The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2015, 09:56 AM   #1
riverratt

crimped primers?

The other day I was picking up some of my 40 brass and had apparently also picked up about a half a box of someone else's. Today wile sizing the cases I noticed my decapping pin got pushed up (lee die). Now I do set the "clamp" on the decapping pin a bit on the loose side so I wont break my pin if I miss a berdan primed case. I have never ran into any crimped primers before so I really don't know what to look for but after tapping down my pin to remove the primer I couldn't see any type of ring or anything to indicate that it was crimped. What gives am I missing something, or are they just really tight primers? The head stamp says they are S&B.
Old December 24, 2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Economist

In my experience, S&B .40 brass has tight primer pockets and doesn't want to give up its primers easily. Seating new primers is difficult, too, but not as hard as trying to seat a primer through a crimp on a .223 case.

I don't think they are crimped, they are just difficult.
Old December 24, 2015, 11:12 AM   #3
PA-Joe

Don't confuse berdan primed case with crimped cases. The berdan have two holes in the base of the case that you can see if you look into the case.

Crimped primers are just a little harder to push out. You run into problems when you try to push a new primer in.

You also have to look for non-centered primer holes. these will bend the de-priming pin.
Old December 24, 2015, 11:55 AM   #4
wwmkwood

S&B has the tightest primmer pockets of all the brass I've loaded, I've never seen any S&B crimped
Old December 24, 2015, 12:25 PM   #5
mikld

Quote:
S&B has the tightest primmer pockets of all the brass I've loaded, I've never seen any S&B crimped
My experience also. The S&B brass I've used also has very little chamfer in the primer pocket mouths, so I treat them just like military crimped primers, deprime and countersink the pockets...