The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Romeo 33 Delta

Tutorial On Brass Shotgun Shell Reloading

Folks ... I've been reloading for about 20+ years now, but only for rifles and pistols. I have a couple of cowboy action 12 gauges and a really sweet Martini 12 gauge and I'd like to get a brief tutorial from you on the proper and safe reloading of 2-3/4", 12ga brass case with a mild load ... not for hunting ... just blowing up cardboard ta rgets.

Thanks in advance
Old March 28, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, you'd need to locate the proper thickness material to make the top wads.

And, depending on the powder and shot load, you might need to add a few spacer wads, as well.

Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward procedure, not unlike loading a straight walled rifle case.

The differences, of course, are that you have to crimp the top wad in place, and to do that, you need a special die.

Last time I looked, RCBS offered dies for reloading brass cases.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:57 PM   #3
HiBC

I have watched a friend load them,blackpowder.

I can't tell you the whole deal,but,

Get in touch with Ballistic Products.They ARE shotgun reloading.I have heard just their catalogue is a wealth of info.

The ID of brass cases is larger than plastic hulls due to thinner walls.
To get a good gas seal,and therefore good ignition and not blow-by through the load,Ballistic products has 11 ga wads and cups

And,you may want to check to make sure you truly do have a 2 3/4 in chamber.Older 12 ga might be a 2 1/2 or 2 5/8
Old March 29, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
snuffy

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Quote:
And,you may want to check to make sure you truly do have a 2 3/4 in chamber.Older 12 ga might be a 2 1/2 or 2 5/8
The brass is less than 2.5 inches long, so that allows their use in most european
shorter chambers.

I've loaded some just for grins, really no set purpose. I use 10 gauge over shot wads, and 10 ga. plastic gas seals. I also have some 10 ga. card wads, 12 ga. fiber fillers can be used as long as a 10 ga. is above and below the smaller filler wad. I have the RCBS dies, but don't have a press that I can use them in. I used a latex crankcase sealer to hold the overshot wad in place.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 30, 2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Romeo 33 Delta

Hi and thanks to you all for my first, tentative steps.