The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2000, 10:19 AM   #1
Battler

I am considering a couple of pump-action shotguns.

I know it's dumb; but I would like a folding stock, 18.5" (min legal) and 8-shot capacity. I figure for this I have to buy a regular stock model and swap out the buttstock (in which case when I figure out it's dumb I can switch back).

My two choices are:

Wincester 1300 defender standard buttstock - only problem is the availability of buttstock/parts - anyone know where I can get a folding or telescoping stock?

Remington 870 - Great parts availability; but comes stock with short mag tube - how hard is it to up the tube capacity to the full 8?

Ultimately, this is for a shotgun that can reside in a small area of the trunk.

Does anyone know of anywhere where one can order folding stocks for the Winchester? Or how hard is it to up the capacity (without sacrificing reliability) on the 870?

thanks,
Battler.

Old August 7, 2000, 10:28 AM   #2
jthuang

I believe Choate Machine & Tool makes folding stocks for both guns. One outfit that carries all sorts of Choate products is Bushmaster Firearms (http://www.bushmaster.com).

To add the extended tube on a non-Police Remington 870, you need a Dremel tool or drill -- you need to eliminate the magazine dimples that Remington installed to prevent use of an extended tube.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old August 7, 2000, 10:28 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of old threads about this,a little research will show you plenty of info, including why I regard folders with loathing(G)...

Aftermarket mag extensions are not too expensive, 8install easily and are mostly very reliable. Try either the Choate or the Remington, if indeed Remington sells it considering the new, PC shotguns they're foisting off on us.

If I needed a truly compact trunk gun, I'd procure something like a Savage double bbl shortened to 20" bbls and carry it broken down with a few shells. In fact, I did exactly that with one for a few years...
Old August 7, 2000, 10:45 AM   #4
Battler

Bushmaster has the folding stock for the Win 1200 - will this fit the 1300?

Also, from where can I order the 870 Tube extendsion?

thanks,
Battler.
Old August 7, 2000, 12:47 PM   #5
jthuang

Battler, sorry I don't know whether the accessory for the 1200 will fit the 1300.

You can order 870 magazine extensions from Scattergun Technologies (http://www.scattergun.com) or Dillon Precision, which sells Scattergun accesories (http://www.dillonprecision.com). I'm sure there are other places which sell magazine extensions for the 870, including CTD (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) and maybe Tapco.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old August 8, 2000, 08:47 AM   #6
Ned Roundtree

Bushmaster has the Choate folding stocks for Winchester 1200. I would call and ask them if it would fit Winchester 1300. They have both top folding and side folding stocks. Good luck.