The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
macdefense

Beretta Ultralight Matte

I used to shoot trap a long time ago, but I haven't fired a shotgun in about 20 years. But I'd like to get back into trap and try sporting clays. So, I'm looking for a suitable shotgun. A LGS has a used Beretta Ultralight Matte o/u for about $750. What do you shotgun experts think? Is that a suitable gun for me to use to get back into trap and sporting clays? The fit seems good.

Thanks
Old August 13, 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Couzin

Just my opinion - if the gun passes wear and use/dings test, that is a very good price. However - if you are intending to shoot trap/skeet and clays - it is a 6 pound gun and it will wear you down (plus it was never intended for the volume shooting of - say, skeet). I would buy it because it is a great upland gun - then go buy something a little heavier for the clays courses. Gives you an excuse to have another gun what??
Old August 13, 2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Rugerismisticness

A light gun with a fixed breech kicks. I would much more recommend an SX2/3 sporting, browning maxus, Browning Citori XS Skeet, Benelli Cordoba/SS, or Franci I12 Sporting. All but the Citori are autos that reduce recoil, the Citori isn't a hard kicker with it's size.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
macdefense

Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with a Browning Gold Sporting Clays in excellent condition. I think it will work well for me.
Old August 21, 2011, 02:40 AM   #5
Lawyer Daggit

Ultralight 'matte' or ultra light onyx?

I have an ultra light Onyx- black action and love it. I see no reason to have a light 20 guage since I acquired one. I also have a 686 sporting that I use when I want to shoot heavy loads.

Both are great guns. I can carry the ultralight all day after grouse but not the sporting.