The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 16, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Winston81

Selling Handguns

I've heard so many different instructions, so just trying to clear some up. I live in Washington state, not sure what the different laws are state to state. i have several handguns and decided to sell a few, did not know what the best way legally is to go about doing so. I [I]prefer[I] to meet up with someone at a place which does transfers, or have them show me a concealed permit or military ID. I dont know, i just like to know i'm not selling to some whack job... sure ya'll understand! Your opinions...?
Old December 16, 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

If you're not sure of the laws in your state, going through an FFL for a sale is probably the safest way to go. However, it's not usually necessary for a sale where the buyer is also a resident of your state.

Not being flippant, but they are your guns and you're free to impose any restrictions on the sale that you want. Just state any unusual restrictions up front when you place the ad.

My personal opinion? I've bought more than one or two new guns and I've also bought and sold a decent number of used guns. In all cases I do what is legally required to complete the transaction and nothing more. As an non-FFL seller if you wanted to see my CHL or DL for a sale I'd probably show it to you to demonstrate that I'm a resident of the state, but if you started trying to copy information from it I would stop you. At that point it would be your prerogative to stop the transaction if you wanted. It's not that I have anything to hide, it's just that I don't give out personal information unless I have to.

Others may not care. That's why I say that whatever you decide to do, state the restrictions up fron to avoid confusion or hard feelings down the road.
Old December 16, 2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Winston81

Thanks, yeah makes sense, just want to cover my @$$....
Old December 16, 2009, 07:12 AM   #4
blume357

As mentioned, find out if there are laws restricting a face to face

sale in your state. I don't think there are and if there aren't.... then the only potential restriction is you can only sell to a resident of your state that can legally own the gun... with that said, I have never been insulted when a seller ask me for identification... a bill of sale with both your's and their information on it is not a bad idea.

In all honesty I've never sold a gun, but I have bought a number of them and often the person selling he gun requires this... if the person buying the gun has a concealed weapons permit from the state then it is obvious they can legally buy and own the gun.
Old December 16, 2009, 04:36 PM   #5
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
My personal opinion? I've bought more than one or two new guns and I've also bought and sold a decent number of used guns. In all cases I do what is legally required to complete the transaction and nothing more. As an non-FFL seller if you wanted to see my CHL or DL for a sale I'd probably show it to you to demonstrate that I'm a resident of the state, but if you started trying to copy information from it I would stop you. At that point it would be your prerogative to stop the transaction if you wanted. It's not that I have anything to hide, it's just that I don't give out personal information unless I have to.
And that is exactly the way I feel, too. A couple more things to consider about going through the FFL in Washington State.

1. Who is going to pay the transfer fee? I, as the buyer meeting you face to face certainly am NOT going to pay that fee. I doubt if any face to face buyer would, so you are going to have to absorb that $20-50 fee.

2. If the buyer does not have a Washington CPL, there will be a 5 business waiting period for the FFL transaction. The buyer will have to make two trips to the FFL and possibly you too, if the FFL does not hold the gun themselves for that 5 days.

If I wanted to do an FFL transaction, I would simply buy the gun from the FFL myself. I will sign your receipt for your gun and I would appreciate you signing a receipt for my money. I will show you my Washington State ID Card. If you are up front and state that you will only sell to CPL holders, I won't do business with you. I feel it is an infringement on the 2nd Ammendment to have to pay the state for a piece of paper to buy a gun from you.