The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2007, 02:45 AM   #1
Dannyboy303

magnum primers in non magnum

Ive ran out of large rifle primers and im wanting to reload the 303 to shoot some pigs.. love the enfields 10rounds. Im wondering can i remedy this by using large magnum primers or will that affect pressure too much and make it unsafe?
Old May 21, 2007, 09:24 AM   #2
steve4102

Any time you change a component you should "Start Low and Work Up". Mag primers can be used in a non-magnum cartridge. Mag primers work best with big cases and or ball powders. If you have a good load using LR primers and you switch to LR Mag primers you need to start low and work back up looking for signs of pressure along the way. The mag primers may affect accuracy as well as pressure.
Old May 21, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Dannyboy303

Thanks Steve i will do. I wouldnt have asked about this but i know mag primers can just about push a bullet out the end of the barrel so i thought it wasnt something to be taken lightly. thanks
Old May 21, 2007, 09:56 PM   #4
elkman06

Everything I have been told about Mag primers is that they effectively add one grain of powder to a load. Truth, I don't know. Wise to be careful I think. I use them in non mag rounds but with slower burning powders.
elkman
Old May 21, 2007, 10:04 PM   #5
PeteQuad

Actually, I think it would be cool if primers were just able to push a bullet out the end of the barrel. Then you would never have to worry about having an empty cartridge. Of course, then primers would be more dangerous to handle.
Old May 22, 2007, 12:50 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...mag primers can just about push a bullet out..." So can a regular primer. Either can and will push a bullet into the barrel with no fuss. The fuss comes if you then fire another round. The barrel will be bulged as a minium.
Magnum primers burn a bit hotter for a bit longer. They're made to ignite hard to light powders. Like steve4102 says, if you change one component, you need to work up the load again.
Go here. Lots of great info. Don't even think PayPal though. Steve is also selling .313" and .314" 200 grain jacketed bullets for Enfields with larger bores. A .303 barrel can measure(slug the bore) between .311" and .315" and still be considered ok. Larger than .315" and the barrel is shot out. http://www.303british.com/
Old May 22, 2007, 11:49 AM   #7
PeteQuad

There's a big difference between pushing a bullet into the barrel and pushing a bullet out of the barrel.