The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2006, 12:41 AM   #1
Dondor

Loading .44mag LSWC loads in a .44spc case

Ok, second question from me, and it might sound dumb, but it is a curiosity thing I am wondering about.

Is it possible, or safe, to exchange the low powered lead loadings of the .44mag and use it in a .44spc case.

I would assume (Ass U Me) for this to be even remotely possible I would have to decrease the charge of powder used by .1 to .2 grain going from the .44mag load putting it in the .44spc case.

Typical velocities for the aforementioned .44mag loads were ~850fps with a 240gr LSWC bullet.

I figure anything is possible after I just read the thread on someone milling his own Nylon bullets that weighed 30grains for a .44mag.

Thanks for the information
Old March 9, 2006, 02:14 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Rule of thumb: DO NOT DO IT.

Quote:
Is it possible, or safe, to exchange the low powered lead loadings of the .44mag and use it in a .44spc case.
Possible? Yes, sure. Safe? NO. Usually not.

This question arises fairly often concerning .357 loads in .38 Special cases. Same answer. In that .38 Spl cases are FAR more common than .357 cases, there is possibly some justification for wanting to do it.

Conversely, though, there are probably a lot more .44 Magnum cases in circulation than .44 Spl cases. I KNOW this was the case ten or 15 years back. Can't say for certain today. In any case, economy is not an excuse for engaging in this dangerous practice.

There are probably some few instances, depending on the bullet and powder, where top end .44 Spl loads overlap the low end magnum loads.

I notice in your other thread, you mentioned using a Redhawk revolver. If this is your only .44 revolver, then, clearly, you could get away with shooting some spectacularly hot loads packed into .44 Spl brass. I won't even repeat the common loads that Elmer Keith used to shoot in HIS .44 Special revolvers, back in the day. And, amazingly, he got away with it for years.

I quit loading magnum charges of 2400 in .38 Spl cases a long time ago. Yeah, they were perfectly safe in MY S&W and Colt magnums, and in some heavy frame .38 Specials. I stopped because of visions of someone getting one of my blue pills into an Airweight J-frame Smith or a Colt Cobra. So you load a 240 LSWC up to reach over 1000 fps in your Redhawk. Would you want to shoot that load in a Charter Bulldog, just because it would chamber?

Dondor, you're presumably a grown person, and I wouldn't FORBID your taking this course, even if I could. I can only discourage it. Please, let me suggest you buy a modest stock of magnum cases and use some of the abundant loading data available for them. Stretch the envelope a bit if you feel the need. Keep careful records and you may happen on something valuable. One more point: Even if you do work up a good hot load in Special brass, most other shooters won't use your loads, or your data.

Good luck to you.
Johnny
Old March 9, 2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Master Blaster

Buy a good reloading manual or look for data on the powder manufacturers website.
Old March 9, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

The needed reduction would be a lot more than tenths of a grain. Pressure goes WAY when you shorten a straight wall case, either physically or by deeper seating. The notorious Keith loads have 4.5 grain difference between Special and Magnum. There may well be some light loads listed for the .44 Magnum that would be safe heavy loads in the .44 Special, but you sure can't generalize.
Old March 11, 2006, 12:29 AM   #5
shooter429

Who wants to see a kboom?

I would not advise that you just mix n match components. You might get away with boosting the .44 Spl in a Magnum handgun because the mag is made to withstand higher pressures but why would you do that? Just use Magnum cases and loading data.

If you have a .44 Special chambering, you do not want to run Magnum charges in it, even at the sedate velocities of the lead rounds. I would advise against "working down" from a magnum load. Like buying a car, you want to work up from the lowest possible "price" or charge, using the components specified in the manual.

Personally, I love the .44 Special. I like pushing lead bullets veeerrry slowly to avoid leading though. It also makes the Special nice to shoot. Remember, Elmer pushed the envelope before the .44 Rem. Magnum was invented. There is no reason to do it today.

Shooter429
Old March 11, 2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Rimrod

It's possible to get the velocity/wt. you mentioned with .44 spl data why venture into unknown waters without a lifeguard if you don't need to?

And as far as experimentation like the examle you listed, wait until you no longer have to ask questions like the ones you are.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old March 11, 2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Dondor

I don't plan on shooting .44mag pressures in a .44spc case.

With the new question I posted, I have some extra .44spc cases around and some old lead bullets. I don't have any current load data I would use for a .44spc and 240g JHP that would be acceptable. I don't like sub 1000fps with the copper bullets.

The question was more along the lines of the low pressure LSWC. I have found some overlapping data for the LSWC in .44spc / .44mag. Again, I have no plans on trying to repeat Mr. Keith's attempts at .44spc loadings. He is braver than I am.

This question was more of "I wonder" type. Sort of like that question I used to ask as a kid. "I wonder what would happen if I dropped this Cherry Bomb down the toilet?" Never did it, but always wondered if the toilet would indeed blow up.

Once again, thank you for all the information you guys provide.