The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #26
TxFlyFish

MIM is like barrel shroud, let's just agree it's the shoulder thing that goes up
Old February 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #27
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobK
Newer Sigs are produced in the New Hampshire plant. US made through and though. These come with Stainless steel slides and alloy frames. Stainless frames come on some model variants.
My 2012-production P220 has a stainless frame marked "FRAME MADE IN GERMANY - SAUER."
Old February 14, 2013, 11:38 AM   #28
Robk

Your P220 to have a stainless frame and slide would tend to be a P220-45-SSS or P220-45-SBSS, if not, your box will indentify it if it really is stainless. A lot frames are marked "made in Germany". All my alloy frames are marked as such. Frames may be German production, but new slides are stainless. True German made pistols have Proof marks on the bottom of the slide. Just turn your pistol over and at the very end you may see these proof marks, but only if it is a ture German made pistol. There are now so many varieties that it is truely hard to keep things straight.

At this time I am not sure if they produce their own frames yet, or if sourced from Germany. Seems to be Germany still. But all the pistols are assembled here in the states. There are only a few models that I am aware of that are still true German made.

Now be it know, this information is to the best of my knowlegde at this time. There are general rules for Sigs, old versus new, but new models seem to appear daily and I do not keep up with them all.

Last edited by Robk; February 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:12 PM   #29
car

SIG Sauer Germany has recently changed the way they proof their guns.

I have a new German made P226, the frame has an eagle N proof after the serial no., the slide has an eagle N proof after the serial no., the barrel has the eagle N and the Kiel proof house mark and date code on the right side of the chamber, it can't be seen until you remove the barrel from the slide.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:23 PM   #30
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobK
Your P220 to have a stainless frame and slide would tend to be a P220-45-SSS or P220-45-SBSS, if not, your box will indentify it if it really is stainless.
P220-45-SSS. The frame is stainless and made in Germany (import-marked "DE") and the slide is stainless and made in America. German frames shipped separately to America are not proofed.

Some alloy frames have been made in America since at least the mid-1990s. Polymer frames are a mixed bag; the P250 is made in America, the SP2022 is made in Germany, and the earlier SP2009 was made in Switzerland. I have never seen a stainless frame that was not made in Germany.