The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 5, 2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Servo77

Beretta PX4 storm questions?

I was handling a PX-4 storm the other day and it seemed like a really nice pistol design, but I have not been able to find a lot of information about it. Any "torture test" info? Ho does the bruniton finish compare to other modern offerings? Accuracy? Any agencies adopt it yet?

(BTW...I did use the search engine but couldin't find anything that really answered what I am looking for.)
Old May 5, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Smoke Screen

I've heard of several pd's around the states using the px4. Canadian Customs and Border Patrol recently made a contract with Beretta to supply their agents with .40's. I recently won an auction for one (G Series) on gunbroker and can't wait to get it..
Old May 5, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
(BH)

trying to research the px4 online is like pulling teeth. i looked all over for info but couldnt find anything but specs and pictures. so.......

i said screw it and bought one. i had to search around quite a bit for a .40 cal typeF but found one and bought it. i have not had the time to really put this gun to the test as far as endurance/reliability. nor have i found any writings from anyone who has.

i can tell you this:
1. its very fun to shoot (very accurate, great trigger).
2. i didnt have any hiccups during the 300 rds i put through it.
3. i like the way weight distribution in comparison to many other .40's iv shot.
4. the interchangeable backstraps are always a plus. and i like that it comes with three 14 rnd mags.
5. i have to say though, the grips are a bit slippery and as you hopefully already guessed those sights certainly do not stay lit nearly as long as they claim (imagine that).

i can definitely say i dont regret this purchase. its priced well and i love the way it shoots.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:06 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's a review I did of the one I purchased.

http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1299.0
Old May 6, 2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Don P

Just curious as to what the torture test will actually prove. My opinion is most new quailty firearmes today will and should/ can be able to perfom in a torture test. Glock's, XD's, Beretta's, S&W's CZ's and all the rest. My PX4 has held up well as far as finish. As far as accuracy goes quality firearms are capabile of out shooting the owners 99% of the time. In other words the PX4 is more accurate than you are unless you are in the 1% in being capable of matching the accuracy of the said handgun.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6
haymaker

Did you take a look at www.berettaforum.net?
Old May 7, 2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Hirlau

Good article, JohnKSa.

I have a .40, it's my home protection pistol. Chose it over the others due to reliability,accuracy, and little recoil. I keep an M-6 laser/light on it.

Old May 7, 2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Bart Noir

I compared the trigger pull of my Px4 to my Cougar. The newer trigger design is for sure better than the older one, which I imagine is very similar to the M9 / Model 92 series.

The DA trigger on the Px4 can also be carried "slightly cocked" according to the manual. This lessens the length of pull of the DA trigger a bit, without removing the safety feature of needing a DA pull before the shot goes off.

And the rotating barrel seems to change the recoil, with less of the muzzle-flipping-up going on. Naturally, the laws of physics will apply so the actual recoil can't change (with a given cartridge and a given weight of handgun) but it feels less.

Bart Noir