The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2001, 03:06 PM   #1
Ed Dixon

Rash buy?

I got an RCBS Rockchucker Master Kit in the mail a few weeks ago. I haven't started using it yet, but have been picking up some other accessories and working through the NRA guide to reloading (already read ABC's of Reloading). I'll start with 45-70 cartridges for a rolling block repro. So far I've only shot 405-grain jacketed bullets and have about 140 cases saved. As a first set of dies I ordered the "cowboy" RCBS ones which mention that they also crimp. My question: are such crimping dies only really right for cast unjacketed bullets? Can they be used with some of the jacketed bullets I've already bought or should I get a non-crimping set for these and save the "cowboys" for the undressed lead which I'd also like to try out? Expect to pick up a Ruger Vacquero in 45LC soon, so this would likely apply there too.
Old October 27, 2001, 06:38 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

CAN YOU USE CARBIDE?

For crimping jacketed (and other) bullets highly recommend REDDING Profile Crimp die (available in both 45-70 and 45 Colt).
Old October 27, 2001, 09:20 PM   #3
sricciardelli

If you are shooting your .45-70 out of a single-shot, no crimp required. Otherwise a roll crimp is required.

Your .45 Colt should always be crimped.
Old October 28, 2001, 08:33 AM   #4
Doctari

Yes you can crimp lead or jacketed with that die. The jacketed bullets should have a crimping cannelure to crimp into.

Mike
Old October 28, 2001, 11:03 AM   #5
KP95DAO

As was stated you do not need to crimp if used in a single shot.

I do reccomend that you, as a seperate step, remove the belling of your case. This will prevent off center placement of the round in the chamber due to the belling.