The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 28, 2013, 05:51 PM   #51
Double Naught Spy

Bad guys don't just come in the dark. This home invasion in NJ is pretty brutal, hard to watch, NSFWF.
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...-tape.cnn.html
Old June 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #52
Garycw

Door bell rang at 2am, called the police

I hope he has been caught and receives a daily big dose of jailhouse justice. That woman may not ever get over the terror of that. She and the family is very lucky she wasn't killed.
I also keep a loaded gun in my bathroom feeling that's where I might be most defenseless
Old June 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #53
Tactical Jackalope

I was eating a sandwich on June 25th at 11:30 at night when I saw that on the news and had to put my sandwich down and throw it away.
Old June 28, 2013, 06:35 PM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycw View Post
I hope he has been caught and receives a daily big dose of jailhouse justice. That woman may not ever get over the terror of that. She and the family is very lucky she wasn't killed.
I also keep a loaded gun in my bathroom feeling that's where I might be most defenseless
Funny. Jut got home from work and about to shower.

Old June 28, 2013, 07:01 PM   #55
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Funny. Jut got home from work and about to shower.
Now, some may think that extreme-I don't. My EDC goes with me everywhere in the house, whether it's on my holster, or, if in jammies, in my hand. Why be ill-prepared while you're sitting on the can? Or watching TV? It's simply normal now, for me and the wife.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:23 PM   #56
Garycw

I usually CCW most all the time and always on night stand next to bed. If someone came to my door at 2-3am and truly did need help I would do everything to do so. However these days it's hard to say what people's motives may be. I had taken my daughter to college downtown once when I didn't have my CCW by chance. On the way back a crazed crack head hsving a bad day didn't like the way I changed lanes and tried to come and drag me out of car at red light. Turned green and I left. I Never go anywhere without it now.
The bathroom is the only place I didn't have access to one till I thought about being on house alone and being latterly be caught with my pants down. Especially in shower or jacuzzi tub.
I'm watching 20/20 now about a heavily armed man at home killed with a knife in his bathroom.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #57
CharlieDeltaJuliet

There were some thugs in my area that were doing break-ins and home invasions. The way they did it was knock or ring the doorbell if nobody answered, kick the door and rush in and clean the place out. If somebody answered, they had fake deputy badges and would get he home owners to open the door. They would the beat the home owners and subdue them and rob the place. The last I heard, they are still awaiting trial. People are getting more desperate and mean. The sad part is, I knew who one of the guys was. He came from a good household. They were middle class and always had nice stuff and his parents had good jobs. He got to messing with dope. Meth changed him.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 29, 2013, 07:27 AM   #58
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Double Naught Spy
Bad guys don't just come in the dark. This home invasion in NJ is pretty brutal, hard to watch, NSFWF.
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...-tape.cnn.html
Geez! How did the scumbag get into the house? Just by ringing on the doorbell? THIS is why I carry at home. Sure, it's a P32 but it'll give me a chance to get to bigger guns.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:34 AM   #59
Onward Allusion

Quote:
The way they did it was knock or ring the doorbell if nobody answered, kick the door and rush in and clean the place out. If somebody answered, they had fake deputy badges and would get he home owners to open the door.
This is why I have security bars on all doors. It buys that extra few seconds (actually A LOT more than a few seconds 'cause I had to "break into" my own home once).

I almost NEVER answer my door. IF I'm home and do answer the door and a couple of guys flash badges, I would call 911 to confirm 'em. If they start kicking at the door AFTER I tell 'em that I am calling 911 to confirm 'em, shots are going to fired - and it will all be on video.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:21 AM   #60
Double Naught Spy

Nanny Cam home invader caught and they have thrown the book at him with charges...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3519296.html

Quote:
Geez! How did the scumbag get into the house? Just by ringing on the doorbell?
Nope. You see ringing the doorbell alone doesn't open doors. They just allow the person on the porch to announce their presence. Nope, this guy got in via a typical entry method. He kicked in the door. So my post was to address two issues. First was the notion brought up above that home invasions usually happen at night. They might be more common them, but they are certainly common in the daytime. The second issue is that a ringing doorbell isn't an emergency. Kicking in a door is. However, he very well could have rung the doorbell, right, but it would apparently be a daytime ringing and apparently that would make it a much safer experience since a common notion expressed here is that a doorbell at night is a crisis. Nobody here seems interested in calling 911 when their doorbell rings in the daytime.

