The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 25, 2013, 08:25 PM   #26
TMD

Dang not only does my Glocks not have a manual safety, neither does my Sig P245 or my Ruger LCP. Hummm I must me tempting fate.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #27
Bulldawg55

I holster carry my G20(OWB) and G32(IWB), but I put a Cominolli Saftey on my G33 because I sometimes carry it with a belt clip.

Old March 26, 2013, 09:15 PM   #28

After just getting an SR9 yesterday, I'd say save yourself some money, sell the Glock and buy the SR9. The tiggers are very similar except that it's shorter and crisper on the SR9. The manual safety is positive and sure. It's easy to use and it audibly clicks when moved from one position to the other.. It's also a good bit trimmer than a Glock, and trimmer than the XDm which I'm a big fan of. Anyone looking fro a polymer frame pistol, with or without using the manual safety, would do well to consider the SR series.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:37 PM   #29
rodfac

My opinion..and I own two Glocks...a safety on a Glock is a fix to a non-existent problem. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:55 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Adding a manual thumb safety to Glocks

57k. You're a one in a million. Really. lol..enjoy your ruger.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:08 AM   #31

Thank you, Constantine!

BTW, my shooting partner carried the G19 for years and completely agrees with my assessment. Now he carries the XDm 3.8 Compact, but prefers the feel and function of my SR9 over the G19.

Since the OP feels a need for a manual safety on his pistol, adding one to the Glock just doesn't seem practical or cost effective to me. And, rather than tell him it's an issue that really doesn't exist while he obviously feels the need, the 2 most logical ways to go, IMO, would be to sell the Glock and get an M&P with a manual safety, or get the pistol that is the most concealable anyway and comes with a manual safety, that being the SR9.
Old November 15, 2019, 04:39 PM   #32
Pistoler0

For years I have owned a G21 with thumb safety

I own a Glock 21 which is my one and only do-it-all pistol (spouse mandated limit).

I installed a Cominolli safety on the pistol years ago, and fired 1000s of rounds since without a hiccup. Glock still honors the warranty on a pistol with a Cominolli safety on it. I also intalled "the gadget" as a substitute for the back plate. Keeping one's thumb on "the gadget" while holstering is very much like pressing down on the hammer of a DA pistol with the thumb, in that the down pressure will prevent the trigger from being depressed.

Here is AIWB reholstering process:

a) bending backwards, hip thrust forwards, right leg back and a holster that does not deform (Garrett Silent Thunder) = no self muzzling.
b) Cominolli safety on and/or thumb pressing on "the gadget" = no negligent discharge (even if trigger is being actuated somehow)
a) + b) = no Glock leg

Negligent discharge + a) = no Glock leg
Self muzzling + b) = no Glock leg

Probability of Glock leg =
Chance of: depressing the trigger + also not doing a) + also not doing b) = 0.00000000001 %
The only way it could be lower is with no round in the chamber.

Also chance of: needing to fire a shot + not disengaging thumb safety = chance of doing so with a 1911 = (almost) chance of forgetting to depress the trigger itself.

I know many will not agree with this, but the set-up works flawlessly and I could not find another pistol that off the shelf would offer these characteristics.
EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness comes close, but does not allow for the versatility of using short mags for concealment and longer mags for more ammo capacity like the Glock does.

The pistol is still Glock reliable!

Last edited by Pistoler0; November 15, 2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:12 PM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

6 year old thread.