The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2011, 07:46 AM   #1
bossman

Older Remington 1100 and steel shot

I have a 1100 Remington and people say not to use steel shot. I don't duck hunt with it so are steel shot shells marked on the box. If the box don"t have steel on it I should be good to go right? What about turkey steel or something else?

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old November 15, 2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Fleabag

I really don't know if it's a wife's tale or not but I have heard it a lot, not to use old barrels with steel shot bc they were not designed for said use. You can allways get a new barrel or shoot modern alloy loads that resemble lead in performance (density). Err on the side of caution and use regular loads until you get a deffinite answer from Remington.

PS - I have an old 11-87 first year of production model before the ban of lead loads for waterfowl hunting and I shoot steel loads regularly with no apparent ill effect. I really don't know if the barrel was design with steel shot in mind.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #3
nutty ned

Yes, steel shot shells have steel on the box. Turkey steel shot is steel shot in a different box.

The issue with steel shot in 1100 and newer guns is the choke, fixed full I would not shoot steel. Mod or bigger I would not worry about it.
With choke tubes, they make a full choke tube that is made for steel.
I still use mod or more open for steel.