The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Speer Nickle Plated Cases.... Weak?

I've just recently got my reloading setup put together and I've been looking through my brass, and putting a few through the press to get the dies set.

Anyway, I'm looking through all my brass and at least 30%, probably 50%, of the Speer cases are cracked at the neck (before I run them through the dies). They were factory new rounds fired one time in a Glock 33 (357sig). The rest of the cases I have examined are Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" and I have yet to find a single case with a problem.

My readings here(this current thread for example) and elsewhere indicate that this is NOT normal for the nickle-plated cases.

What say you?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 19, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: To include caliber
Old August 19, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Mark whiz

Nickel-plated cases are more brittle than standard brass and so the case mouths are a tad more prone to cracking. But not normally as bad as you have decribed those Speer cases. I've reloaded various nickel cases dozens of times and every so often I get a cracked mouth - if it is too deep I chunk it...........if it's only slight, I'll trim it and reload it again.

I've put at least 2 dozen reloads on a set of Winchester .308 nickel cases without a single mouth issue............retiring them only because the primer pockets got too loose.

So - I'd have to say that set of Speer brass is probably a substandard batch - at least I hope it is for Speer's sake.
!
Old August 19, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, that's odd. Could be a faulty plating job, though the .40 can be hard on cases. I'd trash the rest unless you are going to set them aside for light loads. Even then, I expect many of them will crack on flaring for seating the bullet anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 19, 2009, 01:13 PM   #4
hornady

This dose seem odd. I have loaded thousands of rounds of Nickel brass over the last 40 years. Nickel is more brittle. Thus less reloadable. But in pistol mid-range loads. You should be Able to load it a couple dozen times before it is unusable. But if new something is not right here. I would contact Speer. This would have to be a bad lot
Old August 19, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
though the .40 can be hard on cases

357sig.(I've edited the OP to include that tid-bit)

I wonder if the bottle-neck may have something to do with it, but none of other cases seem affected.
Old August 19, 2009, 01:53 PM   #6
goldfacade

I would throw them away also, thats a high pressure round, and I wouldn't want a 38k psi blow torch in my chamber. It is odd with such early failure, as I usually get 5 or so reloads from nickel.
Old August 19, 2009, 02:21 PM   #7
GeauxTide

I gave up on nickel plates many years ago. I could only get 2-3 reloads and they were done.
Old August 19, 2009, 02:29 PM   #8
margiesex

Again - odd ball out...

I've had no problem with the Speer brass I've loaded - many times. Both nickel and non. Hopefully, it's a bad batch only, and it's not some new poor quality control flaw......

I do not know, but I'd think that the bottle neck of the .357 sig is the culprit.

Speer brass has been good to me - except when they throw in a small primer pocket for the .45!

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old August 19, 2009, 02:57 PM   #9
BigJimP

I suspect the bottle neck on the .357 Sig is the issue / but like others said, I find the nickel cases more brittle as well --- and in .40 S&W I do see more cracks in them than the straight brass.

I don't see any issues on nickel cases in .357 mag or in .45 acp / where I do have a fair number of them in the mix ...... but I always have a few of them show up in 9mm as well.

I would recommend you toss the other speer cases just so you don't have to fool with them / although if they aren't cracked, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend firing a cracked case......
Old August 19, 2009, 03:06 PM   #10
SL1

I have been picking-up .357 Sig cases shot by some local LE types at my range, and I did find one that has the cracking you are asking about. I noticed it when I cleaned it. There is a crack in the case mouth down to the shoulder and another, not quite lined-up with the first, on the body from the shoulder about ΒΌ" down toward the head. They both go completely through the case, not just the nickel plating. I think this is a once-fired case.

I have picked-up hundreds of Sig cases from the same source and not seen this. I have shot a fair amount of their Lawman brass (not plated) and some of their Gold Dot (plated) ammo and never seen this before.

I thought maybe I had just found an odd-ball case. Now I am wondering if it is a lot problem at Speer.

Please let us know if you get any explanations from Speer.

SL1