The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
TGDKY

Time to start reloading-where to start...

I have a nice area setup- and I'm ready to take on reloading. I shoot seldom but I want custom loads. What's the best route to go? I would like to start with the basics. Press, scale, etc... Thank you all!!!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old June 15, 2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, TGDKY. Glad to hear your taking the plunge! Need a bit more info though..what cal.? rifles, pistol,revolver, or shotgun?
Old June 15, 2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Woodencardboard

I started by reading the ABC's of reloading cover to cover. Then decide what caliber you want to reload. Then buy one of the many beginners kits such as the rcbs master reloader kit. You'll find you want and need other things (tumbler, trimmer, etc) IMO that's a good place to start. It's a wonderful hobby I like reloading almost as much as I like shooting. Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us.
Old June 16, 2011, 05:37 AM   #4
TGDKY

I will be loading for rifles, mainly. My first challenge will be 3006 cases- expanded to accept a .312 bullet. Thanks for all your help!!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old June 16, 2011, 06:53 AM   #5
TGDKY

LEE 50Th Anniversary Breech Lock Reloading Kit 90050- how does everyone feel about this? I think its a great deal for a beginner

Old June 16, 2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Cruz5350

I just picked up the RCBS Rock Chucker kit and I couldn't be more pleased with it.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:37 AM   #7
capreppy

"LEE 50Th Anniversary Breech Lock Reloading Kit 90050- how does everyone feel about this? I think its a great deal for a beginner"

I bought this kit from Cabela's for $89.00 to supplement my Hornady LnL AP.

This is a very good kit for someone just getting started.

My only complaint is the spent primer catcher can be hit and miss. FOR ME, it is more miss than hit. Others are able to make it work, but it has been a challenge for me. The Lee press is primarly used for decapping brass that I don't have a Hornady AP Shellplate for. It is also used for sizing and bullet seating for my hunting loads.

Otherwise I like the press. The kit comes with the basics. Eventually you will replace the scale and probably the powder measure. I've not used the powder measure as I individually weigh all of my hunting rifle loads. Plus the powders I use for my hunting rifle won't measure for crap. All of my other loads are done on the Hornady.

The scale, although a little challenging to use initially, is VERY accurate. Again, when you have some additional funds, I would upgrade it. The Dillon Eliminator is a very good scale (copy of the RCBS 5-0-5 scale, but $40 to $50 cheaper).
Old June 16, 2011, 08:07 AM   #8
serf 'rett

+1 on The ABCs of Reloading.

IMO, the starting place for reloading is not a reloading kit or cartridge components, but it's education. You can get a good simple overview from the sticky post at the upper part of this reloading page. You will need reloading manuals. If you study The ABCs of Reloading, the sticky and at least one manual, you will gain a better understanding of reloading equipment, material and processes.

Are you only going to reload for a single rifle? A single stage press is likely the best choice for low volume; however, if you will be reloading to feed a brace of pistols, then you may want to consider a turret or progressive. You haven't given us much information, so it's difficult to point you a direction which helps you not to waste dollars on unneeded items.

I think, the question of where to start is best answered by saying do your homework. Read about and study the process then, once you have a basic grasp of reloading, it would be great if you could find someone near you who reloads and ask them questions. If you’re one of those people who don’t read or need directions, then I strongly advise you not to reload. Reloading is a very precise process and a lack of attention can result in weapon destruction, injury or death. It is not for everyone. But if you do your homework, you will have a better idea of what you will need for what you intend and will find that reloading can be very enjoyable.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:19 AM   #9
serf 'rett

+1 on the RCBS Rock Chucker kit.

I've been very pleased with this kit. High quality press, scale, powder measure, hand primer.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Sevens

Don't do the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit.

It's not a horrible press, but it's absolutely at the far, low end of all single stage presses. It's not nearly as durable as many other options. If all you wanted to do was .38 Special, it would work fairly well.

Get in to bottle neck rifle rounds that require a lot more force on resizing and now you will need strength. You need strength for long-term durability and you will need strength to resist frame flex.

