The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
lightfoot76

Arisaka Model 99

For a gift i received my grandfathers Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm.
The gun is in great condition but the safety knob on the rear of the bolt has fallen out.
I still have it but for the life of me cant get it back in. I cant slid the bolt out and from what i seen online you can take it out once chamber is open.
But if i cant get that far how would i go about that?
Any help would be great. Im a novice so try to talk to me like im 10 so i know what you are talkin about...
Thanks!
Old December 26, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Go to www.surplusrifle.com there you can lookup the Arisaka rifle. There is a complete disassembly guide for the rifle and a guide for the bolt as well. ust look around and you will find it.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
F. Guffey

I do not know, I do know making an effort to help is a mistake, but, there a few things that can not or should not be done on a Japanese rifle, Most have to do with the safety and rotating the bolt. I would suggest holding the trigger down while attempting to rotate the bolt, then I would suggest removing the action from the stock and then removing the trigger group. The safety can be installed incorrectly by jumping/ force fitting, the problem creates a rub-ix cube puzzle because the safety when installed correctly aligns the bolt assembly.

There is a notch on the bottom of the bolt that aligns with a the top of the trigger, when the bolt is in a particular position or configuration the handle can not be raised.

F. Guffey
Old December 28, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4
cornbush

The Arisaka bolt is like any other Mauser, no big deal to disassemble, but not being able to get the bolt out is your major issue, rusted?
Old December 29, 2010, 04:26 PM   #5
F. Guffey

AGAIN, "I do know making an effort to help is a mistake"

"The Arisaka bolt is like any other Mauser, no big deal to disassemble, but not being able to get the bolt out is your major issue, rusted?"

The bolt will not come out (can not be rotated) because the safety is not installed and if the safety is installed incorrectly the bolt will not rotate and can not be removed, I listed 5+ mistakes and or differences between the Mauser and Japanese bolt, some mistakes made by individuals listening to advise on the Internet from that resulted in the owner cutting off the safety in an attempt to remove the bolt, If it is no biggy or no big deal, tell the OP how to remove the bolt.

While I am waiting I will continue making a mistake by making an effort to help. It is worth the effort to attempt pulling the firing pin back (and holding it back) while attempting to open the bolt, not easy to do but I have had Mauser bolts that were incorrectly dissembled meaning the bolt shroud was removed without removing the firing pin from the bolt body, on the Mauser the firing pin must be in the cocked position and allowed to rotate with the firing pin assembly, so I would suggest you grasp the end of the firing pin with a pair of vise grips and pull the firing pin back then try to rotate the bolt.

Be kind to your firing pin, protect if from the jaws of the vise grips.

F. Guffey
Old December 31, 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Catfishman

I think you simply

1 make sure the gun is empty

2 pull the trigger and hold it down

3 hold the lever on the left upper rear receiver out

4 pull the bolt out - it should be easy
Old December 31, 2010, 10:51 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, the Arisaka bolt is NOT a Mauser bolt. It is a much simpler and much more ingenious system, with the fewest parts of any bolt, ever. It is made to be dis- and re-assembled without tools of any kind.

If the safety knob is completely out, you should be able to just point the rifle up and let the firing pin and spring slide out of the bolt body. (If you have to, pull them out with a hook of some kind.) Then the bolt should turn easily and come out after you pull out on the bolt stop on the left side of the receiver. (Do NOT hold the trigger back; the bolt can't turn if the trigger is held.)

To reassemble, drop the firing pin and spring into the bolt body, with the firing pin in the cocked position (cocking lug 180 degrees from the bolt handle). In the firing pin, at 90 degrees from the bolt handle, you will see a cutout. On the safety rod there is a lug. Insert the safety so its lug goes into that cutout, push the safety all the way in, turn it 90 degrees counter clockwise, and let it up. The bolt is assembled and ready to be inserted into the receiver.

Jim
Old December 31, 2010, 11:01 PM   #8
ohen cepel

Let us know where you are.

If you are near one of us we may be able to clear it up for you quickly.

I am currently in ny and am a huge Arisaka fan so would gladly help you if you are close.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 1, 2011, 12:36 AM   #9
F. Guffey

"he gun is in great condition but the safety knob on the rear of the bolt has fallen out"

"I still have it but for the life of me cant get it back in. I cant slid the bolt out and from what i seen on line you can take it out once chamber is open"
Someone took the bolt our then took the bolt apart THEN could not get it back together (the bolt) then installed the bolt (I take liberty with the work 'installed') but, some how the bolt got back into the rifle, and there it stays.

Again, the Mauser type rifle does not allow the firing pin to rotate, the bolt housing rotates, THEN! the firing pin cams back on the rear of the bolt housing, so someone has to convince ligjhtfoot76 the bolt must be pulled back, to the rear to allow the bolt body to rotate, THEN he can pull the bolt stop out to release the bolt.

Again, I know of misinform gun owners (getting help from the Internet) that have cut the real of a bolt off to get it out. and some claim it is the strongest rifle in the world.

Purchase a Mauser 98, raise the bolt handle and observe the cocking piece, when the bolt handle is raised, the cocking piece moves straight back, the firing pin is installed in the cocking piece, if the cocking piece does not rotate the firing pin does not rotate, when the bolt handle is raised both the cocking piece and the firing pin move straight back, when fired both the cocking piece and firing pin move straight forward, the bolt sleeve does not rotate, the bolt sleeve is the one part that keeps all the parts of the bolt together 'NEATLY', the safety knob on the 7.7 keeps all the parts of the bolt together 'neatly' if the safety is not installed correctly or not installed at all the firing pin tries to rotate with the bolt housing, and that is as slow as I can type.

F. Guffey
Old January 1, 2011, 01:25 AM   #10
F. Guffey

"Again, the Mauser type rifle does not allow the firing pin to rotate, the bolt housing rotates, THEN! the firing pin cams back on the rear of the bolt housing, so someone has to convince ligjhtfoot76 the firing pin must be pulled back, to the ....'

Sorry about that,

F. Guffey
Old January 1, 2011, 01:43 AM   #11
Hawg

It sounds like the trigger is hung in the fire position. Take it out of the stock. There is a pin that sticks up in a notch on the bottom of the bolt that wont let it open. It may be old grease holding it.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Gunplummer

You gave a vague description of what you are doing. Do as Jim Keenen said, and shake the firing pin and spring out. It sounds like you are also missing the extractor ? It is a long flat spring on the right side of the bolt. If the extractor is missing, the collar, a sheet metal ring near the front of the bolt must be aligned with the slot in the back of the receiver to let the bolt all the way out. Give a description where the bolt is at when it is stopping.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:24 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Please, if you are using some book on the Mauser, forget it. I repeat, that is NOT a Mauser bolt and attempting to follow instructions for a Mauser will only get you confused. The only similarities to the Mauser are the long extractor and the bolt stop in the receiver.

Hawg, that pin is the trigger interlock, common on cock-on-close actions (there is one on the M1917 Enfield). It prevents unlocked firing by keeping the trigger from being pulled if the bolt is not fully closed and locked.

Jim
Old January 1, 2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Hawg

I didn't know what to call it but figured pin sounded good. I used to have one of those and it had me confused for awhile. That was way before internet was a gleam in Al Gore's eye tho.