The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 13, 2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Drive-by posts

Would someone please explain to me exactly what one is.

If I start a thread and copy and paste a topic, do I need to make a comment on what I posted? If so, please elaborate.
Old April 13, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Drive-by posts are specifically defined and addressed in the forum rules. The pertinent post is here.
Old April 14, 2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Theohazard

2123, think of it this way: the drive-by rules are there so people who visit the thread aren't required to watch a video or peruse an external website to understand what the thread is about. Also, without commentary it's often hard to understand what angle the OP is taking on the subject.

A summary of the link helps people who don't have the time (or the bandwidth) to easily watch a video or read an article, and the commentary helps give an indication of the OP's reason for posting the link. I've grown to appreciate this forum's rules against drive-by posts so much that I really have trouble on other forums where they're allowed and therefore very common.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Very well stated, Theohazard.

The bottom line is that TFL is a discussion board, not a link dispersion board.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:30 PM   #5

I'm a member on several other forums, both firearms and other subjects / topics.

I guess it's just that I've never seen it as being an issue. Anyways, I know have a better idea as to what is going on.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:40 PM   #6
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2123
I'm a member on several other forums, both firearms and other subjects / topics.

I guess it's just that I've never seen it as being an issue. Anyways, I know have a better idea as to what is going on.
I know what you mean. I've been on other forums that are a lot more loosey-goosey on what's allowed. While it can be a little more fun, I think the discussions here are of better quality.

A link to a video or a new article can prompt discussion in 5 different diections based on how someone reads it. By having the OP get this discussion started, it helps get the discussion going. It makes it a little more work, but I personally believe it makes the forum better.
Old April 15, 2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR
A link to a video or a new article can prompt discussion in 5 different diections based on how someone reads it. By having the OP get this discussion started, it helps get the discussion going. It makes it a little more work, but I personally believe it makes the forum better.
I agree.

Here's a useful way to think about this: if a poster isn't willing to do the minimal work of saying something about the content of a link and what makes it worth discussing, it's probably not worth posting it in the first place.