Look at the Lee Classic Cast or better yet, the Lee Classic Turret press. For the money they cost, these two presses are the steals in the industry. The Classic Cast is every bit as good as the Rock Chucker and it's more versatile, and costs less. Made in the USA.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:34 AM   #11
jmortimer

I would get Lyman's 49th and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee and start building your set-up around a Lee Precision Classic Turret. Midway USA used to sell ABCs of reloading and it was lower rated than either Modern Reloading - most popular- and Lyman's 49th. I use powder manufacturers sites for load data.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:37 AM   #12
AllenJ

+2 on The ABC's of Reloading

+2 on RCBS Rock Chucker kit

Read all you can on reloading. Most reloading manuals have good sections on the basics but the ABCs of Reloading gets in depth and has great information.

I have owned my Rock Chucker kit for over 30 years now and every piece of it is still going strong.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:24 AM   #13
TGDKY

I found a single stage herters press that takes standard 7/8" dies. I can get it for a steal. Its older but appears to be built like a tank.

Old June 16, 2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Edward429451

That Herters press should be fine. If not then don't take any chances and just get the RCBS Rockchucker and be done with it.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Twinsig

+1 on Lee Anniv kit to get started
Old June 16, 2011, 12:23 PM   #16
Don H

Have you read the stickie at the top of this forum? http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171
Old June 16, 2011, 12:52 PM   #17
mikld

In the late 70s I did a lot of reading and then bought a Lee Loader in 38 Special. I learned a lot using that tool, but I'm not suggesting one as a starter; too slow for many (I still use one occationally, when I feel "retro"). Any single stage press by any of the standard manufacturers will do fine (Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc.). Don't forget to look at used equipment, I saw a Pacific press on ebay yesterday for less than $25.00. I personally don't like "kits" as I prefer to research and purchase each piece of equipment as I need it (my bench is two shades of red, green, orange, and black) and there are a lot of tools available to use when reloading that aren't dedicated reloading tools. But first; ABCs of Reloading, Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. Buy 'em, read 'em and you will have an idea of what equipment suits your reloading needs.
Old June 16, 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
Ideal Tool

Hello, TGDKY. You mentioned reloading for .30-06 & neck expanding to .312.
Why this dimension? Are you planning on shooting cast bullets? or is bore oversize..that sounds kind of large for an 06'. Now if we were talking about the old .30 US..AKA .30-40 Krag..those tubes varied quite a bit..mine is .310".
just curious. Thanks.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:15 PM   #19
William T. Watts

I agree with Cruz5350 a rockchucker kit is a good press to start with, it will last a lifetime if you keep it cleaned and oiled. The ABC'S of reloading is another good product, buy quality dies like RCBS, Hornady, Lyman etc, I'm using most of my original dies and the RCBS 505 scale I purchased 30 or more years ago! William
Old June 16, 2011, 07:58 PM   #20
TGDKY

Ideal tool- I'm reloading for an ariska 99 converted to 3006- 7.7mm originally- so ill try a .312 in a 3006 case.

Old June 16, 2011, 08:14 PM   #21
William T. Watts

A custom set of dies for your rifle may be in order, otherwise you may have a problem with your necks cracking because of reducing and over expanding the neck of a 30/06 case for a .312 bullet. Standard 30/06 dies aren't going to do what you want, you may have to neck size only. With little to no experience I hope you can find someone to give a little hands on help. It would be be better to start out with a standard caliber before you jump off into a project like your talking about. William
Old June 17, 2011, 06:06 PM   #22
Clifford L. Hughes

Tgdky:

Don't buy a Herter's press, modern shell holders won't fit it without an adapter. I beg of you not to skimp when you purchase a press. Any of the major brands are fine, Hornady and RCBS, among others, are first class equipment. My preference is the RCBS starter kit. About 1964 I was using a Pacific Delux Pro O that consatntly seated the primers up side down. Consequently, I purchased a RCBS Rock Chucker and I've been using it ever since.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old June 18, 2011, 09:33 AM   #23
TGDKY

Ok I definately won't go with a herters press. How does everyone feel about a lyman m5 scale?

Old June 18, 2011, 10:47 AM   #24
buck460XVR

The Rockchukker kit has everything you need to start reloading other than dies, components and a caliper. The tools within it are all quality and most reloaders will never need a better scale, powder measure or press. For loading bottle neck rifle cases you will also need a trimmer.
Old June 18, 2011, 01:02 PM   #25
Shootest

Quote:
Ok I definately won't go with a herters press. How does everyone feel about a lyman m5 scale?
The Dillon balance beam scale cost about the same but is far more reliable than the Lyman. It is every bit as good as and cost less than the RCBS.