The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 7, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Housezealot

Pepper spray when you can't CCW

Several years ago, I bought a few cans of pepper spray for the occasion I couldn't carry a handgun (place were CCW wasn't permited or back then I didn't have a family so I might have a few drinks when I was out with my buddies)
well I was still carrying a can on occasion when in a sports arena, kids school etc.
yesterday I noticed the can I had on me said "best if used by 2005" so I figured I would throw it out and buy a new can, before tossing it I stepped outside and gave it a squirt.....
the stream went about 1.5 feet for about 2 seconds and petered out.
I just thought I would worn you guys that if you ever carry pepper spray check the experation. I can't imagine how bad it would be to try to use that on an attacker with say , a knife
Old May 7, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2
M4Sherman

What ever you do dont get that SH@# on you!!!....Come on we where 10 and it was just laying there. How where we to know there was no running water.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

My Gran-ma tried to mace a squirrel that was in one of her bird feeders once... The mace was sprayed against the wind... Painful!!!

She is ok now. Don't tell her I told that story.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Kmar40

Many states that ban concealed hg's also ban pepper spray and mace.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
scorpion_tyr

For some, yes, OC sprays, or similar would be a good idea. If you like the idea, go for it. Maybe I'm just lazy, but when I'm not carrying something that goes bang I just rely on my SA, my shoes, and if needed a nice pocket knife, or my hands.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:52 AM   #6
kmrcstintn

before helping my father move out of the old house and in with me, I found an old can of OC he had leftover from his days working security; I took it out back and activated it...went 5 feet for about 2 seconds and then nothing!!! ever since, I rotate & replace all our OC and OC/CS sprays on a regular basis
Old May 10, 2009, 05:22 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

It is not a good idea to use the spray inside of a club. It has the possility of leaving you liable for a very bad out come. I rember a story of the use of pepper spray in a club that lead to death of some of the patrons. People were so intent on getting out into fresh air that some people were trampled and killed, a few more serioulsly injured.
Inside the place bad idea. If attacked in the parking lot, do what you have to. Know that you should back up if you spray someone. Give the spray a moment to take effect, also this minimise the chance of the spray taking you out as well. If you use it inside count on the fact that it is going to affect you as well.
Using good judgement and common sense are must.