The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 23, 2011, 06:17 AM   #1
MLeake

Which trigger for a Remington 700?

Jewell or Timney?

Which would you install, and why?

My .30-06 could use a nicer trigger.
Old July 23, 2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Howard31

Trigger

I had a Trigger Job done on the Remington trigger. It is most excellent. It was less expensive than replacing the trigger with a Jewell or Timney.
Old July 23, 2011, 07:43 AM   #3
homesick

I have several Remingtons they either have trigger jobs or the trigger has been replaced. I am not sure why but the ones I had the gunsmith adjust aren't the same (different break points) I would think they would adjust the same way but it does not appear that way. I had a couple Jewells in the past they are very good and the ones I have with Timneys now are good. I guess it's price point IMO both after market triggers are better then factory. The Jewell is gona cost you more. I am not going to go out and replace the Timneys with Jewells however I am going to put a trigger in my 223 VLS and am considering a Jewell.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
old roper

Shilen makes a nice trigger for the Remingtons
http://www.shilen.com/productsTriggers.html

I've never used a Timmey but I like the Jewells,Shilen and my gunsmith does a nice job on a trigger. If you can find an old style Rem 40x trigger not the 2oz one there pretty nice they run around $100 or so.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:18 AM   #5
223 shooter

Quote:
Which would you install, and why?
A couple of 700s I have for range use have Jewell triggers installed. The reason is the adjustability all the way down to a true benchrest pull in both weight and crispness. A great trigger does wonders for shooting consistent tight groups. Mine are set at around 3 oz.

For a rifle carried into the field I would probably buy the less expensive triggers. One does not need a Jewell for a 2.5lb pull.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:44 AM   #6
jmr40

A factory Remington trigger adjusted properly by someone who knows what they are doing is pretty darn good. I'd save my money.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
PawPaw

Kenny Jarrett, the custom rifle maker, uses Jewell triggers on his rifles. With Kenny's clientele, he could use anything that he wants, and he uses Jewell. His rifles used to be made from Remington 700 actions, Schneider barrels, McMillan stocks and Jewell triggers. Nowadays he makes his own action and barrel, but he still uses Jewell triggers.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 23, 2011, 09:59 AM   #8
GURU1911

I totally agree with "jmr40". The original "walker fire control trigger" on my 1953 model 721 .30-06 & my 1974 model 700 .243 winchester are excellent. Remove the trigger mechanism, detail strip, & ultra-sonic clean. Reassemble, lube, & adjust. A 2 pound pull with no creep & no over-travel is easy to obtain and is very safe.

However, replacement triggers made by shilen, timney, basix, & jewell are all excellent choices, although the jewell is really $$$$$$.

Advice regarding rifle brands, triggers, stocks, barrels, scopes, bases, rings, cartridge selection, factory ammo, powders, bullets, cases, & primers are virtually unlimited. We all have our opinions & personal experiences about what has & has not worked. However, we must always respect each other's opinion & right to choose.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old July 23, 2011, 10:12 AM   #9
geetarman

What Howard said.

I have factory triggers in the two Remingtons I own. The older one has never been touched. When I had the gun re-barreled, the smith said to leave the trigger alone.

I have a newer 700 and the trigger was stiff but not gritty. I did have a trigger job done on that gun that improved it a lot.

Both rifles have the factory trigger.

Geetarman
Old July 23, 2011, 10:44 AM   #10
warbirdlover

I've got a new Remington with the XMark Pro trigger. It's sweet. Breaks like glass (their words) and at 3-1/2 lbs. is ideal for a hunting rifle.

I've put Timney triggers on other rifles I've had and always was very pleased. Crisp, no travel triggers that are smooth as silk.

I have no experience with Jewell or others...
Old July 23, 2011, 03:47 PM   #11
hooligan1

I put a Timney on my Vanguard, and I'm very pleased. 2.5 lbs and breaks like glass EVERY time! 120.00 dollars delivered to my home! But those other fellas that claim a "smith" can make a Reminton trigger sweet are exactly right also,, so better you than me to make that determination.
Old July 23, 2011, 10:14 PM   #12
.300 Weatherby Mag

Remington customer service retrofitted my problem ridden 700 with the X-Mark trigger... The pull and feel of the replacement was so pathetic that I needed to get a trigger job done on new trigger.. Its still not a good as a Timney or the older triggers on my other 700s...

Timneys are nice... Jewell is the way to go if you are going for a target gun...
Old July 24, 2011, 01:11 AM   #13
tobnpr

If you don't mind the $$ for the Shilen, go for it.
But I think Timneys are adequate for most shooters, including my family. Every rifle wears one unless its a Savage AccuTrigger.
Old July 25, 2011, 06:23 AM   #14
MLeake

Thanks for the inputs. I'm considering attempting to tune the factory trigger myself, for the experience as much as anything. If that doesn't go well, sounds like the Timney should do, as it's a field rifle, not a match rifle.

Regards,

M
Old July 26, 2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Flakbait

Timney makes great drop in triggers for a little over $100. All you need need is the right punches and a hammer. Even a total noob like me can do it in less than 20 minutes. That's probably the same cost of a good gunsmith job. I think the newer Remington triggers X-Mark are not easily tunable. I highly recommend them for a field/hunting rifle.
Old July 26, 2011, 11:09 AM   #16
precision_shooter

Quote:
Kenny Jarrett, the custom rifle maker, uses Jewell triggers on his rifles. With Kenny's clientele, he could use anything that he wants, and he uses Jewell. His rifles used to be made from Remington 700 actions, Schneider barrels, McMillan stocks and Jewell triggers. Nowadays he makes his own action and barrel, but he still uses Jewell triggers.
IME, this doesn't mean much. Custom Rifle Makers use what THEY like and probably get a break on pricing or kickbacks of some sort...

The best advice will be from "regular" people who have used different products and have their own reviews of said product without having to worry about offending the MFG...

I personally haven't ever used an aftermarket trigger, but have heard good things about Jewel and Timney both...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 27, 2011, 01:42 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

40 years ago when I was building them, I used Timmney triggers on Mauser sporters. Great triggers, even though there were expensive (then cost $40!).

Never needed any replacement trigger on a Remington bolt gun, in that era they were pretty good.

Today? can't say from personal experience, but if a replacement was needed, I'd trust Timmney.