The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 26, 2017, 01:54 PM   #1
grantman

ccw and hd pistols for training

For those whose carry and hd pistols are different, how do you split your time/ammo between practicing with your ccw pistol and hd pistol? Generally, the full size is more enjoyable to shoot at the range but perhaps less likely to actually need. It seems that more time/ammo should be dedicated to the ccw pistol
Old April 26, 2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Just want to say that it's ideal to have a similar home and self-defense gun.

Mine is a P229 with the SRT trigger, along with a Surefire X300U or XC1 and a 20 round magazine for home defense. And the carry gun is an M11-A1 with the same ammo and trigger.

Like others, who have Glock 17 or 19 pistols for home defense and a 26 or 43 for carry. It's just ideal.

Can we have some insight on what your current setup is?

I did something similar to that for a little while and the answers do vary depending on what guns they are.
Old April 26, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
Targa

I carry a Kahr CM9 and my home defense is a Beretta M9. For the most part they both get equal amount of range time and more than most of my other firearms.
Although I don't practice it, I can't argue with Constantine's thoughts of what is ideal, it is pretty much spot on in my opinion as we'll as this statement by him:
Quote:
Like others, who have Glock 17 or 19 pistols for home defense and a 26 or 43 for carry. It's just ideal.
Old April 26, 2017, 04:54 PM   #4
kraigwy

I believe the carry and home defense pistol/revolver should be the same gun.

I also believe one should carry at home.

I do have a 16" M4 (AR) with light that I keep handy because this place is over run with coyotes but I consider it a varmint gun instead of an home defense gun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 26, 2017, 05:06 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

+1 w/kraigwy
My collection is primarily handguns but even so there is really only 2 guns I carry so Im a big believer in the "fear the man with one gun" theory.

So naturally any gun other then ones I carry if they come along to the range at all it's just for fun and don't see nearly as many rounds.

I also agree that your home defense gun (if a handgun is your weapon of choice) and your carry gun should be the same.. if it's not in the holster it's next to the bed.

It really simplifies things, simple is good.
Old April 26, 2017, 05:44 PM   #6
MosinNOUGAT

Practice equally with both. When you go to the range, just try to spend half of your time with your hd and half with your ccw. Never know when you're gonna need which. (In the US): One out of every 5 houses will be broken into, there were over 2 million home invasions in 2005, and a property crime happens every 3 seconds with a burglary every 10 seconds.. However, 1.8 million people are assaulted violently (and this is ONLY non-fatal incidents) annually.
So I would train with both.
Old April 26, 2017, 06:53 PM   #7
grantman

Usually carry a hk P30sk or a shield in 9mm, hd is usually vp9 w a light
Old April 27, 2017, 09:47 AM   #8
A J

What I do is kinda dumb and illogical, but it works.

When I'm at the range, I like to shoot a full-size Beretta M9. For carrying, I always opt for a snub-nosed revolver. I hardly ever practice with my carry revolvers. Yes, I realize I'm a bad man... a very bad man.
Old April 27, 2017, 10:11 AM   #9
FireForged

I am going to carry a smaller gun .. what I have at home is not subject to the same criteria. Today right now, I have a Springfield XDM in 9mm ( 19+1 ) in the night stand. I carry a Glock43
Old April 27, 2017, 12:29 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

Let me preface my post with the facts in my case.
There are three adults in the home. All three are used to handling guns and have combat training. We have trained together so we know we can work together. We have practiced hidden communication to handle a hostage situation.
With that understanding the home defense guns are 12 ga. pumps. The floor plan is pretty open in the center of the house and the only places to get out of view are all dead ends. There is always someone home and we are always armed. Sitting here at the computer I have a 357, a 9mm with three extra magazines and an AR15 with two magazines at my instant disposal. My wife has 2 12 ga. shotguns at her disposal and my brother has a 357, and a 12 ga. at his. It is late morning and between 5AM and 3AM there is at least one of us awake. Short of having 24 hour armed guards we are about as safe as anyone can be. We live on the outskirts of a small town and the biggest natural disaster would be thunderstorms. Someone coming on the property would be in plain view for a long time and we would have about two minutes prior warning for anyone accessing by the road. (a bit more time if on foot) We know our neighbors and we all get along very well when we see them.
There is very little danger from people of questionable character.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:11 PM   #11
45Gunner

My carry gun and my home defense gun are the same gun. It comes out of my holster before I go to bed and I keep it on a custom made stand on my night table.

While I do shoot other guns at the range, I always get a practice session in with my dual purpose 4" 1911. Always cleaned after a range outing and springs changed before they need them.

Oh, did I mention I have an AR-15 with a 30rd magazine and a Mossberg Pump Action Shotgun at the ready in the closet near my bed?
NRA Life Member
Old April 27, 2017, 03:49 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
I also believe one should carry at home
You live in Wyoming and you feel the need to carry at home? WOW..

I can't count the number of times I have left the doors and windows open when the weather is nice - taken a PM nap or be in the pool. No issues and haven't had any...............

Guess my little home sweet home is in a sweet spot regarding crime and all that. If I felt I had to carry at home, I'd be moving.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 28, 2017, 01:51 PM   #13
jackstrawIII

I practice with all my guns, pretty much equally. Probably the home defense gun most though, just because that's where I feel the most likely to use a gun.

