The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
rebs

which powder is least temperature effected

Between CFE223, AR Comp, H335, H322, Varget & imr3031 which would be the least effected by temperature changes ?
Old November 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
4runnerman

I go varget. Use it summer and winter and have not noticed any difference in shooting.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Valornor

+1 Varget

On a side note I've used xbr8208 and that's suppose the very temperature stable. If you'd just looking a good temprature stable powder with a similar burn rate.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 6, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
pathdoc

Varget's made in Australia for Hodgdon (we know it as AR2208), and it needs to be stable given the range of temperatures we Aussies shoot in, from tropical to near-freezing. Check the bottles in-store - there's quite a few IMR and Hodgdon powders that say "Made in Australia", and I'm willing to bet that those are the temperature-stable ones.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
jimbob86

Dunno- don't have that much experience with those listed..... but I'll betcha ten dollars to a bucket of 'possum bait that it will be a fairly fast burning, short stick type powder.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Guilty

From my experience, between Varget and H322 since they are both Hodgdon Extreme powders (not temperature sensitive), H322 seems to be less temperature sensitive for me.

I use H322 for 5.56 (55gr, 64gr and 77gr) and 6.8 (Nosler, SMK and Hornady 110gr) bullets. I just started using the Varget with 77gr 5.56 powder loads and have popped a few primers with near max load and I have not showed any high pressure signs with the H322.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Clark

A) AR COMP will have the flattest temp curve.

B) Varget and H322 are Hodgdon extreme powders. Not as flat in velocity measure across a broad range of temperatures as AR COMP, but better than you will need.

C) IMR3031 is at least a stick powder. It used to be considered good until the extreme powders came out.

D) H335 is a ball powder, that is temperature challenged. It is hard to find, as it can make velocity like nothing else in 223 or 308.

D-) CFE is ball powder treated to reduce Copper fouling.
It is not only temp unstable, but very hard to set off.
CCI 450 small magnum primers will not set off more than 40 gr in a 260 case formed from Lapua 308 Palma brass.

But for breaking in barrels, CFE is the best, if it will go off.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 6, 2013, 09:16 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I go varget. Use it summer and winter and have not noticed any difference in shooting.
I'm not trying to be pedantic, but...
Not noticing a difference during normal use, is not the same as not noticing a difference, while actually testing the variable.

I actually test for temperature sensitivity, while developing hunting loads that may see extreme temperature differences (90+ F for, say, Antelope; and below zero F for Elk/Moose). It can take me 2 years to finish testing for a particular load (since I have to wait on mother nature), but the wait is worth it. I get laser-beam predictability, and don't have to worry about cold-weather POI shifts or groups going from sub-MoA to 6+ MoA.

The most surprising result of my testing?
Every powder I tested that is marketed as "temperature insensitive" was actually more sensitive to temperature than old classics, and especially the Reloader line of "log" (extruded) powders.

Based on my experience, I would expect the underdog, IMR3031, to come out on top. It would fly in the face of every marketing campaign and nearly every gun writer's opinion, but that shouldn't be too much of a surprise to some of us.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:32 PM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
H335 is a ball powder, that is temperature challenged. It is hard to find,
Ball powders can be hard to set off in cold temps (magnum primers can compenste for this) ..... I have not put them to a Chronograph in very hot weather ....

....as for being hard to find ..... H335 is generally available around here, at my LGS, Cabela's and Scheels ....
Old November 6, 2013, 10:03 PM   #10
4runnerman

Not to argue Franken,But 25.5 gns Varget in a 223 has served me for 5 years now in plus 90 to -35 and POI is still on the money winter or summer. Have never had to adjust my scope no matter what. I chrono my loads and winter or summer I still pull 3050 fps. Give or take 10 fps.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Clark

Quote:
jimbob86

....as for being hard to find ..... H335 is generally available around here, at my LGS, Cabela's and Scheels ....
The word 'forum" does not mean "not criticizing books."
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 7, 2013, 02:34 AM   #12
MEATSAW

I'd say imr 8208 xbr. Varget is good too.

I was surprised to see that the ramshot powders I have (TAC and Hunter) also had very little measured velocity change from 95+ degrees to 50 degrees which is an average temperature spread here.