The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Jeryray

Starline brass

Just purchased 500 starline .45 cases.

I am noticing after the bullet is seated, there is a ring around the head.
Perhaps this nickel brass is harder seat the bullet into?
Old April 12, 2017, 11:51 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

A little more information would be helpful.

A pic of this "ring" would be a great help. Otherwise, could you be a little more descriptive? Is this ring the bullet or the brass? What kind of bullet are you seating? Are you seating and crimping in the same step? Does the loaded ammo chamber in your firearm?

Help us help.
Old April 13, 2017, 07:56 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

+1 with Nick....more info. If you're talking about a ring around the case where the base of the bullet ends up at, that is caused by a bit of a mis-match in sizing between the inside case diameter and bullet diameter. If they feed in the gun it's not a problem. If it's something else, post a pic.
Old April 13, 2017, 09:54 AM   #4
robhic

Just a guess in my "newness" but could the bell or flare of the case be a tiny bit too small and is shaving off a bit of the plating or lead? Some of my first attempts seating plated bullets (lead ones too) shaved the plating. Increased the bell a tad and problem fixed.
Old April 13, 2017, 03:09 PM   #5
condor bravo

It sounds like the ring, amounting to a case diameter enlargement, starting at the base of the bullet after seating the bullet, which is somewhat common and no reason to throw away the Starline brass.
Old April 13, 2017, 05:38 PM   #6
robhic

Quote:
no reason to throw away the Starline brass.

Yes. Yes it is!!! Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you!
Old April 13, 2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Jeryray

Yes, I posted late again, don't think after a long day.

The bullets are 230G Berrys plated .45.

The ring is where the Dillon 650 seating die contacts the bullet.

Other brass does not do this.

I am thinking because it's brand new and tight.

Perhaps I should flare more?
Old April 14, 2017, 12:42 AM   #8
condor bravo

The ring then is around the bullet rather than the case and as you surmise, probably due to the tighter fitting brass requiring more pressure to seat the bullet. That situation is brought up from time to time and the usual cure is to smooth out the inside of the seating stem where it contacts the bullet. More flare might help but not guaranteed.
Old April 14, 2017, 11:14 AM   #9
buck460XVR

The ring will not impact accuracy, and most likely not feeding. Starline brass sometimes is thicker than other brass types and since the brass when sized is dimensionally the same on the OD as other brass types, due to the increase in wall size, the ID will be smaller, thus a tighter fit and more pressure needed to seat the bullet. This increase in neck tension tho will help greatly with bullet retention and resistance to bullet setback.
Old April 14, 2017, 08:51 PM   #10
Gary Wells

I'd dump the Berry's plated long before I dumped the Starline.
Might consider buying or borrowing a small qty. of LSWC.
Old April 14, 2017, 09:03 PM   #11
ShootistPRS

The Berry's bullets are .452" in diameter which is .001" larger than jacketed bullets. If the cases are sized and expanded for the standard jacketed bullet I would expect there to be a narrowing between the seated bullet and the base of the cartridge. when I was shooting 45 ACP with 250 cast lead bullets the difference was .002" over the jacketed bullet diameter and they always had a "wasp waist" (narrowed case diameter under the seated bullet. It never seemed to affect the function of the Colt Combat Commander although the gun was never "reliable" even using factory FMC ball ammo.
Old April 15, 2017, 12:18 AM   #12
Jeryray

I am going to test the one box I made. If accuracy has not changed, I will wait until I reload the starline brass (nickel) a few times.

Nobody will see my bullets to comment except me...

Thanks for the info guys..
Old April 15, 2017, 10:29 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Jeryray,

Did you pull the clip pin out of the seating die and look at the two ends of the Dillon seating ram? The are reversible. One end is for round nose and the other is for semi-wadcutters. Pick the one that fits your bullets best by taking that stem out and trying both ends on one of your bullets. You can also radius and polish the edges with some emery cloth and crocus cloth, respectively, while you have it out.

If you do end up using the opposite end of the stem from the one you are using now, you will want to readjust the die. The easiest way is to back out the adjustment several turns, put one of your already-finished rounds at the seating station, run the press ram up, then tighten the die adjustment back down again until it makes solid feeling contact with the bullet.

On nickel-plated brass, use some care. The nickel is harder than brass and while it simply wears off some brass gradually, it flakes off others. The flakes can embed in your sizing die carbide ring and scratch other cases run through the die. If you put a light coat of spray case lube on the brass before resizing, it will help prevent this problem. It's just added bother.

I once bought 500 nickel-plated .308 cases with the idea the plating would help me segregate my brass from other shooter's brass at matches. The problem was the nickel reflects the color of grass and dirt accurately, so it proved harder to find. The matches only allowed us a limited amount of time to police brass between relays, and in the end, that nickel-plated camouflage caused me to lose more cases than when other shooters were picking my brass up accidentally.

The main advantage nickel has is how much longer you can keep it in leather belt loops and pouches before it starts to corrode. Police liked it in the revolver days for this reason. I wouldn't be surprised if some parts of the country still had that. Nickel probably resists weather conditions better in general. But they have to pickle (surface etch) brass to plate it and the brass is usually weakened some by that. Combined with the lower flexibility of nickel, you may find these cases develop mouth splits earlier than all-brass cases do. There seem to be differences in nickel plating process such that some cases suffer this and some don't. There's no sure prediction one way or the other.

The bottom line, though, is I found nickel to be more trouble than it's worth. YMMV, but just some things to think about for future purchases.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2017, 11:16 AM   #14
Rifletom

nickel starline?

Question. Is nickel plated Starline brass a special order? I don't believe I've seen that before. Never really cared much for the nickel plated brass, but, was wondering, as have not noticed it before. Thanks.
Old April 15, 2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

They don't sell it direct. It's special order from them, so they only make it available in dealer quantities. So if Midway or some other Starline retailer wants some, they can get it. So Jeryray will have purchased in from another vendor, and not from Starline directly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2017, 11:34 AM   #16
condor bravo

No, nickel plated not a special order, I definitely have it in .45-70 and I believe one or two others, from Midway and/or Graf.
Old April 15, 2017, 12:08 PM   #17
Gary Wells

Most or all of nickel plated Starline Brass is special order. only.
Old April 15, 2017, 01:49 PM   #18
condor bravo

My other Starline nickel plated cases are .44-40s. Any special ordering would have been done by the vendor, either Midway or Graf I would guess.
Old April 15, 2017, 07:05 PM   #19
Gary Wells

That's a possibility, and another is that when somebody special orders some popular calibers that then intentionally make an intentional over-run & offers it up to some distribution &/or retail companies.
Old April 17, 2017, 09:47 PM   #20
disseminator

If you head on over to Starline's website, you will notice the nickel plated can be bought but only in bulk as they make it to order. End users most likely won't buy 5000 or more at a time so it's through Midway, Brownell's, Graf, etc that the shiny brass is available in smaller amounts.

When I first started hand loading, I bought 500 Nickel 10mm Starline from Midway. They have held up well over the years but I never bought more nickel and probably won't in the future unless it's a super deal.
Old April 17, 2017, 10:59 PM   #21
Jeryray

Midway is where I purchased the Brass (Nickel)