The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 10, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Has Anyone Made The Roll Marks Disappear On Their 1911?

I'm picking up a used SA Mil Spec 1911 and I think I want to change the look of it a bit. I love the look of this Monolith...

...but can't afford one of them plus having someone do the work on it.

I know the SA doesn't have the full length dust cover, which I do like, but I also like the clean looking slide on this particular Monolith.

So, has anyone removed the roll marks on their 1911 themselves with any success? And, if so, how did you do it and is it worth the trouble?
Old May 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Don P

A lot of sanding or use of files. Lots of work and what ever method you choose make dam sure you are good at keeping the surface flat. A slide with waves in would really suck and look absolutely terrible. Belt sander would suffice. Then remember it will have to be refinished.
Good luck and please post before and after photos
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Jason_G

I've seen sandpaper adhered to a very flat surface work well. The slide is moved across the sandpaper, not the other way around. Never done it myself, but I've seen others get very good results.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old May 10, 2012, 06:48 PM   #4
BarryLee

Could the roll marks be filled with something that the coating would adhere to? Maybe some type of auto body filler not necessarily old school bondo, but some more modern material. Also, what about filling it with some type of metal like solder or brazing material?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 10, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
BigJimP

Sometimes you just have to live with the look you can afford....

In general, I'd resist "bubba-fying" the slide on your gun ...or the dust cover area on your gun ....

I think its something you're going to really regret ....
Old May 10, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Adamantium

Without ruining the value of your gun, it would be impossible to do.

The far better alternative would be the replace the old slide with a new slide, but that would be like converting a 2wd truck to 4wd. In other words you'd be ahead just getting the one you want and not messing with it. If you want to see someone having a hard time selling a gun, look on gunbroker for someone trying to get value out of their customized low end 1911.

But it case you really really want to tinker, Caspian makes slides without roll marks. http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=SLGM

Living within your means sounds like the best advice here. Besides you won't see the roll marks or dust cover when you are actually shooting the gun.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

Well, I wasn't too worried about the dust cover, I just like the clean look of the slide with no roll marks. It never hurts to ask, though. I've seen a couple of guys take the billboards off of their Ruger revolvers and they turned out pretty nice. Wasn't sure if it would be an easy mod on the 1911 or not, though.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:14 PM   #8
ep2621

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=347787
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old May 10, 2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

By the time you remove enough metal to remove the stampings, you will have cut into the serrations.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Therealkoop

This is one of the reasons I love Dan Wessons.

No BS on the slide.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:12 PM   #11
makarov

I wish my Pointman Seven didn't have forward slide serrations, but it shoots sooooo well, I can forgive that small aesthetic issue... I bought it used and got a great deal on it, so can't complain. Really like the plain slides without extra serrations on them too, but would not start filing on my slide to get rid of them.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:29 AM   #12
WC145

I just had this Clark Meltdown Colt 1991A1 Compact refinished and had the gunsmith remove the rollmarks since they were already thin from when the melt was done and the 1991A1 rollmarks look bad even when new. Plus, I also prefer the look of a clean slide. I'm told that flat surfaces and patience are the two most important ingredients to getting it done right.

Before-

After-
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 12, 2012, 09:46 AM   #13
JN01

Wow, that's one beautiful bluing job.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #14
oplofilo

Wow! Excellent work! Now is so much better than before!

Nullius boni sine socio iucunda possessio est.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:14 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

WC145 - Your Clark meltdown looks like an oil painting.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:27 PM   #16
pdogkilr

I have an SR1911 that is being worked on. I requested the slide roll marks be stripped, and the owner's manual warning removed from the bottom of the dust cover. I will have no regrets.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:08 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
I wish my Pointman Seven didn't have forward slide serrations, but it shoots sooooo well, I can forgive that small aesthetic issue.
To each his own. No forward slide serrations is an aesthetic positive in my book.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "