The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 26, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1
roarshock

Cross draw vs FBI cant?

I don't carry normally and don't intend to. Might drop a pistol in hip pocket temporarily. But I'm practicing draw and shoot anyway, concerned with safety, and looking for a holster. I find cross draw appealing in many ways but understand it's not normally recommended. Why is that? Seems safer but similar to appendix carry some experts recommend. I'm not going that route for sure! Getting cover garments out of the way is easier but there's the chance of muzzle sweeping my left arm I suppose. Any experience or wisdom? Recommendations also appreciated. Thanks.
Old February 26, 2017, 11:58 AM   #2
BigJimP

Cross Draw is dangerous - because as you pull gun from holster ..you sweep that 90 degree arc from your hip to the target.../ while it can be done relatively safely by controlled the muzzle by keeping it toward the ground - and sweeping it forward and then rotating the muzzle up ....its also way slower than a strong side move in my opinion.

Its much better to go with a strong side holster...and I prefer the forward FBI cant on my holsters...both inside waist band for carry ..and the more traditional outside waist band ( or scabbard holster style) if I want to use it for range practice.

Talk to your buddies, if they have the same model gun as you do ...see if you can borrow a holster for a range trip. Many of us have holsters, for one reason or another, that we don't prefer but we've kept ( like a paddle holster I have ...that someone could try )...and I would let a buddy borrow it to evaluate. For what its worth, I prefer Kramer ...horsehide leather holsters.
Old February 26, 2017, 12:15 PM   #3
sakata8242

There is nothing that is more inherently dangerous to cross draw than to say shoulder carry. The reason why you may hear negative things about cross draw on the internets is because most training outfits ban cross draw because of the essentially 100% chance of you sweeping the guy next to you on the line when you draw.
Old February 26, 2017, 12:54 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Cross draw is particularly handy when driving. Does work better with a revolver vs a pistol. Has to do with how high the firearm sits. Certain amount of how much 'you' there might be in the way too. Requires a different holster for a pistol. Most high ride revolver holsters can be put on backwards and work as a cross draw.
However, the whole thing is more about how often you practice 'drawing' the pistol. It's something you can do sitting in front of the TV. As daft as that sounds.
"...muzzle sweeping my..." The best safety is the one between your ears. Finger stays off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
Old February 26, 2017, 03:27 PM   #5
roashooter

Quote:
Cross Draw is dangerous
anyone who makes cross draw dangerous....will be capable of making strong side dangerous.
Old February 26, 2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Buckeye!

FBI cant for normal size SD carry ..
For the felid I perfer cross draw ,especially if the handgun is BUG with long gun as primary
Old February 26, 2017, 08:02 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Two other factors to bear in mind:
  • It doesn't conceal well. A cross-draw rig makes a visible and distinctive hump since the gun is worn in front of the hip.
  • It's going to be harder to retain the weapon, since it's positioned in the perfect place for a grab.

For hunting and driving, it can be more practical and/or comfortable. For day-to-day carry, I can't really recommend it.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Sawyer.N

In my limited experience, I find crossdraw to have to many con's compared to its pro's.

1. Crossdraw is easy for an attacker to foil your draw at bad breath distance.
2. Crossdraw is slow
3. Crossdraw is hard (for me) to conceal
4. Crossdraw is awkward for me to pull off smoothly

I'm sure the list goes on. I carry 3'o clock, on my hip, sometimes even a bit in front of my hip for the following reasons.

pro's of 3'oclock

1. Very fast draw, I can shoot and hit my target almost instantly after I clear the holster, and I can continue to shoot on target in close quarters during my entire press out up until I have both hands on the grip, if I ever had to.
2. It is the quickest draw position (for me)
3. it is very easy to conceal (for me)
4. it is very easy to "obscure" my draw if I ever needed to draw my firearm secretly without alerting my potential attacker that I am doing so.
5. It is extremely comfortable for me to carry 3'o clock.
6. easy to clear concealment clothing
7. Easy for me to turn my body away from someone trying to foil my draw.

