The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 25, 1998, 10:15 PM   #1
Gordon

Would doing some glass bedding work increase the accuracy of a rifle which has an HS Precision stock? The action seems to have a good bit of side to side play until the screws are torqued down tightly.
Or, is this an appropriate situation for this type of stock?
Any answers out there?
Old October 26, 1998, 12:27 AM   #2
Mac Scott

Gordon,

I'm a pistolsmith and, as such, have little experience in bedding rifles, although my business partner has done a great many. I can tell you, however, that from what you describe you can probably expect quite an improvement in accuracy from a good bedding job. If your action is moving around in the stock, accuracy has to be suffering somewhat.

You might also consider pillar bedding, in which limiting sleeves of a certain length are installed in the stock screw channels. This regulates the amount of force exerted on the stock when these screws are properly snugged.

Are you planning on doing this job yourself, or having it done by a gunsmith? If the former, it's not that big a job if you just take the time to do it properly -- and do ALL your reference research before you mix up a batch of 'glas and start spreading it all over the inside of your stock.

Regard,

----Mac

Mac Scott
http://www.colt380.com
[email protected]
Old October 27, 1998, 01:04 AM   #3
4V50
Retired Screen Name

Check out Tactical Shooter, Nov. 1998 edition. Makes you think twice before playing with the glass bedding. Does it shoot poorly and if now, why mess with it? I left more details in your other posting.