I'd NEVER want to pull a gun in public (I do carry, but I've never even considered "brandishing" it). But in my own house, yup. First bump in the night, that sucker comes out.
Old April 28, 2017, 02:51 PM   #14
K_Mac

I see a few comments here that just make cringe, but none more than than the sentiment that anyone who carries at home either lives in a very dangerous neighborhood, is a little paranoid, or even worse-needs a gun to feel manly. While I also live in a "sweet spot" in regards to crime, I know that crime does happen in areas like mine, which is why I carry in my home and most everywhere else. I also leave doors and windows guarded by only a screen at times when the weather is nice. I don't think those two things are at odds. Having a pistol on me is not a burden, costs nothing, and does not interfere with my ability to relax. It does give me the security of having it if needed.

On topic, my SR9c concealed carry pistol is also my first line home defense weapon. I have others that I am comfortable with, and other options available...
Old April 28, 2017, 07:30 PM   #15
FITASC

Well, sorry YOU feel that way; I find a lot of some of these comments to border on paranoia
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 28, 2017, 08:17 PM   #16
ShootistPRS

It's not paranoia to want to be prepared - even for the unlikely.
I have a pantry full of last years garden produce, a freezer full of smoked cooked and fresh frozen meats, an a garden that is already growing. I have bookcases bolted to the walls and heavy items held in place with commercial strength Velcro. I have a clear zone around my home so I don't have to worry about fires and I have insurance on everything. I wear seatbelts in my cars and maintain them. I carry a gun at all times and I have a number of weapons within reach. I'm not paranoid, I am prepared for just about anything that could happen.

There are things that I can't prepare for, like an asteroid the size of LA crashing into the world or the mass eruption of Yellowstone. I leave those in the hands of my creator.

Seat belts, parachutes and guns - by the time you realize you need one it is too late to get one.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:11 PM   #17
joe sixgun

Same gun. No problems.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:16 AM   #18
armoredman

I carry at home and outside - I don't like trying to run to the storage spot if someone is trying to come through the door. My personal choice, yours may vary and I won't criticize someone for that choice. The bedside and carry sidearm is usually the same one, saves time and energy.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:35 AM   #19
AK103K

Quote:
I believe the carry and home defense pistol/revolver should be the same gun.

I also believe one should carry at home.
Same here.

If youre going to bother carrying a gun, why would you take it off when you get home.

Never understood the "I have a gun for this...and I have a gun for that... way of thinking either. Why wouldnt your carry gun be your HD gun (in most cases)?

Quote:
You live in Wyoming and you feel the need to carry at home? WOW..

I can't count the number of times I have left the doors and windows open when the weather is nice - taken a PM nap or be in the pool. No issues and haven't had any...............

Guess my little home sweet home is in a sweet spot regarding crime and all that. If I felt I had to carry at home, I'd be moving.
We live in a very rural area, and while nothing like the cities or suburbs, its just as nutty here (and in many cases, even more so) than anywhere else.

We tend to have less crime like you see in the cities, but the violent crime is still there, and per capita, probably not all that different.

Like you, we leave the doors and windows open, and keys in the cars, etc, all the time, but we also have big dogs running around, perimeter alarms, and wear, and have guns around the house.

We have no local police, just roving state police. That means they might be here in 5 minutes, or maybe 30+ minutes, depending on where they are at any given moment.

When trouble comes, it comes on its own terms, not yours. Youre either prepared or you arent.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:37 AM   #20
TailGator

Quote:
I find a lot of some of these comments to border on paranoia
I'm glad you feel completely safe, but look up a definition of paranoia and then consider: what belief is less based on reality, the one that nothing bad can happen to you at home, or the one that innocent people have been killed and injured in their homes?

It always bothers me that gun owner A is willing to declare gun owner B to be mentally ill because B carries in a situation in which A does not, and very often without A being fully aware of B's situation.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:29 AM   #21
JoeSixpack

Statistically speaking America is still an extremely safe country.

But "If it bleeds it leads!" and the news has 3,000 miles and over 300 million people for it to happen to, We're on the scene live sometimes before the police watching it on our tv screens.

Still.. IT DOES happen.. and while it may not happen to you this week, or even this year.. in fact it probably wont unless you go trolling for trouble down dark alley's at night like Charles Bronson.

The fact remains that it DOES happen, and so some of us carry while we're out but why stop there? I'll be honest I've had more trouble with vandalism and other problems at home then I have being assaulted or even threatened in public.

Luckily I've not had anything burglarized but someone is usually home although if it's just me I keep most of the interior lights out.

Im a big guy and carry a fullsize handgun, Sometimes I have to check to see if it's still there cause frankly 99% of my day it's not forefront on my mind, it's just something I have if I need it, It's only the no-gun signs/zones that even make me think about it.

At home it's even less of a problem, continue to carry till bed/bath time, put it on the night stand, wake up get dress, back in the holster.. easy peezee.

So while it might seem paranoid to carry a gun or have one handy for home defense it's really of little effort and if I don't need it (And I probably and hopefully never will) that's just fine by me.

But if I do.. You bet your ass you'll wish you had it.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:21 PM   #22
Danoobie

The sad reality of life is that there's a right way, a
wrong way, and what you actually do. What I do, is
the minimum it takes, to make sure my SD gun shoots
accurately.

Then I enjoy my range time with my target pistols.