The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
KChen986

930SPX v. 590A1 Help me with my next Purchase

Hey All,

Sold an old 590A1 that I owned (ghost ring sights, side saddle, etc.). Reason being that I bought it used and it was very worn. I've been looking for a replacement since. I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical, and I want something a little more versatile.

In a general purpose shotgun, which one would you pick? I consider the 590A1 to be dead nuts reliable and a good beater shotgun that would come in handy without much maintenance. On the other hand, the 930SPX is in the same price range and holds just as many rounds if you ghost-load the shotgun. In addition, the 930SPX is semi auto--only major draw back is that I hear it has to be cleaned every 300 rounds or it will start to malfunction (not that I ever plan on shooting that much in 1 session, it's just over cumulative sessions I'd like something that can go bang without much maintenance).

I will be setting up the shotgun with just a tactical type 2-point sling and a weapon-light. The shottie may pull trunk, bedside, or clay-breaking duty. Which one would you pick?
Old September 6, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Carne Frio

I have a 500, a 590 and a fairly new 930 SPX. My 500 is my current
home self defense gun. After a few hundred more trouble free rounds
the 930 SPX will be the one for my home. It is just that much more
easy to shoot. As for a beater or trunk gun, I would prefer a rifle.
Old September 7, 2011, 01:13 AM   #3
drew332

I think it depends on your intended primary usage of the shotgun.

I own a 14" Mossberg 590A1 SBS with factory ghost ring sights with a tritium front insert, a Hogue youth stock, a SureFire 621FA Weaponlight, and a 3GunGear 7 round nylon/velcro side saddle. She's a nasty beast and will eat any ammo she's fed! This weapon is my work gun and primary HD weapon, mainly due to its extreme reliability.

I've been a LEO for 15 years and previously served nearly 10 years in the US Army (military intelligence and special operations). I have a fair amount of experience with shotguns. I think that the 590A1 is an extremely reliable work horse. My agency has 14" 590A1s mounted in every patrol car.

That being said I am also looking to buy a 930SPX in the near future for use primarily in local 3-gun/multi-gun/action shooting competitions.

A semi-auto shotgun is obviously much faster at putting rounds on target, but I believe a pump is generally more reliable and less finicky with ammo selection. With enough proper training, a pump can also be run quite fast.

Last edited by drew332; September 7, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
jmortimer

930 will have less recoil and will shoot faster and is bet your life reliable. I had a 590 A1 and it is a really good choice but for the $$$ the is no better deal than a 930 and it is, again, as reliable as a semi-auto shotgun gets.
Old September 7, 2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Mudinyeri

Like Carne Frio, I have a 500, 590(A1) and a 930 SPX.

The 500 and 590A1 have been nothing but reliable. I had some troubles with the 930 SPX but it went back to Mossberg and came home perfect.

Between the three, I probably shoot the 930 the most. It's a fun gun to shoot. Just this past weekend, I took it out and shot about 150 rounds of birdshot through it on the trap range. Caution: It's easy to run through 150 rounds of ammo with this gun!

I like to reload my defensive shotguns without disrupting my sight picture. The 590A1 with the 20" barrel is more front-heavy than the 930 SPX and more difficult to reload in this manner.

Other than that, if you like to pump, get the 590A1. If you want to go semi-auto, get the 930 SPX.

Make sure to check for the canted front sight if you get a 930.