The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #1
NJgunowner

Sig556 swat patrol

I got to test a couple of new guns this weekend, and this was the other one. I bought this thing back in January I believe but haven't been able to test it out until recently.

The short part... it was awesome! Now for the longer part.

I really like the trigger on this thing, it was light with a clean break. And the recoil was sublime. It's a bit nose heavy and 5.56 doesn't recoil much to begin with though. It was accurate once I figured out the diaopter sight it came with. I'm going to need some optics though, I'm getting vision issues in my old age . I tried American Eagle, Herters, and Independence with no problems at all.

It's a snap to dissemble and clean. Even the gas blow back system is easy, and I thought that would be a pain.

Now, some things that could be improved are the diaopter sights. It might be better outside with better lighting but it took me a while to get used to, and I couldn't try out the 100yd + because the range I was using only has 25yd. The other thing I wish they'd done is not use a pencil barrel. It's doesn't hurt in anyway, I just think it'd look better

This isn't the gun for everyone, but it's the one for me. If you like a simple design similar to an AK, but with better build and accuracy this might be the one for you. If you were in the military and are more comfortable with the AR-15, maybe not... though you might find you like it You can also get it chambered in 7.62x39 , which is pretty cool if you aren't a 5.56 person.

And don't get suckered by old reviews. When they first released the rifle back in the day it had some issues, but Sig fixed any that were sent back to them and all the new ones since like 2008 or so are rock solid.

Last edited by NJgunowner; July 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2
pat701

I bought one in 2011, it was made on my birthday. IMHO it is a very under rated rifle. As reliable as an AK-47, and almost as accurate as a stock AR-15. I have 1500 mil-surp trouble free rounds thru mine. It is my SHTF rifle now. The 556 will take care of business easily out to 100yds, and farther. It is a VERY solid rifle. I am glad i bought it NIB for $975. As long as you remember that it is a battle rifle and not a target rifle you will be happy with one.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
stubbicatt

OP I'm glad you like yours~! Initially I liked mine too. Until, that is, I tried to find suitable optics. While it has a rail atop the receiver, the usual suspect AR15 type optics will typically stilt into the air too much for you to get a cheek weld. I finally compromised on a red dot sight mounted pretty forward on the rail, as no tube type scope could clear the rear diopter sight and still provide for a suitable cheek weld. I could have removed the rear sight, but in the end I simply sold the rifle.

The other thing that bugged me is cleaning it, you get a lot of smuts inside the hand guards, which adds a step to the cleaning regimen. In the end I didn't see in mine anything better than the AR, and the AR is lighter.

I'll grant you I never had a jam or misfire or FTE or anysuchthing. It was boringly reliable.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Patriot86

I have a 556 Classic SWAT and I love it.
I solved the sight issue by adding a double diamlong law supply AR-15 stock adapter which changes the feel of the rifle a bit.
I now have an adjustable, folding SIG 556 rifle that I love. The trigger is a little meh but you get used to it. The front heavyness doesn't bug me for what I use it for(Bipods are sweet).

For what I use it fore (Varmint destruction out to 100 yards) its perfect.

I only wish I could find a red dot that would be suitable to co-witness but such is life.

This is just me but IMO the "H&K style" roatery diopter sight set up works better than the traditional AR-15 sight set up as far as accuracy and ease of use.
Old July 17, 2013, 11:32 PM   #5
EdInk

Mine had QC issues and I never really warmed up to it fully. I think my Arsenal SGL-21 and Colt M-4 are both superior to it. If I could an original SIG 550 perhaps my opinion would change but my 556 Classic never really did it for me.
At least now they come with the proper stock from the factory.