The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1
BoogieMan

CZ 75 questions

I bought my son a P01 a few months back. Since I had a chance to shoot it, I want one. But, I want the full size version. Are the SP01 the same grip and reach as the P01? If not, do any of the full size versions have the same grip and reach? I am waiting for my LGS to get back to me with an available list.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 26, 2017, 01:41 PM   #2
gmoney

Wish you would have bought me a P01......... I cant find one anywhere...!!
Old February 26, 2017, 01:47 PM   #3
BoogieMan

He ordered it. I believe the shop is called Carolina Sporting Arms. I justill sent him a envelope full of cash.
However, I'm very impressed with the gun and want a full size version for myself.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 26, 2017, 01:50 PM   #4
gmoney

Yes....the SP01 would be sweet to have also...., I have noticed that the grip looks just like the P01 but I would imagine it would be a smidge larger on the SP01....., have not held either one..... I do own the P07 polymer but that's a different grip setup
Old February 26, 2017, 01:53 PM   #5
BigBL87

It's not the exact same grip, just based on the sizes of the two guns. Probably realized that, but figured I might as well state it. That being said, the SP-01 incorporates the grip geometry of the P-01 according to their website. I'm guessing the trigger reach is similar, but can't say since I don't own either. I own a CZ-75B and a P-07. I like the P-07 but kinda wish I would have held out for a P-01.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:58 PM   #6
gmoney

BigBL87..... I was doing the same but I'm still going to get a P01 first chance I get....
Old February 26, 2017, 02:49 PM   #7
BoogieMan

Sorry duplicate
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 26, 2017, 03:09 PM   #8
BoogieMan

I wish I could find some examples at a shop to compare.
I was able to lay hands on a 75bd also. Great feel and solid gun. But the P01 seemed better.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 26, 2017, 06:14 PM   #9
sirgilligan

I just took the pictures from the CZ website and put them over each other:

They have to be somewhat the same because the mags are the same, the bigger mags can go into the compact models.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

I responded to this elsewhere.

The SP-01 is NOT an enlarged version of the P-01. Its just a 75B with some of the features of the P-01 (i.e., the longer dustcover and accessory rail.) It's also STEEL rather than alloy which makes it noticeably heavier. The SP-01 was intended for USPSA and IDPA competition, and other versions (called the Shadow or Shadlow 2) also exist. There was (and apparently still is) a polymer-framed version of the SP-01, called the Phantom; I thought it had been discontinued, but it's on the CZ-USA website for 2017. (That site seems to be in the process of being updated, as many models are missing.)

I think the P-01 and PCR (both alloy-framed compact versions of the 75B) have a slightly different trigger than the other metal-framed CZ, with more curve, and that makes trigger reach different on those two guns; but the grips themselves (except for grip length) are basically the same. The trigger can be changed if you want better trigger reach by installed the P-01 trigger.

All of the metal-framed guns can be started safely from the "half-cock" notch, but IDPA and USPSA won't allow that in matches unless they're decocker-equipped. All decocker models start from the half-cocked notch if the gun has been decocked.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 26, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old February 26, 2017, 10:19 PM   #11
sirgilligan

It looks like from the pictures that the grip and reach to the trigger is extremely similar.
Old February 27, 2017, 07:10 AM   #12
BoogieMan

So let me make sure I am getting the features I want in the pistol I have to buy sight unseen. The thing that seems to make the P01 so comfortable is the deep notch under the beavertail. I think this make the grip feel smaller and the controls so accessible. So the SP01 shares that same trait. So, it would seem that the SP01 would have a very similar feel to the P01 except it will be heavier due to the steel frame that is a little larger than the P01. The same deep undercut seems to be present in the Shadow, Tactical Sport and Czeckmate.
The regular 75 models seem to be very close to the High Power.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 27, 2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieman
...The thing that seems to make the P01 so comfortable is the deep notch under the beavertail. I think this make the grip feel smaller and the controls so accessible.
The SP-01 has a different beavertail, like that used with the SA models, but I'm not sure that there is really a deeper notch as you describe it. I might be wrong about that, and it won't be the first time, but I think the biggest differences between the newer compact models and older models are the EXTENDED beavertail and a trigger with a deeper curve (the PCR and P-01). It may be the trigger that makes the grip feel different.

