all semi-autos, will that affect 9mm prices or availability? I don't know what other unique challenges you have over there but common answers for other still-common calibers like .38 special and .357 magnum include buying in bulk, group buys, and learning to load your own ammo.

I know what you mean about moon clips. I like to be able to use them but I'd hate to have to use them.
Old December 29, 2018, 02:08 PM   #35
Powermwt

They passed legislation on internet sales of ammunition in CA.

You will have to ship it to an ammunition vendor and they will charge you for doing so.

Forgot to say you will have a background check to buy any ammo in CA.
Old December 29, 2018, 02:45 PM   #36
usr1987

Also in July they will have background checks on ammo... I can't wait to get out of here!
Old December 30, 2018, 11:45 AM   #37
MSD Mike

Awesome combination. Get whatever revolver you like and if $$ isn't to big an issue it's hard to beat the new Winchesters unless you want to use a scope. If you want a scope then I would lean towards a Marlin. A Ruger bolt gun is cool too but a lever is MUCH more fun for messing around.

Mike
Old December 30, 2018, 12:06 PM   #38
1911Tuner

Quote:
Curious as to why you feel a gate is mandatory...
Because it allows the shooter to quickly and safely top off the magazine without taking the rifle out of battery.
Old December 30, 2018, 01:39 PM   #39
DPris
Member Emeritus

May have been an issue during skirmishes with marauding Indians on the homestead in the 1880s, but not with a levergun today.
It's not that important.

If you need a quick followup shot after you run dry, just drop a round in the open port & close the action.

If you blow off an entire magazine's contents on a deer & still need more shots, you might as well just pack up & go home.
Denis
Old December 30, 2018, 05:32 PM   #40
SRH78

I am still trying to grasp the GP100 being called light.

Everybody should have a good 357 magnum revolver. My GP100 is my favorite handgun. As for a 357 magnum in a lever action rifle, you get better velocity, accuracy, and range than the handgun. It is very effective for self defense, suitable for a wide variety of game, and has light recoil. It is also great for teaching kids and new shooters, especially with 38's.
Old December 30, 2018, 06:03 PM   #41
1911Tuner

Quote:
May have been an issue during skirmishes with marauding Indians on the homestead in the 1880s, but not with a levergun today.
It's not that important.
Still nice to have the option.

What's the saying...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old December 31, 2018, 02:32 PM   #42
WyMark

Quote:
Only disadvantage to the Henry is they don't feed .38 special very well.
I have the Big Boy Steel 16" carbine and primarily shoot .38 special, and have never once had any kind of feeding issue.
Old January 1, 2019, 10:07 AM   #43
44caliberkid

I'd go 44 magnum, just for the extra oomph. Model 29 Smith (or Redhawk) and a Browning (Miroku) or Rossi Model 92 replica.
Old January 1, 2019, 12:42 PM   #44
GoPappy

I've got a JM Marlin 1894S in .44 mag. I've been looking for a companion for it, and now have a well-used Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag on the way.
Old January 1, 2019, 02:07 PM   #45
Targa

Quote:
I'd go 44 magnum, just for the extra oomph. Model 29 Smith (or Redhawk) and a Browning (Miroku) or Rossi Model 92 replica.
It cost twice as much to shoot as a .357 combo.
Old January 1, 2019, 07:52 PM   #46
Real Gun

Maybe stick to the OP's 357 for this discussion.
Old January 2, 2019, 01:28 PM   #47
Terminatorret

+1 Real Gun.
I also concur with the Ruger 77/357 + .357 handgun pairing. That's my combination and it is so convenient...and lethal.
Old January 3, 2019, 03:00 AM   #48
bamaranger

yup

I've posted many times that such a combo is a very useful arrangement and I am a big fan of .357 lever carbines. I can't really add to what has already been stated by others other than....

If considering the revolver for SD, concealed carry, despite the apparent nostalgia of a single action and a lever carbine, I'd stay with a DA handgun, but I'd avoid the monstrous Redhawk. The DA revolver replaced the SA for LE and SD for very valid reasons that still apply today.

After about a decade of having my Marlin zeroed for one load, and my Blackhawk another, I recently rezeroed my SA revolver for the same heavy JHP load I am using in the carbine. Both of these guns are seeing occasional trips to the woods for deer presently, but never at the same time. But only having to keep one load on hand makes things much simpler.
Old January 3, 2019, 08:45 AM   #49
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
Also in July they will have background checks on ammo... I can't wait to get out of here!
So...can you still buy ammo online? How does that work, with a background check?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 3, 2019, 09:45 AM   #50
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
So...can you still buy ammo online? How does that work, with a background check?
Yes, you can still buy online by having the order shipped to an FFL that will accept it and sell to you. If you go to target sports, they have a list of dealers that will accept by typing in your zip. Also, on Calguns, there is a thread of companies that will ship to FFL for you if they will accept. This list includes many of the boutique companies like BB, Underwood and Doubletap.