The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 11, 2019, 11:59 AM   #76
tipoc

Sometimes satire is the only appropriate response.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old December 11, 2019, 03:33 PM   #77
Webleymkv

As to the issue of magazines, sure in a perfect world everyone would have spare mags but we don't live in a perfect world. I seem to remember a few years back a good deal of griping that at least for a short while during one of the Obama-era panic buys that one of the better-reputed handgun makers (I think Sig, but I wouldn't swear to it) was shipping pistols with only one magazine due to the demand for extra mags at the time.

Also, as 44 AMP pointed out, not everyone buys guns new and, in my experience, used guns will come with only one magazine as often as not (usually the guns that do come with spares are the ones that still have their original box and papers with them). Because of this, I can only come to the conclusion that like accessories such as boxes, instruction manuals, cable locks, mag loading tools, etc., any "part" which must be periodically removed from the gun to be used is more likely to get lost or damaged. A lost or damaged speed loader or speed strip is also quite inexpensive to replace. Midwayusa lists HKS speedloaders at about $10 with Safariland Comp I or II's running about a $1 more and speed strips run $7-8 for a two-pack depending on the brand (Bianchi, Desantis, or Tuff Products). The cheapest magazines available for any of my semi-autos that I would personally trust are Mec-Gar's for my CZ-75B, and they run $22.99 each at Midway.

Finally, there seems to be an assumption that everyone who carries a semi-auto bothers to carry a spare mag. I've heard numerous people over the years explain that they carry a semi-auto with xx-capacity so that they don't need to carry a spare mag because "xx-rounds should be more that enough" (personally I think malfunction remediation is the more important reason for a spare mag, but that's just me).

Likewise, the most popular carry guns seem to be those that are very small and thus easy and comfortable to carry. If someone isn't willing to put up with the inconvenience of carrying a larger and likely more capable gun, then I can't help but think that there's at least some likelihood that they won't put up with the inconvenience of carrying a spare mag. A speed-strip full of .38 Special ammo is simply easier and more convenient to carry than a spare mag for even a relatively small gun like my S&W Shield. It seems to me that the faster reload of a semi-auto doesn't make much difference if someone doesn't bother to carry a reload in the first place.

Last edited by Webleymkv; December 11, 2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old December 11, 2019, 04:06 PM   #78
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv View Post
Finally, there seems to be an assumption that everyone who carries a semi-auto bothers to carry a spare mag. I've heard numerous people over the years explain that they carry a semi-auto with xx-capacity so that they don't need to carry a spare mag because "xx-rounds should be more that enough" (personally I think malfunction remediation is the more important reason for a spare mag, but that's just me).

Likewise, the most popular carry guns seem to be those that are very small and thus easy and comfortable to carry. If someone isn't willing to put up with the inconvenience of carrying a larger and likely more capable gun, then I can't help but think that there's at least some likelihood that they won't put up with the inconvenience of carrying a spare mag. A speed-strip full of .38 Special ammo is simply easier and more convenient to carry than a spare mag for even a relatively small gun like my S&W Shield. It seems to me that the faster reload of a semi-auto doesn't make much difference if someone doesn't bother to carry a reload in the first place.
I think with any of them, youre going to see those who have a better understanding of the dynamics of things and prepare for that, and you have those who just grab whatever, and go on their merry way, happy in their ignorance, and dont give things much thought beyond that. They have a gun, and consider themselves "prepared".

I wouldnt carry a revolver without a reload, any more than I would carry an auto without one.

And then theres the whole "inconvenience" thing. Gun or reload.

I think youre either serious about things or youre not. There really doesnt seem to be an in-between. From what Ive seen with people I know, and from what many here and some of the other places I go around the web say, I think many to most arent really all that serious and committed, and for many, the convenience/comfort thing, seems to be the big or important thing, when it comes to making a choice.

And all that is just in choice and carrying the gun. All these people carrying these "comfortable" guns, yet how often do you ever see them practicing with them, in any kind of "realistic" manner, from how they carry them, when youre at the range or where ever you practice?
Old December 11, 2019, 05:28 PM   #79
pete2

When I carry a semi, it's with the magazine that's in the gun, same with a revolver the cylinder is full but no reload. That's me. Carry what makes you feel good. Mine is usually a 642 with all 5 chambers loaded.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:46 PM   #80
44 AMP
Staff

and, we're radically off topic yet again, so we're done. I got enough confirmation of the idiocy of the original statement so I'm satisfied and if you want to keep discussing how many reloads you need, start another thread for that.

Thanks to all who responded to the OP directly.

Closed.