The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 25, 2017, 10:49 AM   #1
kraigwy

High Power Rifle question on Rapid Fire

Since I got distinguished in 1992 I haven't been too involved in High Power, I'm more into the CMP Vintage Rifle Games.

Fact is, I just checked and all my HP classifications went away.

But in reading the current rules it seems to me the shooter isn't required to Stand before shooting a Rapid Fire Stage. If I read it right, the rifle is out of the shoulder and the ammo is laying next to you. Then when the targets appear you load and start shooting.

Am I reading the rules right?

The CMP still requires you to stand before a rapid fire stage. One time I tried not standing and it through my timing off so bad it was the worst rapid fire sting I fired in a long time.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 25, 2017, 12:30 PM   #2
hagar

CMP and NRA rules went their separate ways. NRA you can start sitting, CMP you have to stand.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:43 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

kraigwy, If you're getting back into HP it can get confusing. New rules everywhere. NRA rapids start in position,rifle empty with ammo close by.
CMP rapids start standing, bolt closed on an empty chamber with first magazine inserted. AR Service rifles can use a 4.5X scope. Match rifles can sport any scope.
I thought the scope thing was a bad idea until my eye sight went South. I can stay in Service rifle a while longer.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 29, 2017, 03:54 PM   #4
kraigwy

I agree about the scopes on service rifle, I was against it until I thought it out.

Service Rifle is just that, Service Rifle. Our soldiers use scopes so I guess they should be allowed in Service Rifle Matches.

That's why I like the CMP Vintage Rifle games, the are old service rifles, as issued with no modifications.

But things have changed there. When I first started shooting the EIC matches run by the then, DCM, had to be shot with issued ammo, you had to load from the person. And no ground matches. Setting rapid was 50 sec and prone rapid was 60 secs.

We used paddles for scoring in the pits, not the CMP used electronic targets where each shooter has his own TV screen to see his shots.

I like shooting on those, but I do miss the comradeship of the pits.
Old April 30, 2017, 05:07 PM   #5
4EVERM-14

Quote:
kraigwy

I like shooting on those, but I do miss the comradeship of the pits.
A shooting friend made an interesting comment. He said High Power shooters were the most friendly bunch because they are required to work with another person[shooter] all day.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 30, 2017, 09:33 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I am not now active in riflery but have reports from a regular.
He was underwhelmed by the electronics at Talladega and the cameras at Lodi. He said the new frames at Arnold were a bear to lift, too.
Old May 6, 2017, 05:17 AM   #7
darkgael

electronics

I have not shot HP with the electronic scoring. I have shot air pistol a number of times at Camp Perry using the electronic targets. I found them very convenient. Very accurate.
It seems the me that, in HP matches, electronic targets would lighten the equipment load a bit (haven't seen the set up but no scope, no tripod) and eliminate the need for a spotter.
Pete
Old May 8, 2017, 08:28 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
It seems the me that, in HP matches, electronic targets would lighten the equipment load a bit (haven't seen the set up but no scope, no tripod) and eliminate the need for a spotter.
True for some I guess, but I'm not giving up my scope. Electronic targets show shot placement, but they aren't worth poop for reading wind and mirage.
Old May 8, 2017, 05:59 PM   #9
darkgael

Wind

Quote:
but they aren't worth poop for reading wind and mirage.
You DO have a point there. There was no wind on the airgun range.

Pete