The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 27, 2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Gunplummer

Browning Lever action rifle

I was just goofing around on Gunbroker and went through the BLR section. 600+ guns, most new, and about 5 bids. Most of the bids were on used guns. Do you think Browning will drop the lever gun soon? It may be an area thing, but I only remember one guy that owned one. I never worked on one.
Most of the new guns are starting around $800. That is a lot of money for the ugly duckling of lever guns.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:32 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...starting around $800..." MSRP is roughly a grand($1019.00 on their site. $1499.99 at Cabela's for the 'White Gold' BLR.) Retail prices vary from place to place ,of course.
Don't think Browning will dump the BLR as long as people keep buying 'em. Can't think of any other lever action that comes in the array of chamberings. From varmint cartridges to the silly magnum cartridges.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Gunplummer

When dealers dump on Gunbroker, they start off at a rock bottom price. There are not a half a dozen bids on over 600 guns listed. Where are these people that are buying them?
Old April 27, 2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I've seen them many times in the store but never in the woods or at the range.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Doyle

I always thought the '81 version was very attractive. Not an ugly duckling at all.
Old April 27, 2017, 03:03 PM   #6
jmr40

Those guns have never found a niche. Neither fish nor fowl.

Winston Churchill
Old April 27, 2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

I bought one about 30 years ago after high school in .308 win. Apparently I got a pretty good one (some have complained about the triggers and accuracy). Took many deer with it out to just under 200 yards. I sold it for some unknown reason, and have regretted it ever since. Especially since I bought mine for $265 (I think), and now if I want to get another one, I'm going to have to spend around $800.

I was surprised to find that Browning still carried BLRs, and that they even have expanded the line to include new calibers and even a takedown model, so I don't think they're going away any time soon.

If there's a real downside to BLRs IMO, it's that there aren't a lot of smiths that do trigger work for these guns. Other than that, I really liked my BLR for short range/brush hunting, and I'm seriously considering getting a new one.
Old April 27, 2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Deerhunt

I have a pistol grip blr in 243 that I got a year ago for $1200 with a scope,case,mounts, and a couple boxes of ammo
Old April 27, 2017, 06:35 PM   #9
dgludwig

Quote:
I always thought the '81 version was very attractive. Not an ugly duckling at all.
All in the subjective eye of the beholder. Personally, I think every BLR ever made is ugly. However, and way more importantly than one man's idea of beauty vs ugly, Browning has never made a firearm that wasn't well-made and well-finished; exhibiting the very best of material and workmanship. I like them all-except the ugliest of ducklings.
Old April 27, 2017, 06:57 PM   #10
Pahoo

Falling out ot love !!!

I have only owned one, a .22-BLR and it lasted, less than three month, in my safe. Range-time did not go well. I can't speak for the other calibers. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old April 27, 2017, 07:04 PM   #11
jackstrawIII

Glad to see this thread. I've been planning to get one in 358 win for some time now, just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyone have a BLR in 358 win and can speak to how it handles that particular cartridge?
Old April 28, 2017, 05:54 AM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
Browning has never made a firearm that wasn't well-made and well-finished
If you want to get really accurate - Browning never made a firearm at all. They have always been a "brand" - not a "manufacturer". Their firearms were always produced at various contract factories according to their specs. I think that distinction is kind of blurred now with their current owner though.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Gunplummer

I think a lot are Japanese made now. You can't beat that for quality. I just don't understand how a company can keep pumping out a rifle that hardly anyone buys. Maybe I am wrong, but Gunbroker is usually a pretty good indicator.

Last edited by Gunplummer; April 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old April 28, 2017, 01:21 PM   #14
Husqvarna

Quote:
Ugly duckling of levers?
those are fighting words!

The BLR is THE best leveraction rifle ever built

My 308 was very accurate, but the thin barrel would heat disperse after just a few shots fired, but the first two, three were great, could have been that the barrel was shot out

Easily carried, light, nimble and shoulders nicely

changed mine to a 358win with a pistolgrip but I actually care more for the straight stock

358win is good up close hunting put a hurting on the game thou
Old April 28, 2017, 03:53 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
It may be the "best", but that doesn't make it pretty. And as far as being the best lever-action rifle ever built, my vote goes to the Sako FinnWolf.
Old April 28, 2017, 04:30 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
They're fugly and I don't like the short lever throw or the way the trigger comes down with the lever.
Old April 28, 2017, 05:07 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
They're fugly and I don't like the short lever throw or the way the trigger comes down with the lever.
With your dislike for short lever throws and triggers located inside trigger guards, you must not care for the Winchester Model 88 lever-action rifle either. But at least the fine Model 88 isn't as "fugly" looking as the BLR, I think you might agree.
Old April 28, 2017, 05:33 PM   #18
Husqvarna

the finnwolf and win88 look like boltactions with a lever

if I wanted that look I would go for a savage99 but they are not very common here.
Old April 28, 2017, 07:17 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
the finnwolf and win88 look like boltactions with a lever

if I wanted that look I would go for a savage99 but they are not very common here.
Yeah, the FinnWolf and model 88 one-piece stocks do give them a sort of bolt-action "image". The Model 99, of course, has a "conventional" (in lever-action speak) two-piece stock; giving it a more traditional look. One of my favorite rifles for hunting whitetail deer in Pennsylvania and Michigan is the Savage Model 99 "Brush Gun", chambered in .358 Winchester.
Old April 28, 2017, 09:25 PM   #20
amprecon

Quote:
Quote:
Ugly duckling of levers?
those are fighting words!

My 308 was very accurate, but the thin barrel would heat disperse after just a few shots fired, but the first two, three were great, could have been that the barrel was shot out

Easily carried, light, nimble and shoulders nicely

changed mine to a 358win with a pistolgrip but I actually care more for the straight stock

358win is good up close hunting put a hurting on the game thou
BLR straight stock in .358win is gonna be my next rifle!
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old April 29, 2017, 08:44 AM   #21
EIB0879

I have a .243 BLR circa 1971 made in Belgium with a steel receiver. It really isn't that light so I don't hunt with it but my daughter loves it. It is pretty accurate, but my and my son's Marlin 336s in 30-30 are more accurate at 100 yards.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:36 AM   #22
Sure Shot Mc Gee

BLRs? Nope!! not for this fellow. It's too gawky look'in for one major dislike.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:25 AM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
With your dislike for short lever throws and triggers located inside trigger guards, you must not care for the Winchester Model 88 lever-action rifle either. But at least the fine Model 88 isn't as "fugly" looking as the BLR, I think you might agree.
Nope, I'd take the BLR over the 88 but I wouldn't waste money on either one.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:50 AM   #24
Paul B.

I havde an early Japanese BLR and a Savage 99, both in .358 Win. Both quite accurate as well Thinking of thinning the herd big time in the not too distant future and they along with a couple of Ruger tang safety M77's, also .358s will go down the road. Once I got a .35 Whelen, the .358s because safe queens.
Paul B.
Old April 29, 2017, 11:53 AM   #25
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Nope, I'd take the BLR over the 88 but I wouldn't waste money on either one.
This part of the discussion concerns looks. So you really think the Model 88 looks more "fugly" (your word) than the BLR? I guess fugly is in the eye of the beholder.