Surely there are pro's and con's to each pistol carriage method, including 3'oclock on the hip. To each their own, but I have never found crossdraw to make enough sense for me to ever utilize that method. The other positions on my waste band provide so much more than crossdraw can.
Old February 27, 2017, 08:52 PM   #9
roarshock

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Used to carry a 22 cross draw while deer hunting is what gave me the idea. I can see the pros and, probably more,negatives defense wise. Some guy shot and killed himself the other day just getting out of his car to go to work. They didn't say how. Reminded me of a friend who carries a small Glock just tucked into his pants appendix. I think he's moved it to the side now. I'm not getting paranoid but have had some creepy encounters lately, neighborhood crime, etc. All this craziness over politics and stuff besides got me thinking. Just too weird. I plan to be cautious but safe.
Old February 28, 2017, 01:43 AM   #10
Sawyer.N

Sounds like your friend needs to get a holster.
Old February 28, 2017, 09:45 AM   #11
roarshock

lol.True. He was drinking ice tea at the bar one day is how I found out. He already has two kids so maybe he's not worried.
Old February 28, 2017, 10:42 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

Slower draw and also easier to lose a gun wearing it cross-draw but YMMV.
Old February 28, 2017, 11:53 AM   #13
Lohman446

It strikes me that cross drawing against an adversary is a good way to end up with a broken wrist.
Old February 28, 2017, 12:21 PM   #14
kraigwy

I'm a believer in Cross Draw for concealed carry.

Its not dangerous if you keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

However the sweeping isn't polite. I solve that problem in my training classes by not having anyone on the like to the left of the person cross drawing, (or right if they are left handed).

I teach cross draw because I have students shoot with their weak hand as much as I do from their strong hand. Easy to draw the handgun from a cross draw holster with the weak hand. Difficult when carrying the handgun on the strong.

I also teach being prepared without brandishing or looking threatening. With the cross draw one can simply cross his arms and have his hand on the pistol under his -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- which wouldn't be menacing. Not so when you rest your hand on the gun on your strong side. That just looks like you have your hand on your gun.

Also, cross draw is easier when you are setting, as in a vehicle, or chair.

To each his own. I encourage people to practice both, (with an empty gun). Practice setting, standing, etc. to see which is more comfortable and easier to draw.

We're all different, Just practice both and see what's best for you. Stand in front of a mirror with you hand on your concealed gun and see which is more menacing, or which just looks natural without threatening.

Do not rule out comfort. If a carry gun isn't comfortable, you tend not to carry.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 28, 2017, 12:29 PM   #15
tony pasley

I have carried crossdraw a lot because it is practical for what I am doing most of the time. I spend most of my time on the farm or in the woods on horse back or driving. It does take time to get practiced at smooth draw but several feral dogs, coyotes, and snakes prove it works. Going to town I put on a drover vest and it is well covered. No it is not for everyone and no I don't spend much time in cities anymore.
Old February 28, 2017, 09:51 PM   #16
rodfac

I use the 3:30-4:00, FBI, concealed carry position with a slight cant. Since I build all of my own holsters, I can adjust the belt loop or slots (cant angle) to give me a holster positioned to allow the strong arm and wrist to remain in a firing position (straight fore arm and wrist) as the gun is grasped. A firing grip while still in the leather in other words with no awkward wrist contortions. To me the "FBI" position and cant is comfortable, easy to conceal, and offers an easy, straight forward draw movement.

One attribute of the straight forward draw movement offered by the "FBI" position/cant is that the rising gun barrel is tracking up through the target for most of it's swing. An early shot may still register a hit on target. There is no left to right or visa versa movement that needs to be stopped when aligned properly on target.

Over the years, I've almost unconsciously adapted my wardrobe to that position and it wasn't hard at all. Talking with knowledgeable trainers, I'd say that the majority promote that position...before I get flamed by one and all, I can't back that up with hard data. And too, their support for a strong side holster, is in part due to safety concerns while training and the reason that cross draws and shoulder holsters are often banned from training firing lines.

