The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2019, 09:57 PM   #1
M88

Beretta M9 or M9A1?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Beretta M9... Bud's has the M9 "commercial" (J92M9A0M) for $548... but the M9A1 (JS92M9A1M) for $698. Other than the Picatinny rail under the barrel, what am I getting for my $150 more? Can't find much difference in the things I've seen online. Any help? Also... anybody find it much cheaper than Bud's? My LGS sells the M9A1 for $950!... huge difference.
Old January 10, 2019, 10:26 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Comparison chart:
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/comparison-chart/

https://gunprime.com/product/beretta...5rd-br92m9a1m/

$569.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 10, 2019, 11:53 PM   #3
M88

TunnelRat that is exactly what I needed. Going to get the M91A. Going to look around more tonight, but so far have not found anybody that beats that Gunprime.com price. With shipping etc, $588 to the FFL, $30 more there and it's in my gun safe. I appreciate it, thanks you very much.
Old January 10, 2019, 11:57 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Np. I like the look of them with a rail. I have a 92A1.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 11, 2019, 09:56 AM   #5
Siggy-06

I also like the 92A1 over the standard 92FS because I can change the front sight if desired.
Old January 11, 2019, 12:37 PM   #6
pblanc

Yes, if you want a Beretta 92/M9 with a rail, I would take a close look at the 92A1 rather than the M9A1. Gunprime also lists the 92A1 at $599 currently:

http://gunprime.com/product/beretta-...-17rd-j9a9f10/

The most significant difference between the M9A1 and the 92A1 is the dovetailed front sight on the 92A1 as Siggy-06 mentioned. A real drawback to the 92FS/M9 design is the front sight which is milled into the front "strap" of the slide and cannot be removed and swapped for anything else. That front strap is also too thin to allow the front sight post to be cut off and the slide milled for a dovetail without weakening it critically. The 92A1 slide is thicker there and has a dovetail cut so you can install night sights or a different front sight if you wish. With the 92FS/M9 what you see is what you are stuck with, so far as the front sight is concerned, although you can send it to Bill Wilson's shop to have the front sight post drilled and a fiberoptic insert installed.

There are a couple of other differences, however. The 92A1 has a rounded trigger guard instead of the squared off trigger guard of the 92FS/M9. This difference is largely cosmetic unless you are one of the minority who actually position the index finger of the support hand in front of the trigger guard. Personally, I like the cleaner, smoother look of the rounded trigger guard.

There is also a small relief cut at the top of the back strap on the Beretta 92 series frames that the M9 frames lacks. This does not look like much, but it can actually slightly improve the ability of the shooter to comfortably reach the trigger in double action if the person has less than large hands.
Old January 11, 2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Brownstone322

Beretta M9 or M9A1?

I have an M9 because it’s the only Beretta 92 with the classic 92 styling (that is, with the original straight dust cover). The M9A1 has subtle refinements beyond the rail (I’ll assume you read all that by now), but the M9 had all the core qualities that I wanted, and it’s a great shooter.

I have two main reservations about the M9:

1. The Grip: It lacks the subtle cutout under the beavertail that shortens the trigger reach. Almost all other 92s have this.

2. The Sights: I don’t care for dot-and-post sights, but I had an artist friend convert them to three-dot. It’s true that the front sight can’t be replaced (I prefer fiber-optic), but she repainted mine with fluorescent paint, and I am satisfied with that.

The rail wasn’t important to me, and the beveled mag well, additional grip checkering and specially coated magazines were mere nice-to-haves. I wanted a classic as my baseline Beretta 92.

That said, I wouldn’t mind adding an M9A1 and M9A3 to the arsenal.
Old January 11, 2019, 07:25 PM   #8
TxFlyFish

Slightly tangent but I would get 92fs before an M9. Bugs me that the M9 is just for looks and it’s not even correct looks
Old January 11, 2019, 11:14 PM   #9
M88

Thanks people... I love this forum for all the talent and info had so quickly. I did decide to order the M91A. After shipping, tax and FFL transfer, will be $613 from mouse click to my gun cabinet. Should arrive by Wednesday. Can't wait to take it to my local range and put some 9mm through it. I appreciate all the posts with info re:front sight etc. This is just a beautiful gun, I love the lines... my Glock 17 and M&P aren't even in the same league looks wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M91A.jpg (16.0 KB, 1183 views)
Old January 12, 2019, 05:02 AM   #10
Targa

Nice choice, I love the 92 platform. I took my dad out to shoot my M9, he ordered a 92fs (he liked the sights better) the next day.
Old January 13, 2019, 12:10 AM   #11
hounddog409

I to just picked up a M9A1. I liked the added stippling on the grip. And of course the rail.

Fyi - beretta web site had the m9a1 mags on sale.

Under 25 bucks a piece for the coated mags, same as what comes with the m9a1. Not sure if it's still goin on.

I had a 92 back in the late 80's/ early 90's. Only gun I regretted getting rid of. Figured it was time to replace it.
Old January 15, 2019, 07:54 AM   #12
Road_Clam

I have the 92FS. It's just a daytime range target handgun so I was not concerned about the front sight. Flawless functioning, great shooter. Only small gripes are the very complex design for a FULL dissasembly, and the decocker built into the rear slide makes bare finger racking the slide a bit ergonomically unfriendly.
Old January 15, 2019, 10:54 AM   #13
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
I have the 92FS. It's just a daytime range target handgun so I was not concerned about the front sight. Flawless functioning, great shooter. Only small gripes are the very complex design for a FULL dissasembly, and the decocker built into the rear slide makes bare finger racking the slide a bit ergonomically unfriendly.
You might look into the Lo-Profile, single-sided, Beretta 92FS safety/decocker lever:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...oductinfo/636/

This trims down the left-sided lever so that it is very unobtrusive, and eliminates the lever on the right side entirely. There is still a "hub" on the right side of the slide, but it is much less "in the way" than the right side of the stock lever.

This lever is not difficult to install. It is better for shooters who use the left side of the stock lever, typically right handed shooters. It does make the safety a little harder and slower to disengage while using the thumb of the right hand, so it may not be the best choice for someone wanting to carry the 92FS for self-defense with the safety on. Most who carry the Beretta 92FS for SD choose to do so with a round chambered, hammer down, safety off, and in that mode it is not an issue. WC also sells a single-sided (left side) lever with a higher profile.

The Lo-Profile WC lever makes cycling the slide a much more pleasant affair and it is virtually impossible to accidentally engage the safety when doing so.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:51 AM   #14
Skans

If I were considering these two guns, I'd pay up to $100 more to get the one without the rail.
Old January 15, 2019, 06:18 PM   #15
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc
You might look into the Lo-Profile, single-sided, Beretta 92FS safety/decocker lever:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...oductinfo/636/
Did not know this mod was available, looks like just the ticket for a less obtrusive grip at the rear of the slide. Thanks !