The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

View Poll Results: Should We Have A Time Out Room
Yes, Have a Time out 3 25.00%
No,No time out and close the thread 9 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 24, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
djohn

A Time Out Room

This is just a thought so please forgive if it sounds stupid or a waist of TFL bandwidth but here it goes.I was thinking after cloud8 brought a good idea of his thread of everyone should do some locked thread surfing,That rather then locking and closing a thread with valuable information and the like,that when a thread spirals out of control and then locked and closed but rather a time out instead.Example we would be locked out for lets say 24 hrs give or take and then resume the topic at hand as long as it gets back on track stays that way and with no further warning from that point it would get locked closed if it continued to go south.
Old June 24, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Aside from the next to incomprehensible gobbledygook that passes for paragraph formatting and topic cohesion of your post, I also decided that puppies should be banned from TFL.Fortunately, that is not my decision to make since I am not a moderator here and neither are you so I think this thread needs a permanent timeout since it is not up to a democratic process to resolve this "issue" that you have invented for which we are now discussing while trying to decipher walls of text.I'm going to now continue to type just a little bit more to reiterate my point and make my wall of text truly impenetrable to human comprehension.
Old June 24, 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
djohn

I also believe that they should ban crabby old farts as well but fortunately thats not within my power.So beside you trying to belittle or insult my feelings you surely failed and must be very proud of your self.Thanks for your feedback anyways.
Old June 24, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
stargazer65

What's the harm in him asking azredhawk? After all, this is the suggestion forum.

You meanie.

I think the mods version of a timeout is when they pop in and give warnings to stay on track and obey the rules. Lockdowns usually only happen after repeated or flagrant violations.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

djohn - to answer your original question - it's not possible to create a timeout for a thread, at least not with the current tools available. To make the idea workable it would have to be automated or the moderators would have to keep good notes on which threads are closed due to a timeout and which ones are permanently closed. They would have to come back and manually re-open the threads. That's not workable.
Closed Thread