The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
rockhead

Winchester 60A- Odd one here..

Gents,

I recently inherited an interesting piece. My Father passed away and left he his Father's "Snake Gun".
Grandpa used to go down from Indiana to Flordia and fish Lake Okeechobee each fall and this rifle was part of his standard kit. I guess he could handle the gators, but the Cotton Mouths were too much.

It's a Winchester 60A, but I can't find a serial number or anything else to identify it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by rockhead; June 17, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
model18

Win 60a

I think this was cut down at some point. I have an original rifle, and that def. looks like the stock?? Just my 2 cents. I may be wrong. FYI mine had no ser. # either. It was made in the 30's and some of the guns from back then lacked ser. #'s
Old June 16, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
SIGSHR

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until GCA '68, Winchester put serial numbers on some-my Models 74 and 77, and not on others-my Model 69, e.g. Yours is definitely modified.