The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
coldpointcrossing

WWB NATO 9mil

Hey. Just picked up 10 boxes of WWB NATO 124g 9mil. Practiced with 2 boxes and it seems impressive enough. Felt a good bit hotter than standard ball and I'm sure my shooting backstop would agree. Anybody else shooting this stuff? Ran it through my G19 and Witness by the way with excellent results.
Old March 7, 2010, 07:52 PM   #2
PSP

Great practice ammo. I like it.
Old March 7, 2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Eagleks

It's a +P+ military load if it's the NATO Ranger Ammo. It's about 38,500 psi vs a normal 9 mm at 35,000 PSI. It's standard + 10%. Per Glock, it is not to be used in Glocks, as the structure is not made to handle it. XD's, other Springfields and Beretta's will handle it without damaging the gun... unless you put a few thousand rounds thru them with it... then they will wear faster.
Old March 7, 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
gearchecker

WWB NATO 9mm --- good stuff

You will like it. My wife went thru a box yesterday with her PPS and not a single failure. the barrel looked pretty clean too. The FMJ's are easy to cycle and keep the bores wiped down pretty well.

You might want to try the Sellier & Belloit 124 Gr. too. It is loaded to NATO specs as well but about $3-5 less per box. It's clean and has the same power range as the WWB.
They're both packed to SAMMI and NATO power band standards.
Generally they are considered a hotter +P load by current ammo standards. In reality they are just a standard SAMMI load. Almost everything else on the market is sub SAMMI loads if it does not have a +P rating.
The ammo manufacturers have reduced the loads to reduce the pressures. so they won't be held responsible or liable for a lower quality gun firing their ammo and blowing up.
We've all read posts about the "Cheaper guns" that don't hold up.
Imagine what they'd do if they were firing the higher powder loads when they failed.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old March 8, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5
johnbt

I still have a small pile of it left and like it a great deal. It looks like this...

The NATO Ranger ammo I've seen was in brown boxes, not white.

John
Old March 8, 2010, 10:10 PM   #6
rock185

I have shot literally cases of Winchester NATO Ball, and all the IMI "Black Tip" carbine ball, +p and +P+ I could afford, through S&W, HK, Browning, Colt, Ruger, Kimber, Glock and SIG handguns. There were/are no issues or problems of any kind. I continue to do so. Both the white and tan box Winchester NATO ammunition produces the same average velocities in my guns. Velocities average, very generally, about 50-100 fps higher than standard 9mm ammo in my guns. Most, if not all, 9mm pistols sold through retail channels will have literature/owners manuals saying to use SAAMI spec ammo only (for obvious liability reasons). Pistol manufacturers may provide different information to police and military users. I'm surprised to hear that Glock doesn't recommend use of NATO ammo. I believe Glocks have a NATO stock number. I have a copy of an old bulletin from Karl F. Walter, then a Glock V.P., and addressed to " U.S. Law Enforcement Agencies ". In the bulletin, Mr. Walter discusses use of NATO,+P and +P+ 9mm ammunition in Glock pistols. Mr. Walter writes, " This type of ammuniton does not exceed maximum NATO specification pressure levels and is totally compatible to be used in Glock pistols." He also mentions that, " The pressure range of 9mm ammunition ( commonly available on the U.S. commercial market ) is primarily produced to extend the service life of pistiols that do not meet NATO endurance test specifications, hence limiting liability risks for certain ammunition and pistol manufacturers." I haven't read my SIG owners manual lately, but I know that in the SIG Armorer trainings I have attended, every instructor has told us that all commercial SAAMI spec and NATO ammo is approved for use in SIG pistols.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Teuthis

You might consider using a stronger recoil spring to shoot those rounds. Wolff Springs makes them for almost any pistol that I know. I use an 18 lb recoil spring on my Hi-Power when shooting ato rounds. It will keep the slide from pounding on the frame too much.
Old March 9, 2010, 01:48 PM   #8
johnbt

Although a stronger spring will cause the slide to pound the frame more when going forward. John