My problem with cross draw is two-fold: the problem of sweeping the area in front of me while drawing and the difficulty in concealing the gun in that position. I built and used a cross draw that was moderately comfortable in front of the left hip-bone, but found it impeded my driving while on the tractor, mower, and the Jeep. Too, for those that still ride hay-burners, the gun butt or hammer bangs against my elbow and wrist while hold the reins, especially at the trot and canter.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 28, 2017, 10:08 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

The only time I personally use a cross draw is when I'm carrying a long barred pistol in the field such as a 7 1/2" SAA revolver. I guess the only other time I would consider it is if I had my butt in a car for many hours and was in a situation when I had to do multiple stops at lights, etc. - sort of like it's easier to wear cross draw on a horse of most folks.

At a range, I would never want to cross draw and risk the possibility of sweeping any one including my left arm as I drew.

I carry OWB when I carry and usually at about 3:30 or 4:00 and I prefer a forward can't regardless if I'm carrying a revolver or semi. When I am riding in a car, if I have a shirt tail or jacket covering, I adjust them and the seat belt so I have access to draw.

I have trued many holsters - never liked IWB or center back. I used to use thumb break holsters but I have gone entirely to Fobus paddle holsters. Easy on and off - when on, very secure and they offer good retention but easy and quick draw if necessary without having to worry about a thumb break.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 28, 2017, 11:35 PM   #18
Brit

The main point of carrying concealed. You might be attacked, and being struggling physically with a criminal. You will not be in a good position, with a cross draw, to defend your holstered pistol.

The best overall position to place your pistol out of harms way, but still in a good position to draw. Is IMHO 3-30 right hip, for a right handed carrier.

The only time this is not so, in the case of bodyguard, or secret service Officer.

Standing, off to one side, you can actually hold your pistol, in a casual stance, looking like you are just folding your arms! In a vehicle, gesturing with your left hand, to mask your close proximity for a right handed draw. Right hand close to your pistol.

But, for me, 3-30 right hand.

Dress armed, for your job, or lifestyle. In my case, retired old Guy, always armed. A trimmed to fit Glock holster, cost $14.00? On a 1.5 inch wilderness frequent flier belt. And a Perry heavy duty pair of Suspenders. Kill sag.

They fasten to the belt with U shaped hooks, very solid.

And remember, dress armed, cloths that fit you into the general public, that also fit you, and make the draw fluid.

Last edited by Brit; March 1, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old March 1, 2017, 05:48 PM   #19
walks with gun

Cross draw is handy if you spend ant time on horseback, if your carrying a slung rifle ( it isn't beating against the pistol butt) much easier to draw from in cold weather, handy as heck if you have to use crutches, a walker or even a cane to get around. Some folk say that a cross draw is easier for someone to take away, but I think it's easier to defend than a holster behind the hip where someone could grab it from behind. My favorite thing about cross draw carry, is I can more easily draw with either hand. My prefered rig to carry any typeof handgun is a good pancake style with belt slots for either side so depending on what I'm doing I can switch to the other side if need be. And cro draw is great for driving or sitting.
Old March 1, 2017, 08:43 PM   #20
rodfac

Quote:
I carry OWB when I carry and usually at about 3:30 or 4:00 and I prefer a forward can't regardless if I'm carrying a revolver or semi. When I am riding in a car, if I have a shirt tail or jacket covering, I adjust them and the seat belt so I have access to draw.
Works for me too.

Quote:
Cross draw is handy if you spend ant time on horseback, if your carrying a slung rifle
On horseback with the reins in the left hand, a cross draw at most any gait bangs the hammer against my elbow and fore arm and the butt digs into the roll or horn. Too, I've never carried a rifle slung from the shoulder when mounted, it soon bounces off the shoulder. Across the back is possible but a PITA, and slow as molasses...a scabbard, slung on the near or far side is useful however, and keeps the long gun out of the way til needed.

