The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2017, 10:15 AM   #1
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Shotgun self defend rounds: 311 buckshot in 12 ga and 20 ga

Shotgun self defend rounds: 311 buckshot in 12 ga and 20 ga

Consider These rounds as self defense rounds for an 20 ga shotgun or 12 ga. Nice home defense ammo I believe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170131_11_00_55_Pro.jpg (98.3 KB, 803 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170131_11_10_24_Pro.jpg (105.2 KB, 814 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170131_11_11_26_Pro.jpg (98.9 KB, 1027 views)
Old January 31, 2017, 10:16 AM   #2
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170131_11_22_46_Pro.jpg (89.5 KB, 1014 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170131_11_23_40_Pro.jpg (90.5 KB, 1321 views)
Old January 31, 2017, 10:54 AM   #3
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

The above 20 ga buckshot conversion rounds have this spread at 25 meters...

...from this cylinder bore gun (Mossberg SP 500 20 ga). I recommend this gun for home defense or any Mossberg 500 (20 ga or 12 ga).

Old January 31, 2017, 03:26 PM   #4
FITASC

Why aren't you just shooting and reloading the empty hulls with regular powder and crimping normally?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 31, 2017, 04:25 PM   #5
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Dear Fitasc,

Since I am located in Southamerica, gun powder is locally not availlable comercially. Commercial sales supposedly are forbidden.
So we have to "invent" something else.
Rocket firecrackers are plenty availlable and gives you the rusting possibility to relaod your shotgun shells with that rusting barrel stuff. Like here:

in here: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...=582254&page=2.

I scavenge the 12 ga shotgun shells for their powder to reload 9mm Luger and 357 mag/38spl Nagant style. Like here:

For crimping I do not have an star crimper but bought one of these russian hand roll crimpers. Those are awesome.
So there you have the reasons.
Nevertheless all my reloading equipment has arrived safe and sound. That is how it works over here (the law depends all of whom you ask).
Old February 1, 2017, 02:45 AM   #6
kozak6

The size is about right. It's right between #1 buckshot and 0 buckshot. #1 buckshot (.30) is arguably the most effective load in 12 gauge, although 00 buckshot (.33) is the most popular.

It's a shame you have to scavenge gunpowder like that.
Old February 1, 2017, 04:29 PM   #7
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

The BP from the Rocket fire Cracker I use only in my old Maverick 88 12 ga due to fear of rust.

In my new guns I use modified Commercial birdshot.
Old February 2, 2017, 03:38 AM   #8
bamaranger

why

I understand you are in South America, but can you not obtain standard 20 ga buckshot with #3 (?) buck? Or slugs?
Old February 2, 2017, 06:28 AM   #9
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Yes. Factory ammo is plenty availlable. Here the price is the issue.
Buckshot can be easily double the price as birdshot. And slugs can be double of the buckshot. Birdshot is roughly 75 cents here, buckshot if availlable may be 1.3$ and slugs may be by now an unbelievable 2$ already.

Reloading or converting over here is allways associated with huge savings.
Old February 2, 2017, 09:52 AM   #10
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

With ammo Prices it came here that far that the market for central fire calibers (pistols, rifles) has about chocked and stalled almost completely.

People are not buying anymore 9mm or any other calibers due to ammo cost. They switched all to 22 LR rifles and pistols but even for that caliber they are more and more cautious in buying since 22 lr is not cheap as well (about 25 Cents a round of 22 LR).
It is a shame but shameless Business and importers drove the Situation to this Point (were only rich People can afford having central fire caliber guns).

That is why I on time got into reloading so by now I have almost all reloading Equipment gotten together and can make relatively cheap ammo. Lead for casting is plenty availlable and affordable.
Old February 2, 2017, 01:06 PM   #11
bamaranger

ok

Guy,

Understand you have an ammo/cost issue, and reloading is a cost cutter. I can't imagine using BP from firecrackers......but your situaiton is what it is I suppose. Even so, despite your ammo costs, what price do you put on your life/well being or those you protect.

For SD, I would shell out the cash for real factory ammo for a full load and a reload, and that would be THE ammo for my SD shotgun.

I would leave my experimental ammo for other.
Old February 2, 2017, 04:48 PM   #12
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

That is what I do in about.

The firecracker ammo I do not use in my guns but rather once in a while for hunting in the old Maverick 88 12 ga and I give them for free to my workers for hunting trying to convince them of the "goodie of the reloads". There is no way that BP + 1 bomb explosive powder reload will damage the gun lest blow it up. Since 2 of the bomb shells explosive powder gives less recoil than an factory load and the BP + 1 bomb shell powder give as well less recoil than an full power factory load (but are approaching factory power levels). All of those have the recoil of about an 7/8 oz slug in an 12 ga travelling about 1100 fps. Besides it is much fun shooting those smoky BP + 1 bomb shell rounds (huge flash and lots of smoke). Rust is an issue with this powder.

The other 12 ga Mossberg and 20 ga I use with my converted birdshot ammo were I leave in the factory smokeless powder.
Believe me: my converted ammo is as good as any factory ammo can be.

I have invested much in molds and reloading equipmente and should I not use those converted rounds in my guns it would not have made sense to buy at all the reloading equipment.
Those selfmade converted rounds are better than factory ammo.

BTW; over here they think I am crazy if I am reloading. The idea of reloading ammo scares the heck out of people since they believe it is very dangerous. I have made my own fuel for my car and as well then people called me crazy.

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; February 2, 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old February 26, 2017, 05:24 PM   #13
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Open top roll crimp method for 311 round ball buckshot

I just realised I can load my .311" round balls in an 20 ga (petal are cut off on the wad) birdshot round like this:

The reload (in the Picture it is the yellow 20 ga round) consists again of the factory birdshot powder and 6 buckshots of caliber 311 (about a bit bigger than #1 buckshot)
Roll crimp alone keeps the 311 caliber round balls in place. They will not fall out. But if crimped too tight the round will not chamber correctly. This method Needs a just right crimp.

I do not Need to top it off by some sort of wad to plug the end.

These Group even better than loading them like my previous Posts. At 30 paces (Yards) I got 3 hits on target (old toilet water bowl) which was about Torso size; the other 3 buckshots went just a tad high of the target. All 6 buckshots went into an tree behind the target and grouped about 17 inches.
I feel like this there is an improvement in Group size over the other crimping methods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 round ball 311 Buckshot loaded in 20 ga.jpg (106.3 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; February 26, 2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: try to make the picture better
Old March 10, 2017, 07:24 PM   #14
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Here I made a 12 ga with roll crimping but this time it is open from the end like my 20 ga 6 Buckshots (.311" round balls).

This 12 ga has 9 311 caliber round balls in it like the photo below:

This maybe is not the best idea since with very stout loads the round balls could come loose and fall out. I anyways use them as single shot in my pump gun (mayorly to shoot wild Dogs when they bother the cattle).
However the crimp on that round in the photo has to be improved since it did not crimp enough due to a to large wad and to Little space in the wad. I actually already cut down some of the recoil buffer of this birdshot wad but should have cut a bit more to get more crimp (as you can see the balls are are a bit on top of the roll crimp instead completely behind it as it should be).

If it is properly loaded and the 3 top round balls are completely behind the crimp chances are they will not be able to fall out even under heavy recoil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170310_21_07_53_Pro.jpg (108.8 KB, 537 views)