The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 22, 2006, 11:16 PM   #1
TCman

I heard a gunshot...

A few min ago I heard a very loud gunshot, like a handgun or rifle. My grandparents live 5 houses down, so I wanted to check on them. I didnt want to go unarmed so I grabbed my knife necklace and my 870. The only shells I have are birdshot and 3in steel BB. I used the BB and checked on the grandparents and came home. My only other guns that are here are my sks with five fmj rounds, A ruger 10-22 with a scope and a unscoped m700 30-06. Did I do the right thing by checking on my grandparents, and did I use the best gun and ammo?
Old March 23, 2006, 12:14 AM   #2
#18indycolts

Tc-what it boils down to is: yes. Grab what you have. Birdshot...00buck...whatever, you grabbed what was available, and I commend you for it.
Old March 23, 2006, 12:22 AM   #3
xjmox14x

doesnt matter what kind of shot it is for the shotgun shells, in the heat of the moment, grab whatever you need, any shell will take out a human.
Old March 23, 2006, 12:24 AM   #4
Omega blood

What's wrong with a phone? You couldn't call them?
Old March 23, 2006, 12:27 AM   #5
#18indycolts

omega-thats why WE carry...because LEO's are NOT around us 24 hrs. a day.
Old March 23, 2006, 12:45 AM   #6
Overman

I think if you've got an 870 on your shoulder (no matter what the shot size) you'll do fine. A 12 Guage with just about any shell is what I would pick up when and if I feared for the safety of my loved ones.

And as I was walking out the door, I'd pocket my .357 snubbie as well. And maybe strap on my .45. And maybe... well, you get the idea.
Old March 23, 2006, 01:06 AM   #7
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overman
And as I was walking out the door, I'd pocket my .357 snubbie as well. And maybe strap on my .45. And maybe... well, you get the idea.
Don't forget the grenades, j/k

The neighborhood around here cleaned up.
Used to hear shots every few nights.
Now only really late or early morning, still not nearly as much.
Got to the point were if it didn't sound like it was within 5-houses, i didnt
even go outside.
We have a few packin close and ready to go quickly.
We haven't had a shooting on our street in awhile.
Old March 23, 2006, 01:08 AM   #8
CWO4USCGRET

I think first...

I could call them...after calling 911; running into the street with a shotgun especially after hearing what might have been a shotgun, isn't the smartest thing....don't get me wrong - the safety of your grandparents is important - but if the police are on scene - you could become an armed perp...not a caring grandchild....
Old March 23, 2006, 02:06 AM   #9
westphoenix

He never stated he ran into the street.

But I get your point of him creeping around after gun shoots ins't the best idea.
Someone may think you are the shooter and feel the need to defend themselves.
Old March 23, 2006, 02:22 AM   #10
gac009

18indy- I think omega meant for the OP to call his gradparents and not the police.
Old March 23, 2006, 07:17 AM   #11
threegun

Call the GP's first. Then go help if needed. As said above you might get confused for the real shooter.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:51 AM   #12
invention_45

I'm glad so many people suggested what I would do: Phone them.

Unless you have a very clear good reason to do so, you should NOT move in the direction of trouble.

I learned this by luck, but could have been the hard way. In 1980, I lived in Hialeah, Florida. I stepped out the front door, which faces south, one morning and saw a huge plume of thick black smoke coming from the direction of the airport. I was running just-in-time to make it to a college class, so I resisted the temptation to go and see what I thought was a plane crash.

On my way to campus, I had the radio on. There was no plane crash. It was Norton Tire being burned by the 1980 riots. People who happened upon that scene were, in some cases, removed from their vehicles and murdered.

So, if I could not reach them by phone, THEN I would have to investigate personally. But not before dialing 911.
Old March 23, 2006, 09:11 AM   #13
Jesse D310

Youre lucky a cop didnt see you walking with the shotgun. But I guess you did that because it was youre fastest choice. I would've took something more concealable but thats just me.
Old March 23, 2006, 10:48 AM   #14
doubleaes2

Quote:
sks with five fmj rounds
Only five?
Old March 23, 2006, 12:21 PM   #15
9mm_prn

I would have called 1st (cell). Granny and then the PD.

Like someone had posted earlier, carrying the SG is like painting a giant bullseye on yourself and puts you at even higher risk of being shot by
1. a neighbor who thinks your the BG
2. the BG (remember you don't know who he is and if your running through the neighborhood with a SG so he's most likely gonna see you 1st)
3. A cop

2 suggestions, get some slugs and 00buck for that shotgun and purchase a good auto.

Have you heard anything yet as to what the shooting was about?
Old March 23, 2006, 08:25 PM   #16
TCman

I wanted to get an auto... I was gettin a cz75bd police for $320. My mom wouldnt let me get a handgun.
Old March 23, 2006, 09:23 PM   #17
LICCW

Convince mom

TCman: You must convince Mom to let you get a pistol. A shottie is not a good run up the street and investigate grandma's house weapon not because of its firepower but because you cannot conceal it. I hear you, you hear a noise, worry about loved ones and go check it out. You cannot call LEOs every time you hear a noise on the block. Could be fireworks, a backfiring car, etc. I hear fireworks all the time near me, no one bothers even looking, but a dude could blow someone away and we would probably think it was more fireworks. But in case someone calls the police, its a lot easier to have your pistol concealed as your standing on Grandma's lawn and not have anyone know your armed, than be seen sporting a 12 gauge. Besides, when you checked on them you wouldn't alarm them needlessly. A pistol is a necessary part of any home's defensive options. Convince your mother.
Old March 23, 2006, 10:58 PM   #18
TCman

I didnt want to scare my grandparents so I very carefully looked in the window to make sure they are ok.
Old March 23, 2006, 11:13 PM   #19
9mm_prn

TCman, how old are you?

LICCW, remember he does not have a CCW.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:38 AM   #20
LICCW

9mm_prn: You are right. Thank you for reminding me. My post should have stated obtain the proper premiits then convince Mom. Do not break the law and carry without a permit. Then you face a weapons charge if the police show up and you have the gun on you. I never carry out of the scope of my license. A shooting out of the scope of you license, depending on jurisdiction, can be viewed as a no license at all scenario. If your permit prohibits enetering places where on premise alcohol sales are the majority of the business' sales, then many juridictions will require you not go in heavy. Get involved in a shooting, and your permit is not in effect, and you face a weapons charge on top of all else. It can get ugly. I was thinking more in terms of utilizing your CCW to investigate a home because I was thinking about the laws of my area which prohibit the "brandishing" of any firearm, be it rifle, shotgun, or pistol. Also, the thread starter's age does cvome in to play. I have a brother in law who lives at home and is 26, but if the thread starter is underage, then I'm an idiot for opening my trap.