The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2010, 03:00 PM   #1
jimbob86

SO..... I have this small ring 7x57 mauser...

..... front sight wanders, rear (tangent?) sight cut off ..... stock is not original.... and cracked.

What to do with it? 12 y.o Daughter needs a deer rifle, and 7x57 170 grain makes for pretty stiff recoil for a little girl......

Suggestions?
Old April 23, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2
fisherman66

Mine recoils on par with a 30/30 with 173 grain pills and even softer with lighter bullets. She weights about 7 3/4-8lbs. I'd suggest getting a new stock or repairing the current stock and adding a good recoil pad. If that's uncomfortable the Past Recoil Shield should cut the recoil down to tolerable levels. If it's still uncomfortable you can always look at adding a few ounces of lead shot to the forearm under the barrel.

Of course you could always sell the barreled action and replace that rifle with a 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55 or other mild shooter.
Old April 23, 2010, 04:31 PM   #3
jimbob86

I have give some thought to re-barreling it to 6.5 x 55 .... case head and rim dimensions are slightly different (about .005-6 difference) , according to my reloading books..... would this cause feeding issues?
Old April 23, 2010, 04:39 PM   #4
jimbob86

Also, a gunsmith I know suggested a muzzle brake, for a 40% reduction in percieved recoil (and a 90% increase in percieved noise!)....
Old April 23, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
fisherman66

I'm not sure about feeding issues, but I imagine that would depend more on the particular rifle. I would stay away from muzzle brakes. I really don't care for that level of muzzle blast nor would I introduce a new shooter to that either.

Again, my Ruger #1 in 7x57 is a very soft shooter, albeit a little heavy. Most factory loads are in the 2400 fps class. A handloader should be able to get close to 2800 or more in a long tube, but the 30/30 power level shoots just dandy and kill whitetail cleanly. Spitzer bullets offer quite a bit in trajectory and I put my MPBR well over 200 yards.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:58 PM   #6
plainsman456

Load the 139-140gr bullets slower and let her try it.
Old April 23, 2010, 07:05 PM   #7
fisherman66

Quote:
A handloader should be able to get close to 2800 or more in a long tube
I should add "in a strong, modern action" to the above phrase.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
A handloader should be able to get close to 2800 or more in a long tube
A small ring mauser won't take that kind of pressure for long.
Let her try it. She may surprise you. If she's already shooting let her watch you shoot it and explain to her exactly what's going to happen. Then let her try IF SHE WANTS TO. My daughter was routinely pulling both triggers at the same time shooting clays with a 12 gauge SXS with no recoil pad when she was 12.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:09 PM   #9
fisherman66

Hawg, I realized I made a boo boo when I posted that and added the comment right above yours. Yeah, most factory 7x57 loads are underloaded to compensate for the older milsurp rifles out there. Since our OP's goal is to reduce recoil I don't think he's aiming for high velocity. I can attest that 173 grains at about 2400 fps kill bambi just fine. I'd like to get a big feral pig with that load next. It's a very soft shooting load (Sellier and Bellot SPCE 173g).
Old April 23, 2010, 11:51 PM   #10
jimbob86

Thanks, guys!
Old March 4, 2011, 05:24 PM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
I have give some thought to re-barreling it to 6.5 x 55 .... case head and rim dimensions are slightly different (about .005-6 difference) , according to my reloading books..... would this cause feeding issues?
The question still stands.
Old March 4, 2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Doyle

Handload down with some 140grn bullets. They are plenty big enough for deer and the lighter bullets will result in less recoil.
Old March 4, 2011, 10:56 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Why spend hundreds of dollars to rebarrel a not-very valuable rifle to a new cartridge that is not significantly better than the original, especially when you are looking for light recoil?

And yes, you might run into feeding issues; the 6.5x55 is just enough different from the 7x57 (especially at the shoulder) that some work will probably be necessary on the feed rails.

