The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2016, 10:01 AM   #1
CedarGrove357

H&r sportsman .22lr

I received an H&R Sportsman pistol [9 shot 22LR top break 6" barrel] last night from a friend who had it handed down to him third generation in his family. The problem is it wont shoot. Upon inspection, the rotating gear on the ejector is worn "nicely", the cam on the hand that rotates the cylinder is worn badly, and the firing pin on the hammer looks like its either broken off or badly worn. It locks up tight, the cylinder rotates smooth and the cylinder attempts to turn and lock when cocked.

Revolvers are new to me, but I have read quite a bit on their repair. I will be reading again. In the mean time, I checked Numrich for parts, none to be found. This model I found in BBGV which said it was circa 1930 - 1959 production period.

Any of you have other ideas for parts sources or such? I am going to tear down and see if I wind up having to make parts. The real concern is the gear on the ejector.
20161120_080338_sm.jpg

20161120_080259_sm.jpg

20161120_075945_sm.jpg

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old November 20, 2016, 05:22 PM   #2
guncrank

Bob's gun parts
Build or stretch the hand

Ejector star weld up and remachine to correct specs(???)
Best bet is not to worry with star and fix firing pin and hand.
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old November 20, 2016, 09:24 PM   #3
CedarGrove357

Thanks GunCrank, I don't mind building new parts for this model; i figured that may be the path. The ejector star is the only thing I am concerned about.

Bob's is closed until after Thanksgiving, I will see if they have a replacement ejector.

Thanks to TinCanBandit, I was able to get some semblance of a breakdown on this model. Kudos to you for your Blog!!

Old November 22, 2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Check to see if the gun is loose in the hinge joint. In other words, grip the grip and barrel, and see if it seems to have slack, like it will try to open due to a worn latch. If they loosen up, the hand will mar the cylinder ratchet due to misalignment. You generally see wear from this where the center pin meets the frame, as it looks like you have. If it is loose, then it will have to be tightened up. This is common in these old top-breaks.
Old November 22, 2016, 09:51 PM   #5
Hawg

Maybe this will help narrow the production date down some. http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/201...-revolver.html
Old November 23, 2016, 11:17 AM   #6
CedarGrove357

I found his Blog Hawg, thanks. Love his stuff. That is how I found out its a 1st model third variation, 1934. I found a matching cylinder/ejector star on Ebay that is stamped with the next sequential serial number to this pistol that is in excellent shape. Its on its way. The next biggest thing is the firing pin. Its part of the hammer, so I will either need to find a replacement hammer or get crafty with some tool steel.

Dixie, the gun is solid - even at the hinge joint. I checked that first to see if there was any slop at all in the hinge. Its tight, I feel lucky there.

I've kinda fallen in love with this gun. Thats kinda my weak point - as people bring in these older guns for help, I seem to be liking them all. So I guess I will be on the gun show prowl for an H&R 999 or 929. lol!!

I just wish I had gotten more involved in guns 25 years ago!

Old September 20, 2020, 06:12 PM   #7
Sapper7

If the hing is loose how can I repair it?

Last edited by Sapper7; September 20, 2020 at 11:58 PM.