The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Rogervzv

Range Report -- Kimber and Dan Wesson 1911s

Well, I have a fairly new Dan Wesson PM-7 .45 and a Kimber Eclipse Target II .45. Got them both to the range today and put 200 rounds through each of them.

I can report that both guns functioned 100%. One dud round with the Dan Wesson was the only mar on an otherwise 100% performance. Was shooting Winchester 230 gr.

When I first got it, the Kimber occasionally would not slingshot fully into battery. I have learned that so long as I run the Kimber "wet" -- lots of lube on the slide -- this is not a problem and the gun functions 100% I tested it with Checkmate, McCormick, and Colt magazines and it functioned 100%. This is a very accurate pistol and it definitely shoots as accurately as my poor abilities will allow.

As always, the Dan Wesson functioned perfectly (excepting the dud round, which did function when reloaded) and is remarkably accurate. I cannot tell any difference in accuracy between the Kimber and the Dan.

Both guns are completely stock excepting that I put a Tritium front sight on the Dan. The Kimber comes stock with a Tritium front and rear sight.

Old February 26, 2017, 05:32 PM   #2
KyJim

Sounds like you had an excellent day at the range! Both are beautiful pistols.
Old February 27, 2017, 03:13 AM   #3
mellow_c

Nice guns.

Thanks for the pictures