The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 19, 2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Gary Slider

MO. . . DC to Issue. . . Carry Apps . . . Thank You!

Missouri Legislature override of the Governor’s Veto will make open carry legal throughout the state of MO for anyone with a valid permit/license. This new law does not take effect until Oct 12, 2014. Local governments could have ordinances banning open carry and this new law makes all those local ordinances null and void for those with a valid permit/license. MO also lowered the age to apply for a permit/license to carry to 19. The only problem with this is it may cause a few states to stop honoring the MO permit/license. NV dropped WV because they issue to those 18-20 for employment purposes. Some states will just state that a MO permit/license holder has to be 21 to carry in their state. We will just have to wait and see what effect this has on who honors MO. The changes in MO Law will be added to the MO page at www.handgunlaw.us on the effective date.

DC is going to start issuing permit/licenses to carry in the coming months due to a court ruling. It will be May Issue and have a lot of restrictions on where you can’t carry. I am hearing some of those places off limits will be mobile. Meaning it will be legal to carry on a public street/sidewalk at one instant and the next instant it will be a roving off limits area. I am hearing they will also issue to non residents but are structuring their carry laws using Maryland and New York laws as guides. Obtaining a non resident permit/license will be very difficult (read that as Impossible) for us common folks. The process of writing this law is worth watching as it will show a very clear picture of what the elitist really think of the peons, I mean Citizens!

I get emails and requests via posts on different boards asking when www.handgunlaw.us is going to have an app. They are expensive to develop and then they must be updated. There is one app that links to Handgunlaw.us and works very well on my Nexus7. Handgunlaw.us is not partnered with/collaborating with or making any money from this app. Seven Bit Software LLC is the maker of the “Gun Safe” App. I will state that I am bias towards the info that Handgunlaw.us supplies and believe it is the most comprehensive and up to date information you can find in one place on the web. I also have every app I can find that supplies info on the carry laws in all the states and in my opinion Gun Safe is the best app out there because it links to Handgunlaw.us

Again I want to thank those who gave me a heads up on changes in their state. I can’t do this by myself and your assistance is what makes www.handgunlaw.us what it is. Thank You!
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old September 19, 2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

As always, Gary, thank you for all of your hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider
. . . . DC is going to start issuing permit/licenses to carry in the coming months due to a court ruling. It will be May Issue and have a lot of restrictions on where you can’t carry. I am hearing some of those places off limits will be mobile. Meaning it will be legal to carry on a public street/sidewalk at one instant and the next instant it will be a roving off limits area. . . . .
I smell a lawsuit coming!
Old September 19, 2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Cheapshooter

NV, and WV already dropped reciprocity with MO when we changed the licensing to be done by the Sherif of Police Dept instead of the DMV after Gov. Nixon was using the DMV to compile a list of CCW license holders for his pals in DC. Seems NV, and WV want an electronic central data base for CCW permit holders. Something forbidden by law in Missouri after Nixon's little fiasco.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 19, 2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Davey

I remember the judge ordered DC to allow non residents with home state carry permits to carry in the city.

With that how could may issue be seen as constitutional? Can the order be considered part of the ruling?
Old September 19, 2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Gary Slider

Cheapshooter, I think you pulled a Gary Slider. You meant VA and not WV. Been there done that more than once myself.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old September 19, 2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I smell a lawsuit coming!
Yes, but even if successful, we'll get the repeal of one particular restriction. Then we'll have to wait while they tailor a law that just barely complies with the ruling. Then we'll have to sue over that, and so on.

I'm seeing a pattern of attrition developing on that front.
Old September 19, 2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I'm seeing a pattern of attrition developing on that front.
Intentional Anti strategy, I'm afraid.

One of the weaknesses of a Democratic Republic. It relies on The People to spot and remove from office those who seek to use the system against itself. Ignorance and apathy are it's worst enemy, which The People currently have in spades.
Old September 19, 2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Yup, VA. Still got WV, and Hatfield-McCoy trails on my mind.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 19, 2014, 11:04 PM   #9
KyJim

The key to winning the war of attrition is the award of attorney fees.
Old September 20, 2014, 09:08 AM   #10
press1280

I remember the judge ordered DC to allow non residents with home state carry permits to carry in the city.

With that how could may issue be seen as constitutional? Can the order be considered part of the ruling?

The judge didn't order that, merely that non-residents had to have a means to carry. DC's proposed legislation makes it (in theory) possible for a non-resident (with a CCW from his state) to apply for a DC CCW under a similair scheme of DC residents.
However DC was may-issue before Heller in 2008, and wouldn't issue permits for years (and admitted so during Palmer). I hope the judge doesn't allow the case out of his court until the plaintiffs have a shot to get a permit. So if DC denies them on "lack of need" or whatever, the case stays with him and he slaps them down. If DC grants them the permits, then they'll have trouble denying others because they set a precedent with these applicants.
Unfortunately I doubt it'll work like this. Likely a new lawsuit is needed with plaintiffs getting denied a CCW.
Old October 8, 2014, 09:18 PM   #11
TDL

Quote:
The judge didn't order that, merely that non-residents had to have a means to carry. DC's proposed legislation makes it (in theory) possible for a non-resident (with a CCW from his state) to apply for a DC CCW under a similair scheme of DC residents.
Exactly. There has been no case law effectively attacking zero reciprocity in jurisdictions that have no reciprocity. DC will have zero reciprocity.

Non residents can already apply for normal no carry handgun registration if they have a place of business in DC. The out of state for carry will be a non resident application that should be as easy as taking a camel though a needle.

As a DC resident I would rather have "no issue" than the Orwellian "some animals are more equal than others" result which is going to allow Bloomberg's body guards, and a handful of elites and campaign contributors get permits, as is the case in NYC.

I like irony, except when it comes to my rights. And what we got out of all this effort is DC pull of a smirking ironic insult to explicit rights.