Most of the newer models have the extended beavertail, and reversible mag release. The different trigger, if it is installed on the SP-01, that will certainly change the FEEL of the grip and trigger reach. The "Phantom" version of the SP-01 shown on the CZ-USA seems to have THAT more-curved trigger.

This may take more research on your part -- you may have to see if someone here has both, or has access to both. Just calling or emailing CZ-USA ([email protected]) or using the link on their website might get you a DEFINITIVE answer.
Representatives available Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Central
Toll-free: 1-800-955-4486
Phone: (913) 321-1811
Fax: (913) 321-2251
Old February 27, 2017, 10:27 AM   #14
BoogieMan

@ Walt Sherrill- I will call CZ today and ask them directly. This is the most obvious route and somehow it never crossed my mind until you wrote it. I will post the information after I talk to them.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 27, 2017, 10:43 AM   #15
sirgilligan

From the CZ website:

"Borrowing from the improved grip geometry of the compact P-01, the SP-01 utilizes an extended beavertail to protect shooter’s strong hand as well as allowing for a deeper and more secure grip. "

From the photos they have the same curved trigger.

Here are my CZs:

They all three feel basically the same in my hand. I have held a P01 and it felt basically the same as well.

IMO, they took a little more material out of the back as it makes the curve for the beaver tail. Only slightly, and according to CZ it matches the geometry of the P01. So, a little more undercut at the back under the beaver tail.

I really don't notice it when shooting.
Old March 1, 2017, 07:06 AM   #16
BoogieMan

@sirgilligan- Thank you for the perfect answer. Now hopefully my LGS can get one of these models.
For anyone who is interested. This is the final answer from CZ.
Quote:
John,

The SP-01 Tactical would be the closest comparison to a P-01. They both sport accessory rails, decockers, and metallic frames. The ergonomics are the same. The dimensional differences are the slide/bbl lengths and grips. That's it!

Thanks,

Dereck Miller
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 1, 2017, 06:05 PM   #17
gmoney

That's good to know...Thank you
Old March 2, 2017, 09:12 PM   #18
sirgilligan

I hope it doesn't take you as long to find one as it did me. Three years of waiting. But, as luck would have it, they had both a compact and a P01 in the same shipment. The only solution, buy it when you see it, got them both.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:20 PM   #19
roarshock

Boogie as some pointed out, full size CZ 75's are steel. Big and heavy. Great for target shooting. Not so much for carry, etc. and quite a bit different to the PO 1.You might want to handle one first. Tristar imports a pretty cool compromise in their T-120. It's alloy frame. Only 30 ounces but has the bigger frame and longer sight radius like the CZ 75.The slightly smaller T-100 is very similar to the PO 1 style and size wise.Pretty nice pistols. CZ mags and sights interchange. I like my C-100. It's like a PCR CZ.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:43 PM   #20
ShootistPRS

I can't believe that a handgun that weighs less than three pounds is too heavy to carry. I have carried a 6" 357 for the last 40+ years. I'm an old man and I still carry it. I often forget that I have it on. I also have a CZ 75B all steel and 17 rounds of 9mm. C,mon guys, they just aren't heavy. You carry a 7 to 10 pound rifle during hunting season but a 2 pound pistol is too heavy?

Hard to conceal a full size semi-auto? I conceal carry my 6" 357 and my 45 Colt without any trouble. I can certainly carry my CZ 75B more easily. I know a woman who is roughly my age and she packs a full size 1911 all the time. This woman is only 5' 1" tall and weighs maybe as much as 110 pounds.

when did men start getting so weak?
Old March 3, 2017, 08:42 PM   #21
BigBL87

I think you're confusing weakness with the limits of equipment and comfort. I could probably conceal my full size CZ-75B with the right holster (preferably a 2 clip hybrid, like I had for my B6P) but it would be at the upper end of what my gun belt can support. Also, I prefer having a holster that is easier to take on and off since I work in corrections and have to disarm at work, and a single clip holster and a "heavy" CZ-75B isn't a great recipe for stability. When it comes down to it, just because I COULD carry it doesn't mean I SHOULD for practical purposes.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:14 PM   #22
ShootistPRS

I'm just bustin' chops not any more than that.
What, how and why we carry is a lot less important than the fact that we do carry.