Bad guys don't just operate at night.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3495317.html
Old June 29, 2013, 08:30 AM   #61
Garycw

My 87 YO mother who lives by herself,once had her doorbell ring and door knocked on in the day. She does have steel security doors( first thing she did after fathers passing). Without opening the outer see through security she asked what he wanted. He never would give her a clear answer and kept saying "just open the door and I can tell you". She explained she didn't want any!! Still being persistent and not leaving she went to bedroom and retrieved a 12ga shotgun from wall. When he saw the barrel coming at him and her telling him to get outta here... He quickly took her advice this time.
Old June 29, 2013, 04:27 PM   #62
Switchblade

Generally in that particular situation I slip out the backdoor with a holstered handgun and come around from the side where I can get a better view of what the situation is. THEN I decide whether or not to dial 911.

I use to live out in the sticks, and I remember a particular instance where one of the people who owned the house I was staying at called the police about some individuals who showed up at the house after dark demanding to know where her son was. I was there and fetched a gun, as I fetched a gun, those individuals left. The police did show up, about 45 minutes later.
Old June 29, 2013, 04:46 PM   #63
peacefulgary

Quote:
So the moral of the story is not to feel bashful especially when you are the one paying the property tax bill. Let the police investigate these unusual occurrences and bumps in the night.
Sure, call the cops any time you have even the slightest uneasy feeling, or whenever you hear any thing that spooks you.

Of course the cops will quickly label you as the guy who "cries wolf".
And before long calls from your home will be on the bottom of the priority list.

"Yeah, it's that guy on Soandso lane...again."

"I guess we had better go and check it out."

"Sure, but there's no rush...he calls all the time and it's always nothing. Let's swing by the coffee shop first."

"Good idea! I could use some coffee and pie right about now. And Judy is working tonight too."

Quote:
Don't go it alone with pistol in hand like John Wayne and get yourself in legal trouble making all us firearm owners look bad in the process.
Dude, you're just answering the door bell, not waging war against an evil cattle baron and his thirty henchmen!

And what kind of legal trouble do you think you're going to get in to by answering the door while armed?
What state do you live in anyway?
Old June 29, 2013, 05:26 PM   #64
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Of course the cops will quickly label you as the guy who "cries wolf".
And before long calls from your home will be on the bottom of the priority list.
You're right. We keep a list down at the station house. Anyone that calls about a knock on the door at 2am gets on the list. From then on, we go get donuts before coming out for anything.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 29, 2013, 05:32 PM   #65
peacefulgary

Quote:
You're right. We keep a list down at the station house. Anyone that calls about a knock on the door at 2am gets on the list. From then on, we go get donuts before coming out for anything.
Hey, it's called "community policing"...and cops do get to know their community.

And for the record, you're the one that mentioned donuts, not me!
Old June 29, 2013, 05:54 PM   #66
Microgunner

One must assume that the doorbell ringing at 2am cannot be a good thing, so, any defensive actions on the home owners part, short of shooting through the door, are prudent.
Old June 29, 2013, 06:54 PM   #67
Glenn E. Meyer

Not according to the VP.

Anyway - so if you call at 2:00 AM, the police think you are nuts. Not a good advertisement. I can see if you do it repeatedly for strange noises but a knock is real and I find that view not really acceptable.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:01 PM   #68
Frank Ettin
Staff

Okay, let's close this before someone really goes for donuts.

Time for a break and a protein bar.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread