The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #76
MosinNOUGAT

Quote:
Peeing on the action is something we were told to try, in an emergency, if it was stuck shut due to the cold.
If you ever had to do this, would you have to clean it afterwards from the acids in urine? Just wondering. . .

Thanks
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #77
ratshooter

You better not be caught pi$$in' on my gun.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #78
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Really?

Huh, :
My bolt is not sticky at all,
My trigger is not at all heavy,
It's not too heavy,
I never use the safety on my Mosin,
It's PRETTY accurate!
That's nice for you.

However, your question was, "Is the Mosin (91/30) a good survival rifle???" Which suggests M-Ns in general, not your particular rifle. If you want to talk about your particular rifle, for any of us to have anything to talk about, you'd have to let each of us spend time with it.

Otherwise, with my admittedly limited experience with M-Ns (only handled about a dozen of them), plus everything I've ever read about them, plus the experiences as related to me by friends concerning their M-Ns, I'm confident my assessment is fairly accurate.

Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #79
Blindstitch

This is like the motorcycle joke.

Back in January, on a bitterly cold winter’s day in North Dakota, a State Trooper out on patrol came upon a motorcyclist who was stalled by the roadside. The biker was swathed in heavy protective clothing and wearing a full-face helmet to protect the face from the cold weather.

“What’s the matter? asked the Trooper. “Carburetor’s frozen,” was the terse reply. “Pee on it. That’ll thaw it out.” “I can’t,” said the biker.

“OK, watch me closely and I’ll show you.” The Trooper unzipped and promptly warmed the carburetor as promised. Moments later the bike started and the rider drove off, waving.

A few days later, the local State Troopers’ office received a note of thanks from the father of the motorcyclist. It began: “On behalf of my daughter Jill, I’d like to thank Officer…”
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #80
bamaranger

beats a sharp stick

I remember seeing photos of folks guarding their, homes, property and people with .22 rifles after one of the west coast quakes. I have also read accounts of folks who "escaped" New Orleans with an AK clone.

Point is that just about any rifle and ample ammo gives you an up on mob type activity, at least for a bit. The Mosins came through Stalingrad, Lenningrad, etc and would be better than nothing. Not my first choice, but certainly could be pressed into effective service.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #81
MosinNOUGAT

Quote:
I'm confident my assessment is fairly accurate.
With most of the MNs I've seen, your assessment is correct.

Probably due to the large amounts of wartime MNs that flooded into the US, usually made with little to no care for quality: as long as it shot, it worked for them (these mostly had round receivers because they were easier to make than ones with hex receivers which is why prewar hex MNs were usually considered higher quality than wartime ones). Luckily I got a prewar one with a hex receiver.

Thanks
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #82
rickyrick

Based on your posts, I'm gonna say that in two or three years, you'll be getting into ARs. That is if they are allowed where you are.
Most try a little of this and a little of that. Then they move on to the budget AR. Tinkering with an AR, the realization sets in that with ARs, you can create one that can do whatever you want a rifle to do, pretty much.

Then everyone thinks, "hmmmm, I could get a spare upper and have a two-fer-one."

Then it is decided the spare upper needs it's own lower. Two complete rifles now are candidates for spare uppers... next thing you know there's ARs everywhere.
You can even make a straight pull bolt gun out of one if you wanna, sort of.

But I don't mean to assume that you are interested in an AR, I can't read minds, I'm using it as a metaphor.
My advice is: when you decide what you want, get the gun that you want; get it even if it means saving money for a bit longer. Don't settle for less, it's most always disappointing.
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #83
DPris

In a dozen or so Mosins I've had here, only one had a bolt sticky enough to require malleting open after firing.

Sticky bolts are well known, but not inevitable in all Mosins.
Most are due to cosmoline inside the bolt or chamber.
Denis