The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
tprickett

WW's for 9mm?

Should I be able to shoot water cooled wheel weights in a 9mm and not get leading or do I need to mix in some linotype?

I took some to the range that I'd cast and sized (all felt like the sizing shaved lead off - so I feel confident they are correctly sized). After shooting 30, I had a decent coating of lead in my barrel.

I shot the same lead in my .45's and had no leading problems.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Welcome aboard! Have you slugged your 9mm barrel to find the groove diameter? I shoot air cooled WWs sized .0015 over groove diameter and have no problems. Sizing .002 over groove diamter is even better for 9mm.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 15, 2010, 07:39 AM   #3
hornady

As said above. The number one reason for leading is shooting bullets that don’t fit the bore diameter. There are other factors. But I would say this is your problem. I would pick up a copy of Lyman cast bullet Manual. It will get you started in the right direction. And its full of cast bullet loads.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
mac266

What they said. After you slug the bore and size to the proper dimension, if you still have leading problems it's probably a result of velocity. Play with different powder charges (within the safe limits of your manual, of course) until you find one that produces little or no leading.

Of course, you can always get a mould designed to take a gas check, too. You'll find the leading goes WAY down when you use checks.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

You didn't say what the gun was? The polygonal barrels have problems with cast bullet leading that conventional barrels don't.

In addition to getting the bullet diameter correct, try headspacing on the bullets instead of the case mouth or the extractor hook. See the third image from the left, below. This often stops severe leading. It usually provides the best accuracy. You can also firelap a barrel to further smooth it for lead bullets.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 15, 2010, 03:04 PM   #6
hornady

The Glock and I believe the HK are the only two with the polygonal barrel Issue, Are there others.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:58 PM   #7
tprickett

Quote:
Have you slugged your 9mm barrel to find the groove diameter
No. I have some pure lead. Is that capable of being used to slug with? When you say to size to a larger diameter, the moulds are .356. Do you play games (e.g. beagle your mould) to cast to a larger size?

Quote:
I would pick up a copy of Lyman cast bullet Manual. It will get you started in the right direction
Its on my to do list. But, there is a 4th edition due out this spring, so I'm waiting for that.

Quote:
You didn't say what the gun was?
A CZ-75 and a Sig 226

I've been shooting lead (sized .356) for years. Up until now, its all been purchased from someone else. I'll certainly follow your advice to size larger (once I figure out how to cast larger and buy a sizing die larger), but wonder why the purchased bullets don't lead, but mine do.

Quote:
try headspacing on the bullets instead of the case mouth or the extractor hook
I think I'm already doing this. Unchambering a round takes a bit of force ;-)

Is this just a way to prevent as much gas from getting around the bullet?

Thanks all!
Old February 15, 2010, 08:05 PM   #8
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Quote:
Have you slugged your 9mm barrel to find the groove diameter

No. I have some pure lead. Is that capable of being used to slug with? When you say to size to a larger diameter, the moulds are .356. Do you play games (e.g. beagle your mould) to cast to a larger size?
No, geneally you buy molds after you slug your bore... . I buy molds that are used for 38spl/357mag and shoot them at .358 because my barrel slugs at .3565". Pure lead is ok t slug your bore with. Just make sure you lube the slug and the barrel....or else you will be sorry. Use a brass cleaning rod or wood dowel to drive it thru.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old February 22, 2010, 02:35 PM   #9
hornady

I think some times guys that do assume everyone knows how to. The easiest way to make a slug is to find a Drill bit just a little over the Barrel Diameter. Drill a hole in a board. Oak works best. If you have an Aluminum plate clamp the board down to it . And pour lead in. then drive your plug out of the board. I lube the slug and barrel up and drive the plug threw
Old February 22, 2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Paul B.

You can also buy a few of those egg shaped sinkers that are slightly larger than the bore. If you use a wood dowel, be careful while driving the slug though the barrel. I prefer my 9MM bullets be sized to .002" larger than groove diameter. FWIW, the three 9MM handguns whose barrels I have slugged all measure .357" Makes a big improvement in accuracy BTW.
Paul B.
Old February 23, 2010, 10:39 PM   #11
chris in va

I have pretty bad leading with my CZ using air and water dropped WW. The only accuracy I can resemble is slowing the boolit way down at the very low end of the powder charge.
Old February 24, 2010, 07:52 AM   #12
hornady

Chris some times its best to start over. You need to get the lead out. I have used the Lewis Lead remover sold www.brownells.com with good results. You need to slug your barrel. The main cause of leading is shooting an under size bullet. As for water dropping bullets. This only works if you are casting from Wheel weights. The Arsenic in WW is what makes them harder heat-treated. But if getting leading Hardness will not help you.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:22 PM   #13
chris in va

My barrel is slugged at .355, boolits are .357. I plan to get the 124gr 38 Special mold (.358) and see if that helps. If not, I'll just have to settle for my typical shotgun pattern at 25 yards. At least they don't keyhole like before.
Old February 24, 2010, 07:46 PM   #14
dahermit

I have had good results with bullets cast from w.w. plus 2% Tin, in an RCBS gas check 125 grain mould sized to .357. No leading with any load.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:57 PM   #15
totalloser

Before giving up, I might try a different lube. What are you currently using?

What type of lube grooves?

Also, since the problem might be a large bore, I might try not sizing. Lead "work softens" versus other materials like brass and some steels that "work harden" so your water dropped boolits will get softer from sizing. So sizing might not only make them too small, but also softer.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:56 PM   #16
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

White Label BAC lube.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~