Jim
Old March 5, 2011, 01:26 AM   #14
HiBC

Does it cock on opening,or closing?That is a general way to sort out if it might be a 98 small ring.The Mexican mauser in 7x57 is what I hope you have.
Those are a prize,and reasonably strong,with the features of the 98.
I'd recomend a general safety check to include headspace,firing pin tip,firing pin hole,trigger and safety.The headspace and firing pin are about hot gas,eyes,etc.
Likely she will shoot at modest ranges.Study up some on Ken Waters 7-30 Waters.It will kill a deer just fine.I do not suggest a conversion.I suggest the performance level,velocity and bullet weights,are adequate.They can be easily and safely loaded in a 7x57.
A 139,140 gr bullet at 2400 or so is more than enough for a 150 yd deer gun.
The 7x57 stands just fine as it is.If it is a Mex action,and you feel compelled to rebarrel,the .257 roberts and the 6mm Rem are just necked down 7x57's.They will feed fine.
But,the 7x57 is fine
Old March 5, 2011, 10:58 PM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
Does it cock on opening,or closing?
Cocks on closing.

Already pierced a primer, and cocking piece rebounded and bit my thumb.....

I has to go to the gun doctor anyhow.... headspace is a bit long .... set the barrel back a turn and ream.....

.... and as the bore is rough, I may as well rebarrel it while I'm at it- the only difference would be the cost of the barrel, right?
Old March 5, 2011, 11:20 PM   #16
a7mmnut

Easy--just rebarel to the awesome .257 Roberts, and everything else stays the same. It'll still be an awesome round when she's 22, 32, 42....

-7-
Old March 6, 2011, 03:01 AM   #17
HiBC

Now,before you jump into this project,I suggest you do some figuring.
You can probably get a Midway Adams and Bennet barrel threaded and short or long chambered for under $100 and your gunsmith may not charge a whole lot to fit it.I'll let your smith price it,but suppose I guess $60.
What sights will you use? If you are going to scope it,it will take a bolt handle alteration.Its not real cheap.And you will have to make a decision about the safety,to work with the scope.That may lead you to look at a cock on opening conversion and a trigger.Now,scope bases,drill and tap
You could reshape the mil stock,glue on blocks to change the comb,etc to make it fit a young girl.A big part of how it recoils for her is if it fits,Oh,and about $30 for a recoil pad and then some to fit it.
Were you going to have the new barrel blued?You can paint it all pink,she may like that.
This will all take some time,of course.
Maybe you could compare that to time spent taking your daughter to gunshops and gunshows in search of just the right rifle.Just for her.
It might be an H+R Topper in 30-30,or a Rem 788 in 243,or some little 250 Savage....But,Its your thing,do it how you think is best.

Its cool you are thinking of passing it on to her.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:48 PM   #18
bubba15301

find her another rifle .might be a 93 mauser by the time you do all that work you could get her another rifle.
Old March 7, 2011, 11:52 AM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
If you are going to scope it,it will take a bolt handle alteration.Its not real cheap.And you will have to make a decision about the safety,to work with the scope.That may lead you to look at a cock
Bolt handle is already bent.

Quote:
Maybe you could compare that to time spent taking your daughter to gunshops and gunshows in search of just the right rifle.Just for her.
It might be an H+R Topper in 30-30,or a Rem 788 in 243,or some little 250 Savage....But,Its your thing,do it how you think is best.

Its cool you are thinking of passing it on to her.
After the gun bit my thumb, all of my kids have concluded that this gun is not safe ...... "Is that the gun that bites?" Nobody wants it.

I am pretty sure that I will look into a .243 for Jac ........

As for the '93 .... it'll probably stay 7mm to avoid feeding issues. I'd still like to figure out how to mount an IER scope really low on the barrel.....
Old March 8, 2011, 05:25 AM   #20
HiBC

Look at how the rear tan sight is put on a 98 stepped mil bbl.Its a sweat solder joint with a screw.You might be able to clean one up,mil the top flat,and tig some steel picatinny or Weaver stock to it.That part of the barrel is pretty close to .750 diameter.Some steel picattinny AR gas block,or a pair of them,might work out.With one you could mount a small red dot sight.
I think I just ran a 3/4 in ball mill under some steel Warne 1/2 in wide base stock(Warne,Talley,Kimber rings,I think) and then attached it to the bbl with a couple 1/8 in dowel pins,shallow in the bbl,for shear and to position,then sweated with Brownell's Hi-Force 44 low temp silver solder.It was years ago,I forget.Never fell off.