The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 11, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
w_houle

New to scoped rifles

Went out to the Topeka gun range and shot my .22 rifle 25m with open sights. I was mosly in the black, and all but a hand full on target. So I decided that my .22 was good enough for a scope.

How many times do I have to tighten this thing down, and it's not like the screws are backing out. I had to tighten it down after every three round string. Came home and tightened them down. I could probably go to it now and get an eighth of a turn out of some screws with only light pressure.

Now all I need to do is figure out what kind of bipod I can use. I also need to work on upper body strength. My sight was moving in a 4" circle for standing unsupported. It improved some when sitting with my elbows on my knees, but not enough to make any kind of solid groups.

I guess it takes a shift in perspective to see exactly where my skill is... and isn't.
Old June 11, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2
dcody40

Don't give up keep learning

You got the right idea, but the old shakyjake standing position IMO is the last shooting stance you would want during the learning phase, unless you try a monopod (stick) for support, just practice shooting, try a bench and some sandbags and practice your trigger control, breathing methods, and as far as your scope goes, I don't understand how a .22 rifle is shooting the scope loose, what brand/make is it, and are you sure it's sitting good and aligned in the rings, also what screws are working loose, the rifle to rings or the rings to scope tube ? Don't over tighten the screws, it could break them, in the rings or worse in the rifle.

Tell us more, I'm sure we can help get you shooting straight, oh and the sitting position is good if you do it right, don't go bone to bone for your support, look it up ! there are a ton of tips out here. Good luck and talk to us.
Welcome to the fold.

Duane USN/Reg
Certified plinker.
Old June 11, 2010, 05:42 PM   #3
w_houle

Here are the rings: http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Site-Styl.../dp/B0000V2ITU and I think I have it fully tightened down now
Old June 11, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
James R. Burke

I use locktight on all of mine. Make sure you use the one that will come apart when you want it to. I then leave it sit for a day or two, and that should do that part. He is right for now do your practicing, and sighting in off the bench. When you get good and comfortable, and sighted in then try some free arm or whatever you want. Also you will know that the rifle is on. You can't make good sight adjustments without good groups. I have seen lots of the 22's back out screws just like the big bores etc.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
sserdlihc

I second on the loc-tite.
Old June 12, 2010, 01:10 AM   #6
w_houle

I managed to find enough stuff to get me comfortably seated and was able to zero. It shoots much better than I could have ever anticipated.
I would say for the amount of rounds fired that I have the scope tightened down just fine
Old June 12, 2010, 12:29 PM   #7
James R. Burke

If you did not use lock tight it probalbly will come loose again, but maybe not.
Old June 12, 2010, 03:18 PM   #8
73-Captain

Using Loc-Tite

Honestly guys...

NEVER tell someone to use "Loc-Tite" on their guns UNLESS you tell them WHICH SPECIFIC "Loc-Tite" to use.

Doing otherwise could quickly cause someone to ruin an otherwise good gun.

C.
Old June 12, 2010, 03:51 PM   #9
sserdlihc

Quote:
NEVER tell someone to use "Loc-Tite" on their guns UNLESS you tell them WHICH SPECIFIC "Loc-Tite" to use.
I figured the OP was smart enough to go to the website and read up on which thread locker to use and not just do "eanie meanie miney mo". My mistake

http://loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml

Just move your cursor over any of the thread lockers and it will tell you what you will need for dissasembly.
Old June 12, 2010, 05:27 PM   #10
James R. Burke

That was me, and since I am no good at rembering colors, and want to stay on the safe side on my first post I said make sure to use the one that will come apart when you want it to. I take it he is a smart guy and picked up on that. I dont know how you would ruin the rifle, just maybe the scope or the screws when you heat it up to take it apart, but I doubt it would ruin the rifle.

Last edited by James R. Burke; June 12, 2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Add:
Old June 12, 2010, 08:04 PM   #11
James R. Burke

73-Captain I could not read your message for some reason. Sorry about that.
Old June 12, 2010, 09:47 PM   #12
w_houle

I like trivia, and locktite really fills that knowledge niche, but why do today for what I can fully well do tomorrow.
I shot it again using target ammo and my groups shrunk by a great margin. It (the scope) still is tight.
Old June 13, 2010, 08:30 AM   #13
James R. Burke

Great they may not back out on you, and glad it is working correct. Captain I finally got your message's, and replyed. After being in the military it's hard not saying Sir, or gun instead of rifle or weapon. Just joking but it is.