The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2017, 01:07 AM   #1
Tinbucket

Colt Delta Elite 10mm/.40 S&W/9x25mm Dillon/.38 Super

I have a 10mm Delta Elite and have decided to fit it with a 9x25mm Dillon barrel.
Also a .40 That would give me throe round using one slide and frame and same magazine.
I have seen mention of also fitting a .38 Super barrel.
The 9x25mm is sometimes a rechambered .38 Super.
I'm no sure if twist rates would be ideal and not sure the .38 Super would work in the 10mm magazine.
i would also like, I think a one inch longer barrel threaded with cap.
Don't know if I would ever use a suppressor but a compensator might be in order on the 9x25. I understand muzzle flash is tremendous and report very very loud. who would be good for the barrel and fitting and ball park on cost of the 9x25mm?
The .40 would simply require mating the lugs wouldn't it and who for that barrel.
And the .38 Super will it work with the 10mm mag or would a .38 Super mag work in the 10mm frame and slide?
Old April 14, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2
RickB

Find the gunsmith locally who services the IPSC/USPSA competitors.
If he's old enough, he may already have some experience with 9x25; I've only ever seen one guy shooting it, and that was twenty years ago.

Most pistol manufacturers that offer both .40/10 and .38 Super are using the slightly larger .40 breechface for all, so it should just be a barrel swap.
I have never tried to load/feed Super with 10mm mags, but it might work; some people who have .45s and 10s use the same .45 mags for both?

10mm and .38 Super both use 1:16, and that was the original spec for the .40, but there have been .40 guns with different twists.

I'd use the barrel brand that the 'smith likes; the fitting is more important than the tube.
Old April 14, 2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Tinbucket

colt delta elite 10mm......

Rick B your last line.... Say what?
Old April 14, 2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Nathan

9x25, 40 and 10 on the same slide could work. 38 super is a different ejector and extractor position....i wont say impossible since people make 9mm conversions for Glocks, but improbable...the super would also need 38 super mags. With an upper half, 38 super would be possible.

These multicaliber jobs all sound cool, until one condiders that they will shoot to different points of aim and the cost more the 3 good 1911's.

The point about barrels vs fitting is that auto pistol accuracy is never about the barrel blank and always about the fit, crown and chamber...welding up and refitting a Colt or Springfield barrel is said to give good results with a properly fit bushing. The bushing is now much easier with egw's cut to fit bushings.
Old April 14, 2017, 12:34 PM   #5
RickB

Quote:
Rick B your last line.... Say what?
That's my sig line; it's part of a PM that another member sent me, who was wrong about my being wrong. I "wear" it like a badge of honor.
Old April 14, 2017, 12:44 PM   #6
RickB

Quote:
9x25, 40 and 10 on the same slide could work. 38 super is a different ejector and extractor position....i wont say impossible since people make 9mm conversions for Glocks, but improbable...the super would also need 38 super mags. With an upper half, 38 super would be possible.
The positions aren't different, in the sense everything fits in common holes.
The ejector is made wider for smaller-diameter rounds, and the hook of the extractor extends closer to the slide centerline.

A buddy of mine had his .40 converted to Super, and, yeah, it might take some real quality fiddling to get a single ejector and a single extractor to work for every/all rounds, but even having caliber-specific extractor and ejector wouldn't be a huge deal; both can be easily swapped in five minutes if they're fitted to the gun.