The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 13, 2012, 06:28 AM   #1
tolesy

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

I have spent the last several months by doing some heavy reading and contemplating on the 1000s of choices out there. I have come to the ultimate conclusion that I have spent too long making a decision and have ended up in a serious predicament.

I have a small list of items that are of high priority to me on my first AR: mid length gas system, 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel, adjustable stock, and some type of fixed front sight.

A build is something I have considered and is definitely not out of my realm in terms of mechanical ability but at this point I rather get a rifle and go shoot.

After traveling to every LGS within 75 miles of my home I have realized that this is not going to be a reality for me in the near future with, what seems to be, an impending shortage of rifles.

So here is my questions, should I wait for a rifle that has all the above items or should I sacrifice one or more of those items in order to have the rifle now?

If I opt for a rifle now it seems I will either sacrifice the mid gas tube or the 1:7 twist.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd work backwards, I guess. The first issue is the intended use. The stock and sight are no big deal, SFAIK. The twist is appropriate for heavy bullets and long-range target shooting. I don't have a clue about the reason for the mid-length gas system.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Crow Hunter

If it were me, I would sacrifice Mid-Length gas system in favor of good quality 1-7 barrel and other milspec components.

The mid length gas system has some theoretical advantages, but there is no "spec" for it. Everyone does it differently.

Interestingly the Mid-Length gas system was invented quite a few years ago by Armalite based on work done at Crane by the new owner Mark Westrom.

It wasn't even on the radar until BCM started making them and getting them "pimped" by several famous trainers and then getting word of mouth marketing on internet forums.

Having a barrel that will shoot any weight or gas pressure round out there is more important to me than having a gas system that might get me 18,000 instead of 15,000 rounds before I break something in the upper. (Some midlength gas systems don't shoot low pressure .223 rounds well) By the time I shoot that many rounds out of it, I can afford to buy a whole new upper.

15,000 rounds at $.30 a round is $4,500 in ammo....

Good luck.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
sailskidrive

If you don't plan on competing in three gun, shooting DCM matches, or hunting varmints, it probably really doesn't make much of a difference.

Assemble a lower half yourself and buy the complete upper from a reputable manufacturer. I wouldn't wait forever though, the market seems to be getting hotter and hotter...
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230