The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 4, 2006, 08:43 PM   #1
74camaroman

Winchester gun safe, Sam's club $581.00

I have been looking at gun safes for a while now. I wanted one what would hold at least 10 long guns and 10 hand guns with room to spare for some antique items worth!!!!!. This is a 12-24 long guns, Fire rated at 1200 deg. for 32 minutes. It is 60"high by 30" wide by 22" deep. Hinges on the outside but even if theif's cut the hinges the door still stays on. Electronic lock. 4 each 1 inch bolts for locking the door. It is the best deal I have come across. The Safe is made by Granite safes. Their Webb site is www.granitesafe.com. it tells you that they go for 9 hundred and something but Sam's Club is selling them for $581.00. Some Sam's Clubs don't have them but I am sure that if you go to the customer service counter they could possibility order one from another store. I like mine and everyone else that has bought one has nothing but good to say for the price. It weighs in at 505 lbs. heavy sucker. Just wanted to let people know that it is a great deal if they have limited finances like I do.
Old May 21, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

This thread belongs in "Gear & Accessories", and should be moved there.

I have one of these safes, and it seemed like a good deal to me, but I haven't done enough research to determine for sure that it is. Academy has a safe that is very similar, marked "Cannon", that has essentially the same size and claimed fire specs (and price):

http://www.academysports.com/index.p...2-0022&start=0

Anyone know of another safe of the same size, fire rating and price point as these two? And which of these two is actually better, security and fire-resistance-wise?

Because I just may get a second one of these....

Last edited by FirstFreedom; May 21, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Absolutely correct.

FirstFreedom:
Quote:
This thread belongs in "Gear & Accessories", and should be moved there.
I missed seeing this thread or would have moved it sooner.

In a way, though, it makes sense - - I don't personally know anyone who owns any NFA items who doesn't have some sort of gun safe or similar cabinetry, so this is of particular interest to those who frequent NFA Guns & Gear forum.

Moved with redirect posted.

Johnny
Old May 22, 2006, 01:14 AM   #4
mrgrinch

Does anyone who already owns this safe know if the door will lift up off the hinges to make it easier to move. I want this safe, but will be moving two or three times over the next five years. 350 lbs for the safe and 150lbs for the door would be doable with an appliance dolly and one man.
Old May 22, 2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Teach

A friend and I both have one of these safes. The owners manual states that the door will lift off the hinges, but they caution against doing that, some kind of way that the bearings are put in and all it may not swing smoothly after you reinstall it. We had no difficulties moving them around with a stout hand truck, or just slide/walk it across the floor if it is hard surface. I really like the electronic lock and have had no problems with the safe.
Old September 15, 2006, 01:35 PM   #6
arizona hunter

I almost bought the Winchester safe but-it is sooo heavy, that I would have needed three friends to help unload it, also getting a delivery co. to bring it home was like $300.00, also we plan to move in the next 4 years and wanted a safe that 2 people could move if it was empty.

So, I got one from Sportsmans Warehouse and it holds all I'll ever need it to, and when it's bolted down it is not going anyplace in a hurry.
Old September 15, 2006, 05:34 PM   #7
rangermonroe

I have one of these

I am very happy with it.

My Brother and I were able to move it into my house with only a hand truck. The model I have weighs 650#.
Old September 29, 2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Dean C

There was a thread here about a month or so ago that had some really good explainations about safes and ratings. I like what I see for the price here but if I'm going to part with that much, I'm doing a lot of research. I did a search but was overwhelmed. Can anyone remember off the top of their head where the link is? Most of the imput was by two members here that are in the business and neither seemed to be strong arm salesmen but willing to give honest credible information.
thanks,
dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)
Old September 29, 2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Don P

safes

here is the link
http://www.zykansafe.com/
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 29, 2006, 11:44 PM   #10
a1abdj

One of those guys is me...and that is my site linked above.

I have been working on a new website, and so a lot of the good information on my old site has not been moved to the new site yet.

You can also do a search on the forum for posts I've made, and you're certain to come across some of the previous in depth discussions. You are always welcome to e-mail or call me if you have any questions.
Old September 30, 2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Ausserordeutlich

Some of you guys either need to eat some Wheaties or you've never moved a safe! My Browning safe weighs 750# empty, and I can move it with a dolly.
Old September 30, 2006, 11:14 AM   #12
will41605

Maby, but some of us prefer to be able to move at 50. Anyway I have a sentry gun safe with 10-14 gun capacity and a shelf on the top, 6 1'' locking bolts, and electronic keypad lock originaly 395.00 but i bought it for 225.00 on clearance after gun season walmart. If there are multiple walmarts call around. Mine is lag bolted through the floor and into the rafters and weighed about 230lbs.
Old September 30, 2006, 12:31 PM   #13
Dean C

a1abdj,
I found the thread I was looking for on THR. Couldn't remember where it was. That is some thread. My head is still spinning trying to determine exactly which way I need to, or want to, or should go. Lotsa info there.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=134297
(Thanks 22-Mag for the PM)

Thanks again,
dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)
Old December 5, 2006, 07:58 PM   #14
mustgo69

$581 Sam's safe

I am planning on getting this SOON. I want any feedback, I am in Houston.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:17 PM   #15
littlmak

Check out Walmart.com You can get the safe delivered. I've got one going to my son in another city for Christmas.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:43 PM   #16
JD0608

I own two of the wal-mart winchester safes. excellent safe for the money and the key-pad lock makes it quick to get into. and at 575-600 lbs or so crooks probably won`t carry it off.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:51 PM   #17
shooter_john

I also have one of these safes, worth every penny, and me and wife got off of my truck and into the house. (On a sidenote, it is NOT a good idea to purchase one of these on your first anniversary )
Old December 6, 2006, 12:14 AM   #18
skeeter1

I've only got a Stack-On safe (biggest one that I could get upstairs in my house), and it's not fireproof. If the house catches on fire, I've got bigger things to worry about.

Still, any safe is better than no safe.
Old December 6, 2006, 05:25 PM   #19
mustgo69

Thanks guys, very helpful.
Old December 7, 2006, 10:14 AM   #20
turnandshoot4

I have one and me and a buddy moved it in. He cussed me the whole time but we got it in. It slides across carpet, we found that out and it helped. GREAT safe for the money. Also the digital key pad is nice cause if you ever need to get into it in a hurry there is no fumbling with a dial. I love mine.
Old December 7, 2006, 10:17 AM   #21
turnandshoot4

It has pre-drilled holes so you can bolt it to the floor so the bad guys can't even pick it up
Old December 7, 2006, 05:00 PM   #22
mustgo69

I checked Walmart, the only one like it is more.. The distance isn't really worth the $100+, they are both kinda close.
Old December 11, 2006, 06:50 AM   #23
anygunwilldo

I have one for these safe too, it is a good safe for the $

Just change the battery once a year...
Old December 12, 2006, 01:14 PM   #24
czf

Does wal-mart charge extra for delivery??
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/
Old December 13, 2006, 11:25 AM   #25
KMBRTAC45

I purchased one from Sam's about a year and a half ago. When I bought it I asked the customer service clerk if they delivered and was told they don't, but they had a name of someone who would deliver it for me but was NOT associated with Sam's. I got my safe delivered to my house(approx. 2 miles away) for $50.00. Anyone in Phoenix's NW valley who needs a safe moved PM me and I will give you his name and number.

Freedoms precious metals:Gold, Silver & Lead

Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Last edited by KMBRTAC45; December 15, 2006 at 12:00 PM.