The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 8, 2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Ramey

Home on the range

Hello all. So my dream is to have a shooting range on my property. I need to know how many acres I need. I mostly shoot handgun and semi auto rifles. 100 yards would suffice. I would of course put in a proper backstop and would need to be outside the city limits to be legal. I hope this isn't a pipe dream. So how many acres do I need to tell the realtor be looking for?
Old February 9, 2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Colorado Redneck

An acre is 43,560 sq. ft. If the shape of an acre of land is square, it would be approx. 208 feet x 208 feet. So go from there. If the piece of ground was 100 ft wide, then it would be 435 feet long.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:47 AM   #3
jmhyer

The primary concern is not so much the size of your property, but rather what's going on down range and around you. It's the age-old adage for real estate -- "location, location, location."

Is there danger to life or property if a projectile escapes your acreage? Are there neighbors whom are likely to gripe and otherwise make trouble for you about noise? A shooting range in the middle of otherwise uninhabited acreage is doable on less than an acre.
Old February 9, 2017, 08:35 AM   #4
5whiskey

Quote:
The primary concern is not so much the size of your property, but rather what's going on down range and around you. It's the age-old adage for real estate -- "location, location, location."
This. An acre and a half way out in the sticks would likely be plenty of room. But then you do have to consider the neighbors. Are they far enough away that noise will not be an issue? Even if you have a proper backstop, the possibility of an errant round cannot be ruled out. Especially if your backstop is merely a berm. Rounds can and will skip off a berm. The have very little energy after that, but enough to do damage.

I've often debated on making a backstop to fire a suppressed pistol at in the back yard. I continue to realize that I'm better off to just do any yard practice with an air pistol.
Old February 9, 2017, 09:05 AM   #5
UncleEd

See thread entitled

"Advice for those seeking advice"
Old February 9, 2017, 09:15 AM   #6
lamarw

The shape of the land is another consideration. I live in a valley with a large hill as a backstop. When I say hill I am referring to a relatively quick 200' change in elevation and it is wooded. There is no one on the hill or on the other side of the hill. Beyond the hill is 7,000 acres of forest owned by a utility company. The other side of my property is a 40,000 + acre lake. I do not shoot in the direction of the lake. The hill is not rocky. It is akin to shooting into a clay embankment.

Even on small acreage, you can build a backstop and have your downrange area away from habitation and roads.
Old February 9, 2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Ramey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
See thread entitled

"Advice for those asking for advice"
Northwest Ohio
Old February 9, 2017, 10:16 AM   #8
jonnyc

That might not be enough. You will need to check state, county, city, town, local regs.
Old February 10, 2017, 11:43 AM   #9
jackstrawIII

As JMHYER stated, size of the property isn't a huge concern, it's the surroundings.

Things to consider:
1. Where will the bullets go?
2. Where will the sound go?

It is illegal to shoot a gun within 500 ft of a dwelling (at least in NY it is), so start there and answer the two above questions. Even if you build a "safe" backstop, will the neighbor next door place a grievance whenever you shoot because the noise is rattling his dishes?
Old February 10, 2017, 03:29 PM   #10
osbornk

The first thing I would do is check the local zoning laws, bulding restrictions and requirements to see if they will even allow the business. In some areas, anything to do with guns are not welcome. My sister-in-law bought what she thought was a perfect piece of property to build a business only to find out that it didn't meet zoning and other requirements. She finally resold the land but at a loss.
Old February 10, 2017, 03:35 PM   #11
cjwils

There may be big differences in the local laws if your range is totally private versus being operated as a business. Some of the comments above are about businesses.
Old February 10, 2017, 04:30 PM   #12
jmhyer

I didn't get the feeling that this is going to be a business...just a range for personal/private use.
Old February 10, 2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Ramey

100% private use. Here in Ohio there are cities surrounded by miles of cornfields. Will there be neighbors yes. But they would be miles away. The shooting range I used to belong to has closed because a neighbors house was "allegedly" hit. I'm trying to avoid this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 10, 2017, 11:59 PM   #14
ShootistPRS

Check your county regs.
In the county I live in and the next county to the south there are few rules that cover personal gun ranges. Private ranges are different and so are public ranges. I can have a personal gun range on my property so long as I don't endanger any one or any adjacent property. That is the sticking point. Try to sell your home and acreage when there is a guy shooting guns just down the road. Now, shooting in my area must start after 8:am on weekdays and after 9:am on weekends. Shooting must stop at 10pm and if you are shooting after dark the targets and adjacent area must be lit.
If a neighbor a mile down the road produces a bullet you can be held responsible. The neighbor down the road should know that a live round is not a bullet before they call the sheriff. It really helps to get to know the law enforcement folks in your area - have them over for a BBQ and show off your range. If they want to shoot let them know the rules and be your own range master. If it is done professionally you will see more of them as friends than you would otherwise as law enforcement. It might also help to invite the neighbors over too. If they come and see that they are not in danger they can be a lot easier to get along with.