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 1, 2017, 10:46 PM   #21
Rangerrich99

In town I'm carrying concealed, so I carry on my strong side, and most of my holsters are set up for FBI cant. In the woods I'm usually open carry, wearing a pack or a rifle or both, and some time about 28 years ago I decided to carry cross-draw. Mostly this was for comfort reasons, as camp chairs and the ground don't necessarily lend themselves to strong-side holsters with full-size revolvers in them. On the other hand, cross-draw is almost unnoticeable when seated. The other problem with strong-side carry occurs when I've got anything bigger than a day-pack on my back, or my rifle is hanging there with the buttstock banging against my sidearm with every other step.

And it's not slow; in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm a tenth or two faster pulling cross-draw. Which makes sense to me, anyway.

When I draw from a strong-side holster, my feet are about shoulder-width apart with my left foot about a half step in front of my right.

I pull almost vertically until the muzzle clears leather (about 8 inches, but my elbow travels over a foot), at which time I rotate the gun about 90 degrees and begin pushing out and up to the target. My support hand, which was palm against my belly, comes in from the side and (if I did everything right) clasps my strong hand and continues up to my eye-level.

From cross-draw, my body is almost completely bladed towards the target, with my left foot a full step in front of my right. My support hand is again on my belly, but I'm drawing back and up at about a 45 degree angle. The gun again moves about 7-8 inches, but now my elbow only travels about the same 8 inches, as it didn't have to scissor much at all to create that movement. Once my muzzle clears leather, I only need to rotate the muzzle about 45 degrees before I begin pushing up and out.

So from a purely physical point-of-view, cross-draw should be faster, as I'm simply moving the gun and my arm through less space, as well as rotating it through fewer degrees of arc.

YMMV of course. At any rate, I can draw just as fast if not faster from cross-draw as I can from strong-side. It just took some practice. Others results may not be the same, I suppose.

By the way, I'm not recommending that everyone should be carrying cross-draw; I'm just saying that when I'm in the field, cross-draw just works better for me and what I'm usually doing.

However, for EDC, cross-draw probably isn't always going to be a good idea. As others have mentioned , it's going to be harder to conceal a weapon with the butt posing as a tumor in the middle of your belly. And you may sweep some folks if you had to draw from a cross-draw holster. Also, if you plan to carry a compact gun in that cross-draw, the muzzle might just be pointed right at your hip inside your pants. Assuming anyone makes an IWB cross-draw holster. Don't think I've ever seen one?

Last edited by Rangerrich99; March 1, 2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old March 2, 2017, 04:06 AM   #22
Brit

Rangerrich99

Nice post, a little advice.

When drawing from the strong side, instead of lifting the pistol upwards, rather push it forward in a punch, to point of aim, when your hands stop moving, your eye is behind the sight, eye level.

Then the pistol fires, the trigger is being depressed, and at the moment the hands stop moving, the pistol fires. How to practice? Lots of dry firing.
Old March 3, 2017, 05:18 PM   #23
Shimpy

Clint Eastwood or John Wayne would never be caught dead cross-drawing.
Old March 3, 2017, 05:46 PM   #24
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Nice post, a little advice.

When drawing from the strong side, instead of lifting the pistol upwards, rather push it forward in a punch, to point of aim, when your hands stop moving, your eye is behind the sight, eye level.

Then the pistol fires, the trigger is being depressed, and at the moment the hands stop moving, the pistol fires. How to practice? Lots of dry firing.
@Brit;

Thanks, both for the compliment and the advice.

I'll start practicing that next week.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:15 PM   #25
g.willikers

A cross draw second pistol was plenty ok for a lot of serious shootists back when the sixgun was king.
Like most things, how safe or effective it is depends on who is carrying it.

Last edited by g.willikers; March 4, 2017 at 09:32 AM.