The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2017, 01:03 PM   #1
GilaDan

WW 572? Where is its niche?

Recently shot 28 charts (5 shots per) from 380 to 45acp with mixed results at best with the new WW 572 powder. Most loads were a couple tenths above start charge. Beretta 84 shot a good group with 100 gr. Beretta 92 a good group with 147 XTP. OK group in 38 spl with a 125 gr. Glock 41 w/red dot shot 5 in one inch group using 200 gr Lyman SWC. Did not really come close to that with 3 other 45's, open sights.

Shooting Times May/2017 has a good article with ransom rest results. They kinda conclude that lower grain bullet loads are most accurate.

Wondering if others would share their results and maybe we can find where this powder fits in.
Old April 19, 2017, 02:01 PM   #2
noylj

It should be in the already cluttered Unique/Universal/Power Pistol/Silhouette/WST/BE-86 area.
Mostly a shotgun powder.
Old April 19, 2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Winchester 572 is back??

Interesting.

I used it years ago; okay, decades ago .

I would have thought that if 572 ever came back, it would be packaged at HS-7 - as it was for some time, before it was discontinued entirely (my history of this may not be exactly accurate). What can I say, marketing is not my background.

At any rate, if it's like it used to be, I find it to be an awkward burn rate for any of my applications.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:58 PM   #4
IMtheNRA

Nick, you're thinking of Win- 571 / HS-7.

572 is an entirely new shotgun powder.
Old April 19, 2017, 08:13 PM   #5
GilaDan

Noylj, that is a very good point! There are so many powders today it boggles the mind. But don't you just love it? Any new powder is an excuse to load up a bunch of test loads and have fun. As if we need an excuse.

Personally, if you saw my powder chest you would think this is really an old timer, not that old tho. 8# jugs of Red Dot, Green Dot, Herco, Blue Dot, Bullseye, etc. Funny thing with those old shotgun powders, they are awesome in pistols. I don't even reload for my one shotgun.

The new powders, many of them, are great too. The CFE-BLK is awesome, Love BE-86 in 38 special, WAP (maybe old) is awesome in 38 Super, AutoComp, True Blue....
Old April 19, 2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Dufus

One good example of having a multitude of powders is during the trying times during the Oblamer administration when powders were hard to find.

I have good loads for my 45 ACP using 11 different powders. I had no trouble keeping something in the chamber.

Same goes for the other handgun calibers that I load. They might not be my preferred or favorite, but they work for me.

I still have some of Winchester's discontinued powders that I use occasionally,
but I have never tried the new WW572. Doesn't mean that it is not in the future.
Old April 19, 2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Nick, you're thinking of Win- 571 / HS-7.
Ah. Yes. So I am.

Thanks.